Great start to the season

Guest Alan Shearer 9

Guest Alan Shearer 9

Bit of positivity for you to ponder. Stating the obvious but we're basically 3rd after 5 games if you take us beating Derby as a given, and 2 points off top spot. We have over a week now for the squad to settle, people like Beye/Enrique to get to a position where they can start games and if we beat Derby in a convincing way it could galvanise the squad into going on a run where we stay in the top 5 for a while. If we do progress like this I think we can get top six fine, which for me would be a success. When we drew against Borough/Villa I was disappointed/gutted in the case of the Smoggies but looking at the facts on paper we've had the best start to a season in quite a while. That is all.

While I agree it is a good start to the season I will say this. The teams that we have played haven't exactly been great. Bolton have been woeful so far this season, Villa may push for the top 10, Boro are a bottom 8 team and as are Wigan. Also none of these teams have exactly made a great start to the season, the highest placed of them is 9th and the lowest is 19th.

The real test will come against the Big 4, Spurs, Everton, Man City, Blackburn and Portsmouth.

While I agree it is a good start to the season I will say this. The teams that we have played haven't exactly been great. Bolton have been woeful so far this season, Villa may push for the top 10, Boro are a bottom 8 team and as are Wigan. Also none of these teams have exactly made a great start to the season, the highest placed of them is 9th and the lowest is 19th.

The real test will come against the Big 4, Spurs, Everton, Man City, Blackburn and Portsmouth.

We play that standard of team every season beginning and do shite.

So far we've looked like one of the best teams in the league defensivley. The right players are in place to score those goals that Benjani, Yakubu, Carew and Bianchi won't score. We just need some creativity, and then it's down to us vs Tottenham if you look at quality. Blackburn, Villa, City, Pompey and Everton will push on but it's only Tottenham and us who has that edge.

BTW: When was the last time we had 8 points after 4 games?

So far we've looked like one of the best teams in the league defensivley. The right players are in place to score those goals that Benjani, Yakubu, Carew and Bianchi won't score. We just need some creativity, and then it's down to us vs Tottenham if you look at quality. Blackburn, Villa, City, Pompey and Everton will push on but it's only Tottenham and us who has that edge.

The Stat King says: 2001-02. We have only bettered that points return on four occasions in't Premier League: 94-95, 95-96, 97-98, 2000-01.

That's my view on it aswell.

Don't get me wrong, teams of Bolton's standard would have given us a problem last season so progress is being made. 

But we've had a pretty easy start to the season compared to some other teams so I feel our current league position might be artificially high.

Been an excellent start but people are writing off Derby already

I dont think we will go there and win, i would be very happy with a draw, people think it will be so easy because they are bottom

I dont think we will go there and win, i would be very happy with a draw, people think it will be so easy because they are bottom

Regardless of whether people are writing Derby off or not, given their form, I wouldnt be happy with anything other than a win.

I think you should include "AND MOST PESSIMISTIC" to your sig.

Would be a typically Newcastle thing to do if we went to Derby and got turned over 1-0.

Seen it too many times before to start thinking its an easy 3 points.

I think Everton could be in that group as well with Blackburn heading the remaining teams.

Really can't take a win at Derby as a given by any means, nevermind expect to beat them comfortably.

I'd happily take a jammy 1-0.

Good start though, yeah.

Id be happy regardless of how we beat them, as long as we beat them. I just think that given their form, anything other than a win would be considered as points dropped.

Within 5 posts people are questioning our ability to beat Derby....Unreal. mackems.gif

You think it's safe to assume we'll beat them?

We should beat them, obviously, but it's idiotic to just assume that it should be an easy three points.

I think the situation should be judged in context. It's been a good start to the season, no doubt about that, but on paper it's also been a gentle introduction.

Basically Derby is a must-win game in my book, because after that we face a revitalised West Ham followed by Man City, Everton and Spurs. Those games will give us a real measure of where we are. The only decent team we've faced (Villa) contained us very easily, so we still have a long way to go.

Picking up the 'easy' points is what it's all about, I've always maintained that you don't need to be that good a side to finish high up, keep beating the bottom half teams and you're most of the way there.

As you say this window has come at a good time the new arrivals, gives them a bit of time away from the spotlight to sort out their personal lives and get their sh*t together in time for Derby.

We'll probably face an extremely cautious Derby side after their 6-0 thrashing, I wouldn't have thought they'll be very adventurous and they'll put a lot of bodies behind the ball. I'd go with 4-4-2 myself because of this. With Owen back it'll be very interesting to see what Sam picks for this match.

Within 5 posts people are questioning our ability to beat Derby....Unreal. mackems.gif

We should beat them, obviously, but it's idiotic to just assume that it should be an easy three points.

What you reckon the odds will be at the bookies?

As the season develops and we continue to improve people will stop worrying about games like this.

As the season develops and we continue to improve people will stop worrying about games like this.

They'd be foolish to do so.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/eng_prem/3385515.stm :thup: