Benny Benitez: Parky 6 Benny 2 (Benitez watch.). Inter sack the waiter.

Parky

The Inter job is a bit of a poisoned sweet right now. The squad just comes off winning everything and reigning over the Serie A for years, he'll have a hard job to motivate them to keep them hungry, particularly compared to Mou's motivational skills.

There are a shitload sides that play with two DMs. Heck, Real Madrid has done it often this season and they're hardly the shining beacon of defensive football.

He most certainly will though, you sick little narcissist. :lol:

:laugh:

He's no Mourinho.

He certainly got the better of Mourinho enough. Seriously though, there's no way Rafa will fail to win them a trophy.

He most certainly will though, you sick little narcissist. :lol:

:laugh:

He's no Mourinho.

He certainly got the better of Mourinho enough. Seriously though, there's no way Rafa will fail to win them a trophy.

Perhaps one then.

Truth be said, Torres was out for the season after this game which probably vindicates Benítez on making the sub.

Nope, played against Benfica a few days later.

Truth be said, Torres was out for the season after this game which probably vindicates Benítez on making the sub.

Nope, played against Benfica a few days later.

Ah true. Still, Torres fitness was very shaky so it wasn't that crazy of a sub.

Guest firetotheworks

In the context of that match it was absolutely baffling though, Liverpool had just drew level, and all they had left to play for in the league was getting into the CL. The fact that he wasn't injured, and then played the next game just shows how baffling it was.

The whole Aqualani thing too. Not that he signed him, more that he signed him and then persisted with Lucas.

The biggest thing for me though, where I was first baffled, and started thinking he's a bit mental was when he planned to replace Alonso with Gareth Barry. Absolutely startling.

Strikes me he never really utilised the talent he had that could win games... both Benayoun and Aquilani should have been guaranteed starters when fit IMO.

Benayoun would make a good signing for Chelsea BTW, not flashy but has really got to grips with the Premiership and is a proper game-changer.

The biggest thing for me though, where I was first baffled, and started thinking he's a bit mental was when he planned to replace Alonso with Gareth Barry. Absolutely startling.

That was in anticipation of UEFA's new rules on homegrown players. Still mental.

Guest Stephen927

Liverpool looked good when they set out to attack teams, but those games were few and far between. Don't know why he kept persisting with a system that just wasn't working.

Benayoun would make a good signing for Chelsea BTW, not flashy but has really got to grips with the Premiership and is a proper game-changer.

Been linked with Chelsea to replace Joe Cole. Might raise a few eyebrows but they're pretty similar.

What's even worse though, is that he ended up actually replacing Alonso with Lucas.

Liverpool looked good when they set out to attack teams, but those games were few and far between. Don't know why he kept persisting with a system that just wasn't working.

Like I say, control freak. Stay solid, keep your shape, take no unnecessary risks. The side only played good football when they were allowed to cut loose, which was only when we were already up shit creek.

this now a post-mortem of Benitez at Liverpool?

exhibit A then is surely Robbie Keane...maybe the resident scousers have some ITK inside track knowledge of that but ostensibly it looked like one of the most stupid and pointless transfer deals in history and Benitez should probably have been laughed out of the club for it

crouch was another actually imo

Like I say, control freak. Stay solid, keep your shape, take no unnecessary risks. The side only played good football when they were allowed to cut loose, which was only when we were already up shit creek.

This has always been what annoys me about him.

If we signed Aqualooni for £5m i'd be gutted.

Those words are really going to bite you in the arse, TT.

I know you are speaking from a vast amount of experience there but at 26 and with the only man who had faith in him gone, his chance in English football is going to be limited especially with his injury record. He's not a bad footballer, just someone you wouldn't pay serious amounts of money for as he's likely to miss 70% of the season through injury.

Typical Newcastle player of old in that respects.

Except very good.

It's not really his quality that's the problem though. He's probably worth the money fit and healthy playing 70% of his games, thing is he's not and hasn't been for the last 2-3 years apparently.

Same could have been said of someone like Matt Upson (who is shit btw) a few years back, sometimes tendons, ligaments and muscles just need to catch up with the rest of the body. Aquiliani could easily be the next Dyer or he could turn the corner and utilise that fantastic talent.

And as it happens, when he did return from injury around the turn of the year, he stayed injury free, Rafa just wasn't picking him (in part probably because of his penchant for 2 DMs).

Is he worth the risk though? Certainly not at £18m, even at £10m for a club like Liverpool and its financial state its a risk. What kind of price is he starting to be worth the risk?

exhibit A then is surely Robbie Keane...maybe the resident scousers have some ITK inside track knowledge of that but ostensibly it looked like one of the most stupid and pointless transfer deals in history and Benitez should probably have been laughed out of the club for it

Basically, Keane was supposed to be an accessory to Barry. When the Barry transfer fell through, Keane was surplus to requirements.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Rafa walking into a new job less than a week after taking a £6m pay off from Liverpool. Hicks and Co are stupid.

Basically, Keane was supposed to be an accessory to Barry. When the Barry transfer fell through, Keane was surplus to requirements.

Possible to expand on that? Just makes little sense to an outsider - i.e. why would signing Barry make any difference to the £20m Keane signing? Not only was the fee vastly inflated, but Keane was always unlikely to fit into the system Rafa prefers (Barry or no Barry). If the plan was to switch to 4-4-2 and have Keane as a partner to Torres, how did Rafa hope to achieve this by adding Barry to the central midfield squad whilst at the same time lacking good quality wingers (and Gerrard having proved to be ineffective in central midfield compared to playing in front of two central midfielders)?

To make matters worse, he was signed iirc a short while after you got rid of Bellamy, who is pretty similar to Keane (in terms of the type of forward that he is) but twice as good and far more versatile. If Bellamy struggled in a Rafa system, what made Rafa think that spending £20m on an inferior version of Bellamy would work?