Away Days - Are you a good omen?

Tsunami

I attended my 1st away game at Roker Park in 1977 & we drew 2-2. I was 12 years old & never thought that I wouldn't see the Toon win away until 1992 some 15 years later when we won 2-1 at the same Roker Park thanks to that O'Brien free kick (sitting in the Clock Stand  ;D). Well worth waiting for.

Now, I didn't go to loads of away games during those 15 years, but I did go to places like Grimsby (drew), Huddersfield (drew) & Cambridge where we lost 1-0 & when Cambridge had set a league record for consecutive home games without a win; until we turned up with a team romping the league.  :rolleyes:

In all I attended between 15 - 20 away games during those 15 years (not many but I started young & then got a bit supersticious).

What was your 1st away day win & how long did it take?

1982, Leicester away (draw). Didn't do aways again until the back end of the 1991/2 season (when i was old enough to take myself).

If i'd waited another month or two in 1992 to start going to aways, i think my first away win would have been against the team i first saw us play away at nearly 10 years earlier. That would have been odd.

Aston Villa (a) lost 0-2 06-07

Blackburn (a) lost 2-5

Charlton (a) lost

Charlton (a) lost 0-2 06-07

Chelsea (a) lost 0-1 06-07

Chelsea (a) lost 0-1 (cup) 06-07

Tottenham (a) won 3-2 06-07

West Ham (a) won 2-0 06-07

Watford (a) drew, won on pens (cup) 06-07

Watford (a) drew 1-1 06-07

Wigan (a) lost 0-1

Wigan (a) lost 0-1 (cup)

Wigan (a) lost 0-1

few more can't remeber right now

that makes P13 W3 D1 L9

not a good record

Tottenham (OT) won 2-0 aet

Sheff Utd (OT) won 1-0

Chelsea (Wembley) lost 2-1

Man Utd (Cardiff) lost 4-1

semi finals P4 W2 D0 L2

I seriously cannot remember my first away game, I think It was when we played Boro in the league cup at the riverside years ago, we lost 3-1. At that time I used to go to 1-2 games a season. Now I go to 9 - 10 games a season, I don't think im lucky or unlucky omen. We lose more games than we win though when im there :p

We won on my second away trip, at Middlesbrough 3-1, when I was 15. My one before that was also at the Boro, a 2-2 draw. Since I started going regularly, not that I do much nowadays, I think I've only seen us win twice - at Fulham 3-2 after being 2-0 down and at Grimsby in the Carling Cup.

Guest 3-1 NYD

Like yourself, against the Mackems but in my case the 2-2 draw in the League Cup in the 79/80 season.

2-0 down but goals from Peter Cartwright & Ian 'Beaver' Davies rescued the day.

Shame about the return @ SJP like.

Not against Charlton, twice I've been there in the last two seasons and 2-0 and 3-1 defeats weren't much fun. Wasn't much better when I saw the same fixture at home. 1-1 draw.

Was there to see our 2-0 win at West Ham last season...my only 'away' win I'm afraid.

To be honest, im not sure.

The game that sticks out in my mind more than any other, is man united away, the year we were relegated. '88 or '89 i think. Iirc it was sometime around the end of april and we were already down. I couldnt see the point of travelling all that way to watch a team that was getting relegated, but my dad was having none of it.  2-0 defeat i think. It was quite a traumatic day.

Guest Kenton Magpie

Saw wins against West Ham, Villa, Blackburn, Bolton and defeats against Bolton, Villa, Man Ushited and OT & Cardiff and i cant remember the rest but we lost the majority of them!

Out of about 25 away games, (I'm down south anyway so it's easier) I've seen us win about 7ish. Best one was the 3-2 against Fulham at loftus road. Used to go to loads but hardly get to any since my Grandad died, noone to go with! :(

The Toon won my first away game at Leicester in 1984 3-2. I was sat in the home fans and despite being encourage to keep quiet when we scored that didn't really work. Saying that, even Leicester fans wouldn't beat up a 6 year old, though they may have taken it out on my dad.

I've always got slated for my away record but given we are usually quite bad away i'm not sure its too different. Having seen probably over 100 games away one of my favourite would be Leeds 4-3, apart from the semi's and all the european games.

Guest mr quimbys beard

First away game was notts forest in the cup years ago, we lost 3-0 i think, the one after we beat blackburn 1-0 in one of the worse gammes i ever saw,micky quinn scoring the winner 2 mins into stoppage time.

Guest Andrew Flintoff

Hmm lets see if I can remember all the aways:

Blackburn (FA Cup, 1999?) Won 2-1 (Shearer 2)

Blackburn, 2003ish, drew 1-1 (Bellamy)

Blackburn (2002ish), drew 2-2 (Shearer 2)

Liverpool (FA Cup, 2004) Lost 2-1 (Robert)

Man Utd (Cardiff, 2004) Lost 4-1 (Shola)

Aston Villa (FA Cup, 2000?) Lost 2-1 (Can't remember!)

Aston Villa (2006) Lost 2-0

Middlesbrough (2002ish) Won 3-1

Middlesbrough (2005) Lost 1-0

Middlesbrough (2007) Drew 2-2

Watford (2007) Drew 1-1

Wigan (2007) Lost 1-0

Mackems (2006) Won 4-1

Hartlepool (2007) Won 3-1

Carlisle (2007) Drew 1-1

I remember these off the top of my head, won my first away game.

I make that a record of 15 aways, 4 wins, 5 draws and 6 defeats (I'm sure there's more but I can't remember them)

I've also seen the Mackems play away once (long story) and they beat Leeds 1-0 at Elland Road.

My one and only rugby away day was Twickenham when the Falcons beat Harlequins 30-27 in 2001.

I was 6 for my first away game, in 1999 i think

Sheff Wed away and we won either 2-0 or 2-1

Been to about 40-50 away games in total probably and have got a pretty bad record from the past 2 seasons under shit like roeder

haha brilliant! i live in london and ive seen 4 games. away to fulham, chelsea, west ham and tottenham. all last season

won 2 lost 2.

spurs: 2-3 martins screamer

west ham: 0-2 martins and duff first goals

fulham: 2-1 we were abysmal

chelsea: 1-0 put up a good performance and lost only to a 80th minute (shite) drogba goal!

i think my mate is the good omen- he came to the spurs and west ham ones and missed the other two! ill invite him more!! 2 wins out of 4 in away games when we finished 13th under roedent is pretty lucky though!