Given is "best in the world"

Nobby

I keep on hearing players and managers saying Cech is the best around but imo he makes a lot of errors and concedes sloppy goals.

The likes of Buffon and Casillas are better imo

If you're looking for the best example of "over-rated", it's right there.

:idiot2:

Good argument, you've got me.

Buffon's vastly over-rated tbh. I would imagine that most people who claim he's the best in the world have seen him play all of twice. How often have you watched him out of interest?

One of those was probably when he made a huge rick. :D

I keep on hearing players and managers saying Cech is the best around but imo he makes a lot of errors and concedes sloppy goals.

Buffon's vastly over-rated tbh. I would imagine that most people who claim he's the best in the world have seen him play all of twice. How often have you watched him out of interest?

It wasn't an argument. Buffon has been around for donkeys years so naturally i have seen him many a time. He's commanding, has great reflexes, he's great on crosses, never seems to make a blunder... and basically has no apparent weakness. I'd like to hear which part of his game you think is overrated tbh because your opinion stumps me. The best goalkeeper i've ever seen without a doubt.

It wasn't an argument. Buffon has been around for donkeys years so naturally i have seen him many a time. He's commanding, has great reflexes, he's great on crosses, never seems to make a blunder... and basically has no apparent weakness. I'd like to hear which part of his game you think is overrated tbh because your opinion stumps me. The best goalkeeper i've ever seen without a doubt.

Never seen him make a blunder? Hmmmmmm :lol:

The "TV saves" fool a lot of people to be honest. In my opinion he punches and parries far far too often, where a simple catch (although not looking as good) would make more sense. Don't get me wrong, I do think he's a class keeper, but I've spoken to numerous people who claim he's the best in the world, and then admit that they've hardly seen him. I think he was actually a better keeper at Parma. He is better than Given though, as he commands his box much better. I think both Cech and Reina are better keepers though. People argue that you can't say Cech is the best, because of the defence which plays in front of him. Can the same not be said about a £34m keeper in a Juve/Italy team?

Best keeper I've ever seen is Schmeichel. Nobody else comes close.

The "TV saves" fool a lot of people to be honest. In my opinion he punches and parries far far too often, where a simple catch (although not looking as good) would make more sense. Don't get me wrong, I do think he's a class keeper, but I've spoken to numerous people who claim he's the best in the world, and then admit that they've hardly seen him. I think he was actually a better keeper at Parma. He is better than Given though, as he commands his box much better. I think both Cech and Reina are better keepers though. People argue that you can't say Cech is the best, because of the defence which plays in front of him. Can the same not be said about a £34m keeper in a Juve/Italy team?

what does "commands his box "actually mean ?

Basically organising the defence, and knowing when to come for crosses and when to stay on his line.

Missed the fact that Cech's distribution is better too ;)

Basically organising the defence, and knowing when to come for crosses and when to stay on his line.

again that could go down to what given has had to work with.

Perhaps so, but you can only judge what you can see, surely? Do you think Given's decision making and distribution is better than Cech/Buffon/Reina?

All keepers make mistakes. Cech has made some pretty high-profile mistakes.

All I'd say is that Shay has earnt us plenty of points over the years, and if he had a decent defence in front of him for just half of those years, he'd probably be rated higher by persons other than NUFC fans. Rated higher for doing less, ironic isn't it.

Perhaps so, but you can only judge what you can see, surely? Do you think Given's decision making and distribution is better than Cech/Buffon/Reina?

no but i'd say he's a better shot stopper and better off his line as a sweeper than cech or reina.

haven't seen enough of buffon (i'll not even use the regular wearing of a pink top to count against him)

I don't rate Reina at all.

Why??

When he is good he is very good but he does make some horrible mistakes.

Would rather have Reina in goal than Shay in a penalty shootout though :D

rather tanni gray thompson than given in a penalty shoot out

Schmeichel is the best in recent years - Banks was the best I've ever seen, and tons better than Given or any

other modern keeper ; keepers got less protection in Banks' day, and you had to be tough to command the box.

As for reflexes, well, you've all presumably seen the save from Pele in the Mexico WC, and I've seen him do that at SJP for Stoke in league matches - the all-time British great in my opinion, but there were other good ones like Shilton etc.

There isn't a really outstanding goalkeeper in any International side right now.

The 'best keeper in the world' accolade has to go somebody who:

1. Obviously has the shot blocking skills, and the reflexes to go with it, in the locker.

2. The ability to command his defensive line/to provide an authoritive presence in the backline. Whether that postionally directing his line as a leader, or taking crosses.

3. Has the technique on the ball, normally befitting of an outfielder who is strong in this area, which makes him an important distribution outlet when his outlying defenders are being pressed heavily by an aggressively defending attacking midfield.

Given falls short when it comes to points 2 & 3.

IMO Keane's understandable position of patriotism is coming to the foreground on this one.

In recent years - ie. post-Schmeical - Buffon, and now Cech, have been the most 'balanced keepers' when it comes to excelling in these three areas.

Schmeichel is the best in recent years - Banks was the best I've ever seen, and tons better than Given or any

other modern keeper ; keepers got less protection in Banks' day, and you had to be tough to command the box.

As for reflexes, well, you've all presumably seen the save from Pele in the Mexico WC, and I've seen him do that at SJP for Stoke in league matches - the all-time British great in my opinion, but there were other good ones like Shilton etc.

There isn't a really outstanding goalkeeper in any International side right now.

i've seen better at st james'.........pav V liverpool, going one way,late deflection and reached it in the top corner and shaka similar V everton.

taking nowt away from banks,(he was the best) but that save wasn't as special as made out.

Given is undoubtedly one of the top keepers around, particularly in terms of shot stopping and his lack of really bad errors which seems to be due to some good preparation and concentration ability. One key aspect of a keeper which people can sometimes overlook is distribution, which Given is poor at. I love to see a goalkeeper come to claim a cross then instantly throw it out a long way to a winger to break away. Schmeichel's long throws to the half way line or whatever were awesome.

no but i'd say he's a better shot stopper and better off his line as a sweeper than cech or reina.

haven't seen enough of buffon (i'll not even use the regular wearing of a pink top to count against him)

Given better off the line than Reina? Reina is the, by far, best "sweeper-keeper" in the Premier League imo.. Given is a better shot-stopper, but I've never seen Given run off his line and collect through-passes the way Reina does.