Premier League Games Today.

Parky

Guest Knightrider

The most important thing when getting the ball in is to play it early, that way it puts the defenders about when picking up men and makes it hard to organise themselves.

Wrong. Myth. So so wrong. Not when as was the case with Milner he was carrying the ball himself and being stood up by a defender. You are only best advised to whip in a cross first time if you're running onto the ball; i.e. when the ball has been played into space and the defence are on the back foot, NOT when you yourself are carrying the ball and being stood up by an opponent as was the case (again) with Milner at the weekend.

He did the right thing.

You're criticising Milner for doing what is the correct thing to do, what he will have been trained to do since he was a bairn.

BTW you do realise defenders are trained to deal with early crosses while strikers are trained to deal will all kinds of crosses (as are defenders like), it is called variation and where crossing is concerned there is no real definitive right and wrong thing to do.

Can you name me the other wingers that turn on themselves 3 or 4 times in a game before getting a cross in if it's the right thing to do?

Ronaldo does it, although he's usually running at centre-backs through the middle or simply beats his man taking him out of the picture, Robben used to do it, SWP does, Young does, Lennon does, Barry does and he's not even a winger, lots of players do because that's the correct thing to do if you're being stood up by a defender.

Had Milner reached the defender and whiped in a cross first time it would have deflected off the defender or gone over everyone's head. Instead he cut back, the defender wasn't buying it, so he tried again and again until finally, he ANGLED himself a chance to cross.

He did the correct thing.

Also you again exaggerate, he doesn't do it all the time, his wing play is varied and so is his crossing.

You're trying to be clever by seeing one abstract moment of play and basing a lot of things on that which falls apart when viewed in a wider picture.

Why did he check back? Because the defender was standing him up.

Why did he check back again? Because the defender wasn't buying it.

Why did he not whip it in first time?

Because he couldn't, because had he tried to it would have hit the defender or sailed over heads.

You only whip in a ball first time if you are running onto the ball after it's been played into space or you have. Not if you are carrying the ball, which is what Milner was doing.

Of course he didn't have to check back over and over again, he could have played it off his man for a corner  or sped past him, but he doesn't have that kind of pace and again there is no guarantee he'd beat his man. No, he done the right thing alright.

Honestly Baggio I'm shocked you don't understand this, it's common sense and basic wing play.

re Milner, I can't believe the stick he gets on here. He's still a kid, for fuck's sake, give him a chance. No, the end product isn't always there, but he's still some way of the finished product, and very, very promising.

I'd have to say, I think Young is a better player - at the moment - than Milner is, but I'd also say that I'd happily swap Milner for Agbonlahor. I thought against us the other week (and, indeed, last season) he was your best player by far, and looked the only player likely to fashion a chance.

One thing I hate about modern football is the "i want it all NOW" tendency - whether it be giving Allardyce (or any Martin Jol by the same measure) shit because he doesn't get things perfectly right straight away, or expecting kids who are only just too old to play for the U21s to achieve perfection.

Give him a chance.

re Milner, I can't believe the stick he gets on here. He's still a kid, for fuck's sake, give him a chance. No, the end product isn't always there, but he's still some way of the finished product, and very, very promising.

I'd have to say, I think Young is a better player - at the moment - than Milner is, but I'd also say that I'd happily swap Milner for Agbonlahor. I thought against us the other week (and, indeed, last season) he was your best player by far, and looked the only player likely to fashion a chance.

One thing I hate about modern football is the "i want it all NOW" tendency - whether it be giving Allardyce (or any Martin Jol by the same measure) shit because he doesn't get things perfectly right straight away, or expecting kids who are only just too old to play for the U21s to achieve perfection.

Give him a chance.

Good post, I agree.

re Milner, I can't believe the stick he gets on here. He's still a kid, for f***'s sake, give him a chance. No, the end product isn't always there, but he's still some way of the finished product, and very, very promising.

One thing I hate about modern football is the "i want it all NOW" tendency - whether it be giving Allardyce (or any Martin Jol by the same measure) s*** because he doesn't get things perfectly right straight away, or expecting kids who are only just too old to play for the U21s to achieve perfection.

Give him a chance.

Good post, I agree.

Exactly. At the end of the day, I knew exactly what kind of player he was going to be for us when he came back from Villa on the last day last season and came straight back into the team.

He showed real maturity and professionalism by just coming back and getting on with the job he was given - he's arguably one of the best attackers we've got, not in terms of scoring because he's a bit off in that department atm, but in terms of creating.

If it was somebody like Martins that we sent to Villa and then recalled just as he was agreeing terms, the attitude difference would be immense.

re Milner, I can't believe the stick he gets on here. He's still a kid, for f***'s sake, give him a chance. No, the end product isn't always there, but he's still some way of the finished product, and very, very promising.

One thing I hate about modern football is the "i want it all NOW" tendency - whether it be giving Allardyce (or any Martin Jol by the same measure) s*** because he doesn't get things perfectly right straight away, or expecting kids who are only just too old to play for the U21s to achieve perfection.

Give him a chance.

Good post, I agree.

Exactly. At the end of the day, I knew exactly what kind of player he was going to be for us when he came back from Villa on the last day last season and came straight back into the team.

He showed real maturity and professionalism by just coming back and getting on with the job he was given - he's arguably one of the best attackers we've got, not in terms of scoring because he's a bit off in that department atm, but in terms of creating.

If it was somebody like Martins that we sent to Villa and then recalled just as he was agreeing terms, the attitude difference would be immense.

Absolutely cock on, mate, I meant to mention that - his attitude after what went on on deadline day.

A lot of players would have got the hump, reacted badly, sat it out till the January window, but Milner did the absolute opposite, and dug in and did his best. You really couldn't ask for a better attitude.

Oh, going back to the original subject of today's games ..... the Zat Knight signing left me perplexed to say the least (especially as we signed Curtis Davies just after), but I do like the fact that in the team today we had Knight, Moore, Agbonlahor, plus Gardener on the bench, who are all Brummie born and bred Villa fans.

But what made me smile the most was Knight's reaction after scoring, the badge thumping thing. Far more convincing than seeing cunts like Lumpard doing it.

PS I've been drinking.

Oh, going back to the original subject of today's games ..... the Zat Knight signing left me perplexed to say the least (especially as we signed Curtis Davies just after), but I do like the fact that in the team today we had Knight, Moore, Agbonlahor, plus Gardener on the bench, who are all Brummie born and bred Villa fans.

But what made me smile the most was Knight's reaction after scoring, the badge thumping thing. Far more convincing than seeing cunts like Lumpard doing it.

PS I've been drinking.

I liked Aston Vanilla somewhat already, and this fella here does nothing but enhance that feeling.

Was actually hoping for a 1-1 simply due to Villa being our rivals and Chelsea being in another league to us altogether, but couldn't hold back a sneaky grin when Agbonlahor turned in their second. Proper club, proper style, proper players, proper manager. Can't say fairer than that.

Incidentally, Roman flouncing off, and Ellis's shit-eating grin as he shook his hand on the way out ...... the old fucker has been the bane of my life, but fair play to him on this one.

http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/599/dougsmilexj3.jpg

PS European Cup winning goalscorer sat behind him.

Guest Knightrider

PS I've been drinking.

Knight isn't a bad player really and I'm sure O'Neill will get him to perform solidly, if he can do one thing for players he can keep them focused which has always been a problem of Knight's. He did the same with Balde at Celtic, a similar type of defender and at Leicester turned a very average championship standard defender in Elliott into a rock. I think Villa now have a decent team and like us just lack real quality in certain areas, although I'd say your squad isn't the strongest and you also lack a finisher, but you're getting there it would seem, very impressive performance yesterday.

Incidentally, Roman flouncing off, and Ellis's shit-eating grin as he shook his hand on the way out ...... the old fucker has been the bane of my life, but fair play to him on this one.

http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/599/dougsmilexj3.jpg

PS European Cup winning goalscorer sat behind him.

looks like Ellis is stroking out there.

Give him a chance.

you and your lot give agbonlahor similar stick. if that swap is still open then allardyce would jump at the chance, tho i'm sure O'Neill wouldn't take it in a million years.

Excellent performance by Young, the sort of attacking performance that Milner will NEVER put in.

Young is in a totally different league to Milner that is beyond debate.

Btw Milner put in that sort of performance at SJP last season against a much better Chelsea full-back in Paulo Ferreira. Short memories.

And you might want to ask Brummie about how well Milner did at Villa for them.

He done well in a s*** Villa team in the same way he dome well in a s*** Newcastle team last year, mainly because of his 100% attitude which other players don't have.

He will never be a top player though and won't be good enough for our first team if we've got serious ambitions about becoming a top team again, personally I'd have sold him in the summer and tried to bring someone like SWP in.

Hold on, you said he would never put in the kind of performance Young did EVER, yet I just pointed out to you he already has done, err, against the same top team, Chelsea.

I agree he isn't good enough to be playing regular for a top four side but then I don't believe Young would be either or Lennon, and SWP who you advocate us replacing Milner with, hasn't exactly performed for Chelsea, one of the big four, has he.

That said, I believe Milner is better than Pennant who currently plays for the team at the top of the table and I wouldn't be as quick as you are to write his whole career off just yet.

