Steven Taylor rejects new contract; Liverpool preparing £5m bid?

magorific
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

How much would people be willing to pay a player of Upson's quality a week in wages?

Scratch what i said earlier. It's a shite comparison altogether tbh. Upson's years older than Taylor, plays for a different club, has already featured in the England set-up, and is an absolute crock.

How much would people be willing to pay a player of Upson's quality a week in wages?

Scratch what i said earlier. It's a shite comparison altogether tbh. Upson's years older than Taylor, plays for a different club, has already featured in the England set-up, and is an absolute crock.

That's not the comparison, the comparison is how good they see Taylor becoming and I see Upson ability as the level I think he'll reach.

Do people actually rate Upson? Take away the injuries, do people think he's a good, solid defender?

He a decent standard Premiership defender, he's nothing special though.

About my opinion of him as well.

Is this as far as people think Taylor will go?

I've got a lot more hope than that for him, i'd be saddened to think thats the limit of his ability.

Do people actually rate Upson? Take away the injuries, do people think he's a good, solid defender?

I've got a lot more hope than that for him, i'd be saddened to think thats the limit of his ability.

I don't see any outstanding attributes in his game to make me think different at the moment.

People on here can try and re write history and make out the likes of Woodgate, Ferdinand and Terry were nothing special at 21 but all of them were far better than Taylor is now, I'd compare those three at 21 to the ability shown by Micah Richards, you just knew they would all go on to be excellent players.

Carragher's a strange one, he was rather average for years but suddenly turned into a top defender which gives me hope Taylor might turn out the same, players don't do that very often though.

I don't see any outstanding attributes in his game to make me think different at the moment.

People on here can try and re write history and make out the likes of Woodgate, Ferdinand and Terry were nothing special at 21 but all of them were far better than Taylor is now, I'd compare those three at 21 to the ability shown by Micah Richards, you just knew they would all go on to be excellent players.

Carragher's a strange one, he was rather average for years but suddenly turned into a top defender which gives me hope Taylor might turn out the same, players don't do that very often though.

Carragher's ability was some what held back due to him playing RB until about 24, he flourished in his natural position of CB when played there. He really was an average player for years at RB.

Taylor hindrance is simply the lack of quality in coaches and players to learn from. Richards is a cut above, but mainly due to his burst of pace being able to rescue him from sticky situations, take that away and for me he's about the same level as Taylor. But Richards is about the only English defender in that age bracket i'd happily swap Taylor for.

But you are right about Terry, Rio & Woody, they were much better than Taylor at this age, but none of them were flawless, in fact Rio has been the same player for about the last 7 seasons and still makes the same mistakes as he was doing back then. Terry is immense, Woodys just crocked and could of been as big as them two easily if it wasn't for injuries. Taylor won't reach that level, but i see him somewhere not far off, Carragher would be a good example of where he could go in his career, there's nothing to suggest why he couldn't be as good as him, and if he were to reach that level, i'd be very happy for him.

Rio, Woodgate and Terry are pretty much the best centre backs in the league so it won't send me over the edge if Taylor never makes it to their level.

I am confident he will go on to be a good standard premiership defender and that will do me, anything else is obviously a bonus.

Carragher's ability was some what held back due to him playing RB until about 24, he flourished in his natural position of CB when played there. He really was an average player for years at RB.

Taylor hindrance is simply the lack of quality in coaches and players to learn from. Richards is a cut above, but mainly due to his burst of pace being able to rescue him from sticky situations, take that away and for me he's about the same level as Taylor. But Richards is about the only English defender in that age bracket i'd happily swap Taylor for.

But you are right about Terry, Rio & Woody, they were much better than Taylor at this age, but none of them were flawless, in fact Rio has been the same player for about the last 7 seasons and still makes the same mistakes as he was doing back then. Terry is immense, Woodys just crocked and could of been as big as them two easily if it wasn't for injuries. Taylor won't reach that level, but i see him somewhere not far off, Carragher would be a good example of where he could go in his career, there's nothing to suggest why he couldn't be as good as him, and if he were to reach that level, i'd be very happy for him.

But Richards does have that pace, it may seem unfair that two players can be so far apart in terms of ability because one can run fast but it really is an important part of modern day football, I can see Richards going on to be a Gallas type defender.

Back to Taylor, we'd be stupid to get rid of him but at the same time he isn't worth £30k pw at the moment, the problem the club will have if they buckle to his wage demands this time is that everyone will try and do the same, the club are in a tricky position because of the over inflated wages they've paid in the past and if they want to have any chance of bringing in a sensible wage structure then they can't be seen to be paying huge sums to squad players in future.

But Richards does have that pace, it may seem unfair that two players can be so far apart in terms of ability because one can run fast but it really is an important part of modern day football, I can see Richards going on to be a Gallas type defender.

Back to Taylor, we'd be stupid to get rid of him but at the same time he isn't worth £30k pw at the moment, the problem the club will have if they buckle to his wage demands this time is that everyone will try and do the same, the club are in a tricky position because of the over inflated wages they've paid in the past and if they want to have any chance of bringing in a sensible wage structure then they can't be seen to be paying huge sums to squad players in future.

In total agreement. The club need to put the past financial mistakes behind them, and leaving them in the past where they belong, i'd even go so far as to sacrificing Taylor or any player we have to uphold the new wage structure, if thats what we are actually doing. But when Babayaro is on over 3 times as much money as you, its a hard fuking pill to swallow, i'm pissed off for the lad nevermind Taylor himself. If players like Babayaro, carr and even Butt were not on the books bringing in huge amounts of cash then Taylor would just have to lump it, fact is, they are, and Taylor knows he's more valuable to the club, and to other clubs than any of those players and wants the money to show it.

I still think it will all settle down, Given's had bigger kick offs than this when it comes to contract negotiating time. From threatening to leave if signings weren't made or handing in his transfer request as Harpers had 5-6 games in a row, but no one really got on his back and it always sorted itself out.

hes our steven taylor! he is a geordie and am proud of him and would be absolutely gutted if he left.  Its nice to have a big geordie centre back at the back and hes so yyoung.  they should be bending over backwards to keep him

hes our steven taylor! he is a geordie and am proud of him and would be absolutely gutted if he left.  Its nice to have a big geordie centre back at the back and hes so yyoung.  they should be bending over backwards to keep him

I hope that's sarcasm  :undecided:

Guest Knightrider

People picking faults in Taylor's game and talking about weaknesses need to remind themselves that he is only 21, all players at that age have faults and weaknesses.

And on that score, he actually doesn't have many footballing weaknesses or faults in fact, most of his problems are down to inexperience, lack of quality coaching, and no real mentor to guide him and all these things can and will come, in time. If not here at Newcastle, then somewhere else. Then it will solely be down to his attitude, fitness levels and hard work as to whether he can marry all this to high level performances week in week out.

Btw don't hang him based on a few stories from the press who have no quotes to go off, or his numpty father. I'm confident he'll sign a new deal and will be here a long time. I'm also confident if everyone lets him grow into some kind of player, he'll become a very good player for us and maybe England, who knows, he certainly has the potential.

It's funny how people think him being a Geordie shouldn't matter and yet to many it clearly does.

Why shouldn't it matter? It is Newcastle United. To many, Newcastle United is just a football club they pick to support for no reason. To many others however, Newcastle United are supported due to the connection they have with Newcastle upon Tyne. It would be nice and to see local lads coming through the youth rank and flourish in the first team.

Romantic reasons aside, there are many practical reasons why locality matter. The profile of the club, both first team and academy, could be raised, a lot of transfer and wage money could be saved.

It is unfortunate that Peter Ramage and Paul Huntington couldn't make the grade. But with Steven Taylor far from being the finished book, there are still a lot of hopes.

Guest Knightrider

It's funny how people think him being a Geordie shouldn't matter and yet to many it clearly does.

It's now used against him more than it's seen in his favour. People need to look at these things objectionably though. No point defending a player if he's being a twat, regardless of whether he's a Geordie or not, likewise there us no point saying he should play for nowt just because he's a Geordie. There is a middle ground.

It's now used against him more than it's seen in his favour. People need to look at these things objectionably though. No point defending a player if he's being a twat, regardless of whether he's a Geordie or not, likewise there us no point saying he should play for nowt just because he's a Geordie. There is a middle ground.

Spot on.  Fact is he know's what he wants and he'll get it whether its here or somewhere else.  Still think he'll sign a new contract here though.

If he is such an average defender that is always likely to be error-prone as many on here suggest, then why do Liverpool and Chelsea want him?

Do they?

I seem to remember reading that Man Utd and Arsenal wanted Reo Coker, yet when push came to shove the only club to come in for him were Villa.

If he is such an average defender that is always likely to be error-prone as many on here suggest, then why do Liverpool and Chelsea want him?

Do they?

I seem to remember reading that Man Utd and Arsenal wanted Reo Coker, yet when push came to shove the only club to come in for him were Villa.

Oh well if Reo Coker went to Villa, Taylor mustn't be wanted by Liverpool and Chelsea  :idiot2: O0

Do they?

Oh well if Reo Coker went to Villa, Taylor mustn't be wanted by Liverpool and Chelsea  :idiot2: O0

The point I was making was that just because the papers say it doesn't necessarily mean it's true, obviously I'll need to break it down for you in future. O0

Do they?

The point I was making was that just because the papers say it doesn't necessarily mean it's true, obviously I'll need to break it down for you in future. O0

I know what you meant but Taylor would have more takers than Reo Coker.  The papers make up almost everything, often driven by stories from agents.

I would say Taylor could get a better club than us (where we are now and have been for a few years) if he chose to leave, whereas Reo Coker was never going to get a move to one of the top 6 or 7 clubs in England

Do they?

I know what you meant but Taylor would have more takers than Reo Coker.  The papers make up almost everything, often driven by stories from agents.

I would say Taylor could get a better club than us (where we are now and have been for a few years) if he chose to leave, whereas Reo Coker was never going to get a move to one of the top 6 or 7 clubs in England

If you knew what I meant then why try and make out I meant something different? :rolleyes:

As for Taylor, I can see maybe Liverpool and Spurs coming in for him, then again I thought Arsenal and Spurs may have been interested in Reo Coker so you never know, alot will depend on what the club values him at.