Steven Taylor rejects new contract; Liverpool preparing £5m bid?

magorific
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest jamesmartinsmith

In today's market, £5 million is nothing for a young, talented English player.  We bought Smith for more than that!

Whether he actually is overrated or not is totally irrelevant.  If Liverpool rate him, then they can pay according to his reputation. 

Surely at Liverpool he'd instantly be offered more than £25,000 a week?

In today's market, £5 million is nothing for a young, talented English player.  We bought Smith for more than that!

Whether he actually is overrated or not is totally irrelevant.  If Liverpool rate him, then they can pay according to his reputation. 

as they look after their players, I would say that is correct

Nonsencial if we don't do what we can to keep him. One of our brightest talents and the best centre-back we've brought through the ranks for years

I'm not going to go into the obvious points because that will have been discussed and, well, it's a bit samey to do that.

On a side-note though (dunno if it's already been mentioned)... aye, Rozehnal/Faye/Cacapa/Beye are there to bring immediate improvement to the backline, but they've been brought in to bring Taylor on aswell - i'd bet. So that's around £6m put towards helping Taylor's progression, in one summer, when you look at it.

We should do our utmost to keep him, and i can imagine Allardyce will see that that happens.

Guest jamesmartinsmith

Personally I think Edgar will outshine Taylor in years to come.

What a peculiar comment to make. :lol:

That based on a hunch or something?

What does that mean, "peculiar," Harding?

- Peculiar?

- Peculiar?

From what I've seen of Edgar for the reserves and the first team, he just seems to be more confident and comfortable than Taylor.

Don't UEFA  have rules about how many homegrown players are in a squad for European competitions?

For the Champions League this season, 3 players have to be association trained players and 3 players have to be club trained players who have been registered with their club for 3 years between the ages of 15-21.

Guest bluegeordie

Taylor is on £9,000 a week at the minute. should be on alot more

How does he manage to live on a poxy 9k a week????

My heart bleeds!!!!!!!!  w@nker!

Ignorant post tbh

Ignorant?  how exactly?

I know players earn much much more but nobody on the planet deserves 9k a week for kicking a ball about. People who do important things like heart transplants earn far far less!

I don't think millions of people pay to watch heart transplants.

That's capitalism for you.

Too true - capitalism is about what sells, and not what matters ... although sometimes there's a "happy coincidence" between the two. Exhibit 1, plug-in air fresheners :shifty:; Exhibit Two, Justin Timberlake CDs :cheesy: 

Guest bluegeordie

If a picture speaks a thousand words, then I think that two things are abundantly clear from the image below: 1) that Taylor's dad is committed to NUFC, and therefore is likely to want his son to remain on the books here; and 2) that Taylor's dad is one step removed from being a certified Muppet (which many of us suspected after his initial comments to Anal Oliver):

http://sch.ci.lexington.ma.us/~drolfe/009D2DBB-0119ED2A.0/alf.jpg

On the other hand, there is an image which suggests that Taylor's dad just might be in secret negotiations with Rafa, and indeed that he's conducting those negotiations with a high degree of skill, authority, and assertion:

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/6/62/ALF.jpg

But seriously, given that the transfer window is shut until January, and (more importantly still) that we have Taylor signed until mid-2009, then if Rafa or any other manager has genuinely gone into "red alert" mode over the current hiccup in our negotiations with Alf Taylor, then they may find that they have to switch to "burn out" mode before this matter runs its course. However, and bracketing out the distinct possibility that we're dealing with paper talk only, if Rafa or any other manager has decided to "let slip" an interest in Taylor, then I would imagine that it's nothing more than an attempt to stir the pot at Newcastle, in an effort to determine if the new regime is any better than our recent ones in avoiding self-sabotaging implosions.