Love how you use almost anything to justify your dislike of Milner though, even ignoring facts and concrete proof such as Milner's performance against Chelsea last season that pretty much flies in the face of your entire argument that a) he can't perform against such sides and b) that he's never going to be good enough for a top 4 side, despite the player you want us to replace him with having proved he actually isn't.

:lol:

I'm sorry but this time you are talking rubbish...Milner is good but not the same class as Young, SWP and even Penant and do you know why ? The same reason you think it is not important...SPEED and lots of it...

IF YOU ARE A WINGER YOU NEED SPEED...Even silly to discuss this...

Excellent performance by Young, the sort of attacking performance that Milner will NEVER put in.

Young is in a totally different league to Milner that is beyond debate.

Btw Milner put in that sort of performance at SJP last season against a much better Chelsea full-back in Paulo Ferreira. Short memories.

And you might want to ask Brummie about how well Milner did at Villa for them.

He done well in a s*** Villa team in the same way he dome well in a s*** Newcastle team last year, mainly because of his 100% attitude which other players don't have.

He will never be a top player though and won't be good enough for our first team if we've got serious ambitions about becoming a top team again, personally I'd have sold him in the summer and tried to bring someone like SWP in.

Hold on, you said he would never put in the kind of performance Young did EVER, yet I just pointed out to you he already has done, err, against the same top team, Chelsea.

I agree he isn't good enough to be playing regular for a top four side but then I don't believe Young would be either or Lennon, and SWP who you advocate us replacing Milner with, hasn't exactly performed for Chelsea, one of the big four, has he.

That said, I believe Milner is better than Pennant who currently plays for the team at the top of the table and I wouldn't be as quick as you are to write his whole career off just yet.

Love how you use almost anything to justify your dislike of Milner though, even ignoring facts and concrete proof such as Milner's performance against Chelsea last season that pretty much flies in the face of your entire argument that a) he can't perform against such sides and b) that he's never going to be good enough for a top 4 side, despite the player you want us to replace him with having proved he actually isn't.

:lol:

I'm sorry but this time you are talking rubbish...Milner is good but not the same class as Young, SWP and even Penant and do you know why ? The same reason you think it is not important...SPEED and lots of it...

IF YOU ARE A WINGER YOU NEED SPEED...Even silly to discuss this...

Penant? Do me a favour.

Aye, the likes of Solano, Beckham, Pires, etc. were all s*** because they weren't very quick.

So now Milner is comparable to Beckham, Pires and Solano :lol: Stop it man, don't make me laugh even louder :lol:

BTW Milner is even slower than the aforementioned ones...

Aye, the likes of Solano, Beckham, Pires, etc. were all s*** because they weren't very quick.

two of them were the best crossers of the ball i've seen in the premier league, ever.

But no good for SLK. He'd rather have the likes of Dyer or Des Hamilton out on the wing.

If you think Dyer was a winger then then I won't waste my time arguing with you because obviously you don't understand what a position of winger is...

Guest Knightrider

Pace is a good attribute to have but not the be all and end all, give me skill and technique over pace and no skill or technique any day of the week. I.e. Milner over a Dyer.

The most important thing when getting the ball in is to play it early, that way it puts the defenders about when picking up men and makes it hard to organise themselves.

Wrong. Myth. So so wrong. Not when as was the case with Milner he was carrying the ball himself and being stood up by a defender. You are only best advised to whip in a cross first time if you're running onto the ball; i.e. when the ball has been played into space and the defence are on the back foot, NOT when you yourself are carrying the ball and being stood up by an opponent as was the case (again) with Milner at the weekend.

He did the right thing.

You're criticising Milner for doing what is the correct thing to do, what he will have been trained to do since he was a bairn.

BTW you do realise defenders are trained to deal with early crosses while strikers are trained to deal will all kinds of crosses (as are defenders like), it is called variation and where crossing is concerned there is no real definitive right and wrong thing to do.

Can you name me the other wingers that turn on themselves 3 or 4 times in a game before getting a cross in if it's the right thing to do?

Robert Vs Blackburn in the 5-1 game. Cut back on himself four times, until it was the right time to cross. Nobby was unmarked at the back stick and simply nodded it in.

Pace is a good attribute to have but not the be all and end all, give me skill and technique over pace and no skill or technique any day of the week. I.e. Milner over a Dyer.

Why are you comparing Milner with Dyer ? Aren't we talking about wingers ? Then don't mention Dyer...Talk about SWP, Lennon, N'Zogbia, Christiano Ronaldo, Nani if you don't want to talk about Young and Penant which I think are better than Milner because he lacks speed and speed is one of the most important attributes of a winger...Skill and technique I agree are very important attributes too and you have to have them to have the complete winger and that is why I think Young has more of these three attributes (speed, skill and technique) than Milner does...