Steve Harper

Guest SLK

Harper isn't as good as Given tbf.

I disagree...

Then in my opinion you are wrong :D

Given has proven over a number of years he is one of the most consitant goalkeepers in the premiership. Even those who are considered better than him are more prone to mistakes than Shay is.

You can blame it on rustyness for Harper making the odd mistake (and thats fair to an extent) and he has done very well for us this season but he still has a long way to go until he proves he is as good as Given.

Guest Ridzuan

I think lets not argue between who is better.I believe we have two great goalkeepers at the club,not many clubs have it,and I think both of them are just as reliable and good as one another.Maybe one of them is better,but at the end of the day,I believe whoever is chosen to play will put in their best effort and that there is nothing we should worry about.

Guest optimistic nit

I think because Given has threatened many times to walk out of the team and move somewhere else while Harper never kicked a fuss about how unlucky he has been...I remember during the early years of SBR when Given came out crying to the media that he should be played in all competitions including FA Cup games when at that time SBR was giving Shay the premiere league games while Harper was given the FA Cup games...

Sorry but I have never heard of any such actions by Given.

aye, you're talking rubbish there lyke. He's not as good as given either, although he has restored my belief in his goalkeeping ability somewhat after a terrible start last season.

Why isn't he as good as Given ? Given would have been as rusty as Harper was last year after being in exile from the first time football for years

because some of the saves given has made are out of this world. the one that springs to mind was the one against henry last season. i mean would harper save that, would he fuck. A volley inside the box unmarked going in the top corner and given saves it.

Harper is good, he makes good saves, but he wouldn't make some of the great saves given has made over the years.

I think because Given has threatened many times to walk out of the team and move somewhere else while Harper never kicked a fuss about how unlucky he has been...I remember during the early years of SBR when Given came out crying to the media that he should be played in all competitions including FA Cup games when at that time SBR was giving Shay the premiere league games while Harper was given the FA Cup games...

Sorry but I have never heard of any such actions by Given.

It is well know that Given handed in a transfer request in Robson's early days when he did not walk straight back into the team after injury.  I don''t know if he has made any such threats since but then until last season, he has been pretty much an ever present.  The transfer request is something that he has talked about himself at various talk-ins I have attended.

However, Allardyce recently said himself that had positions been reversed, he could not imagine Given being as patient as Harper as been.

It's a superb situation for us to be in. Two top keepers, one makes a mistake then there's a fired up replacement waiting in the wings 100% focussed on getting their place back and keeping it.

Hopefully a theme that continues through the whole squad now, everyone knowing that if they put a foot wrong they have someone breathing down their neck. To bring Given straight back would put out all the wrong messages.

Well done Sam

I think Harper has improved a lot since last season, we're seeing the old Harper again.

He had barely played a minute of football for years (apart from in the odd cup game) so it was understandable he was, well, a bit rubbish in 06/07.

Really glad we kept a hold of him even though he really could of been playing for England if he'd moved elsewhere.

Guest optimistic nit

It's a superb situation for us to be in. Two top keepers, one makes a mistake then there's a fired up replacement waiting in the wings 100% focussed on getting their place back and keeping it.

Hopefully a theme that continues through the whole squad now, everyone knowing that if they put a foot wrong they have someone breathing down their neck. To bring Given straight back would put out all the wrong messages.

Well done Sam

how is that sam's doing, they've both been here for over 10 years :lol:

Guest optimistic nit

The position should be that the man in posession keeps the jersey till he has a bad game.

bit reactionary though? i'd hate to be a keeper with the knowlage that one bad game could see me sitting out for months.

bit reactionary though? i'd hate to be a keeper with the knowlage that one bad game could see me sitting out for months.

Until now Harper hasn't even had the comfort of being dropped after a bad game, he was dropped as soon as Given came back, regardless of his form.

Giving him a bad game before being dropped is a step forward for Harper.

The position should be that the man in posession keeps the jersey till he has a bad game.

That's bull, tbh.  If we signed Ronaldinho would people be calling for him to be dropped if he had a bad game?  And with a keeper it'd be even worse, playing one bad game and getting dropped would make them lose total confidence.

Given is our number 1, and by far the better keeper.  If he's fit, he plays.

Anyone who thinks Harper should be first choice must have been out on the lash last night, as they seems to have forgotten what has gone on in the past 7 years.

Well yeah...It seems I have forgotten...Can you remind me please !!!

That's bull, tbh.  If we signed Ronaldinho would people be calling for him to be dropped if he had a bad game?  And with a keeper it'd be even worse, playing one bad game and getting dropped would make them lose total confidence.

Given is our number 1, and by far the better keeper.  If he's fit, he plays.

Totally agree blueyes.gif

Guest Kenton Magpie

If Harper had any real ambition he would have packed his bags and upped sticks long ago instead of sitting in Shay's shadow

Harpers ambition might be to play regularly for Newcastle, how would packing his bags help him achieve that?

How? it isn’t a hard one to come up with an answer for, if he makes a move to another club which will require him to pack his bags he is going to get far more games under his belt than he is living under the Messiah's shadow

Guest optimistic nit

If Harper had any real ambition he would have packed his bags and upped sticks long ago instead of sitting in Shay's shadow

Harpers ambition might be to play regularly for Newcastle, how would packing his bags help him achieve that?

How? it isn’t a hard one to come up with an answer for, if he makes a move to another club which will require him to pack his bags he is going to get far more games under his belt than he is living under the Messiah's shadow

see that word that starts with "N" and ends with "castle"? obviously not.

IMO it should be done by overall form in training and matches. If harper has 1 bad game but overall has been playing very well, and has been doing just as good as shay in training, he plays.

Both of them are s**** at saving long shots.

Not as bad a Robinson though :lol:

Both are a bit shakey on crosses at times.

Both good shot stoppers but Given has the edge for me.

Harper has a better command of area.

I'm not sure what I would do. Dropping Harps seems harsh as he has played really well.