Derby VS Newcastle

Decky

When did any Premiership games become "easy", by the way?

Especially ones away from home to a wounded/newly-promoted side with some new signings potentially making debuts?

I know Derby have made the worst start in the league, but people need to keep their feet on the ground because these were exactly the sort of games that we'd get turned-over in when Roeder, Souness and even Robson were all here. How many of Derby's squad have been jetsetting around the world/playing two internationals in 4 days, an' all? Not as many as ours, I'd bet.

A draw wouldn't be a particularly bad result, but of course we should go for the win. Remaining unbeaten is as important as anything, if you ask me. 4 points from our next two games and I'll be well chuffed, and I'd prefer to draw at Derby and spank West Ham personally.

If we draw with Derby, it'll be like the End of Days on here.

I fully understand/expect that. People are spoiled rotten.

I do think we'll win, mind, so hopefully we won't have to witness it.

I'd play:

Given

Taylor    Rozehnal    Caçapa    Enrique

Milner    Geremi    Emre    N'Zogbia

Owen    Martins

Bench: Harper, Faye, Butt, Smith, Viduka.

I think Sam'll play:

Harper

Taylor    Rozehnal    Caçapa    N'Zogbia

Smith    Geremi    Butt    Milner

Owen    Viduka

Bench: Given, Faye, Enrique, Emre, Martins.

Both of which look very strong and should be good enough to see us win.

It's games like this that we should really be looking to pick up maximum points if we're to challenge for Europe this season, I think the way the team is set up we're better playing in an open away game rather than a tight home one, if Derby sit back and get everyone behind the ball then we might have trouble breaking them down.

Long balls won't be much good against this lot but if we keep it on the ground we could play them off the park.

0-2

It's games like this that we should really be looking to pick up maximum points if we're to challenge for Europe this season, I think the way the team is set up we're better playing in an open away game rather than a tight home one, if Derby sit back and get everyone behind the ball then we might have trouble breaking them down.

Long balls won't be much good against this lot but if we keep it on the ground we could play them off the park.

0-2

Yup, key point - have been thinking the exact same thing. S'why i reckon Martins and Owen is worth a go. If we see Viduka start, we might see a long-ball method enforced. However, if we were absolutely 100% gonna see us play the ball on the floor, i'd start Viduka, because he's so exceptional with the ball there. I just think Sam's got too much of a tendancy/urge that he'll go long-ball if he plays him... if you see what i mean. Long-winded explanation.  :blush:

Have we played anything but 4-3-3 this season?

I think that Allardyce may start some unexpected players in this game.

------------------Given-------------------

Taylor--Cacapa--Rozehnal--Enrique

-----Milner-------Faye----N'Zogbia----

-------------------Smith-----------------

-----------Owen---------Martins---------

Bench: Harper, Geremi, Butt, Ameobi, Beye.

Edit: had Ameobi starting. But he won't do that. Probably switch to 442 at some point and move him up top with Owen.

I've seen Enrique play in the flesh. :coolsmiley:

:) how was he? didn't catch the barnsely match myself and i'm growing rather impatient..

He had a quiet game and was quite obviously nervous at the beginning. But i was definitely encouraged by what i saw; he definitely seems to have quality. There wasn't an awful lot to do in the way of defensive work, and Caçapa ruled the show when there was, but in the second half going forward he linked well with N'Zogbia - and i remember in-particular this superb little through ball over the defense. Looking forward to seeing more of him.

I've seen Enrique play in the flesh. :coolsmiley:

:) how was he? didn't catch the barnsely match myself and i'm growing rather impatient..

He had a quiet game and was quite obviously nervous at the beginning. But i was definitely encouraged by what i saw; he definitely seems to have quality. There wasn't an awful lot to do in the way of defensive work, and Caçapa ruled the show when there was, but in the second half going forward he linked well with N'Zogbia - and i remember in-particular this superb little through ball over the defense. Looking forward to seeing more of him.

hmm.. thanks.. hope the lad fills in at left-back against derby; i can see zoggy ripping them apart if he was in midfield.

I'm not sure we'll see a radical change in personnel. Sam will probably want to keep some consistency. Not sure if we'll see Enrique and Beye, maybe one of but not both imo. Don't know if Sam will want Owen to play his 3rd full game in a week either.

Guest TampaToon

Don't know if Sam will want Owen to play his 3rd full game in a week either.

with 2 more difficult games within 6 days' time, i would think he starts on the bench at best - another 60 or 90 minutes is asking for trouble at this point, IMO

with 2 more difficult games within 6 days' time, i would think he starts on the bench at best - another 60 or 90 minutes is asking for trouble at this point, IMO

easier to sit out arsenal

easier to sit out arsenal

Basically, yeah - but i even think he'll start against Arsenal; we can win that game with our best players. Will be utterly gobsmacked if he doesn't start against Derby. That'd be insane, tbh.

Guest Guinness

Looking forward to going to this one.

I'd play:

........................................Given

Beye.................Rozehnal..........Cacapa...............Enrique

Milner.................Geremi.............Smith................N'Zogbia

..........................Viduka..............Owen

I think Sam will play:

.......................................Harper

Taylor..............Rozehnal............Cacapa.............N'Zogbia

Smith................Geremi................Butt....................Milner

.........................Viduka...............Owen

Guest jamesmartinsmith

Big Sam will probably stick with the 4-3-3 for now with Beye coming in, I think Taylor will still start like.

See you all down there.

Howay the lads.