No, for my money, so long as Big Sam and Chris Mort are as strategic, professional, and intelligent as they've appeared thus far, then I don't think that we're looking at the closing stages of a short story entitled "Taylor Goes to Anfield", but rather at Chapter 1 in a book entitled "Taylor Eventually Stays at The Toon". As others have pointed out, the latter is hardly a strange and unusual story, and indeed it's what the process of negotiation is all about. Therefore, even if Rafa is in "red alert" mode (which I don't believe for a second), I don't think that there's a sound reason for anyone at NUFC to follow suit, and to do so would simply play into the hands of our rivals. If we play our cards right, then Taylor will be a Newcastle player for a long time to come, without the club having been held to ransom in order to secure his services.           

A once-overhypped local prospect who emerged from an academy which has really produced sweet bugger all over the last few years. Appearing to be the only shining light when placed along the recent substandard product produced by the academy - ie. Ameobi and Ramage notably.... a standard not benefitting of a club which should be challenging the top 4 - it's understandable that the local support held him aloft on a pedestal too early. Taylor's advisors are probably preying on this ie. he's irreplacable and deserving of a big contract.

However he is far from the finished product and he's still making simple mistakes. Granted he missed a season thanks to Clueless' mismanagment and his progression was ultimately interrupted, but Taylor has had a full season under his belt now in his preferred position. That year of 'missed progression' is no longer a viable excuse this time round, or this year.

At the moment Taylor is being outshone by the new arrivals - ie. Rosenhal & Cacapa - and he faces strong competition  from a natural fullback - ie. Beye - on the right hand side of the defense. At the moment he is a 'squad player' and he is deserving of contract offer which matches that role.

Granted he'd worth more than 25k a week, however if his advisers are demanding a package deal which would normally go to blue-chipper, a package which is at odds with Allardyce's valuation of him within the squad dynamic, then Taylor can bugger off..................... for 5m in January we should snap their/Liverpool's hands off imo.

as they look after their players, I would say that is correct

For a local product, who granted wants to play for the club he supports, living on reputation alone - ie. previous hype - at the moment what sort of contract offer/wage package should suffice?

He's worth more than 25k a week, but no way should we give him anything close to a 50k package. Taylor's advisers have looked at the respective departures of Dyer and Parker and have thought about it simplistically, and imo have arrived at the conclusion that there's some serious money to be had.

Guest bluegeordie

wtf is all the fuss about, we offer contract, taylor rejects, we offer improved contract, taylor signs

Basically, that's what I was trying to say, only you've managed it with a zillion less syllables :blush:

Guest ExiledGeordie

Taylor's Dad has gone about this totally the wrong fashion. Clearly designed to stir up interest in an attempt to pressurise Newcastle into a higher offer. I'm sure we will offer a higher contract but appropriate meetings with Allardyce/Chairman rather than coming out publically with arguments like "I hope Newcastle arent trying to force him out"which are a fucking disgrace.

He's young he's learning his trade and he's playing for the club he loves but he's not Franco Beresi ffs. Can't stand all this player power these days.

Taylor is great at show-boating and playing up to the cameras. He really does need to concentrate on polishing his actual defending though rather than handling the ball on the line then pretending he's been shot in the gut.

If I have to read one more time, Alan Oliver trumpeting " Indeed when Steve Taylor rung me in the early hours of this morning..." I'll start a wage recommendation campaign called "Ten Grand for Taylor" to force the bugger out.

He's the next John Terry. He's already a very good defender and will surely get better with time/experience/age. He's hugely rated and not without very good reason, on the verge of the England squad and will undoubtably become a regular. Great attitude on the pitch and geniunely loves the Toon!

Average?? ..... :lol:   :lol:   :lol:   :lol:  Yeah right!

Pay the lad what he's worth!!  As has been said he's turned down the first offer which is fair enough (no need to crucify him  :-X), he should be on the same as Milner and Zoggy and if Faye is on 30k then Taylor certainly deserves to be. We need our heads seeing to if we can't keep hold of him, i am confident that Sam rates him and will do everything to keep him.

There will be those who get all stupid about the story, same as the Given one, and take it literally, getting themselves all steamed up. But they are cretins.

Once they start doing that, they'll start disparaging him as a player, until he's as bad as Bramble.

I hope he stays, i think he is already a good defender, and could well become a very good one.