Reports: Mourinho Leaves Chelsea

PM

The plot thickens even further:

That summer, Chelsea poached Tottenham Hotspur's sporting director Frank Arnesen at a cost of £5m. Ostensibly recruited to revolutionise the club's sub-standard youth ranks, the Dane was actually brought in on the recommendation of Piet de Visser, a well-known Dutch talent scout who had advised Abramovich on football matters from his first months as Chelsea owner.

Arnesen and De Visser, friends and allies from their time together at Dutch club PSV Eindhoven, steadily worked to influence Abramovich's thinking on the first team, and, most importantly, player recruitment. Along with the agents Soren Lerby, Vlado Lemeic and Pini Zahavi they sought to steer Abramovich towards the purchase of certain footballers. Their objective, according to one source, was 'to get to Abramovich's money. To do that they needed power at the club, needed a manager who would do what they wanted. Mourinho was not that manager.'

Thus emerged a power struggle in which Arnesen and others seemed to undermine Mourinho by questioning him at every opportunity. When Mourinho went to war with Uefa over the actions of referees they told Abramovich his coach was embarrassing the club. When Mourinho's team dourly won key matches by a goal to nil, they told the owner a better coach would win by more goals and bring him far more flamboyant football. When a Mourinho signing failed to perform on the pitch, they told Abramovich that better players could be found elsewhere.

Within a year, and despite Mourinho's success in claiming a second successive Premiership, the manager had lost control of transfers. In the 2006 summer window, Mourinho asked the board to buy Samuel Eto'o; they spent a UK record £30m on Shevchenko. Chelsea sold William Gallas to Arsenal against Mourinho's wishes, and forced the £7m Khalid Boulahrouz upon him, while Arnesen compounded the error of allowing Chelsea's most effective defender to leave the club by pulling the plug on the £5m purchase of Micah Richards. Inside a season Richards was a full England international, while Boulahrouz was stinking out the reserves until Chelsea paid Sevilla to take him off their hands.

Out with the old, in with the new. Furious at Mourinho's dismissal, senior players describe Grant's appointment as 'a disgrace'. Some at Cobham call him 'an idiot' and describe his coaching techniques as '25 years behind the times'. Abramovich pushes the Israeli around 'without a hint of respect'.

Former academy coach Brendan Rogers has been drafted in to help out with the first team, a promotion that may not be unconnected to the one-on-one training sessions he gave Abramovich's son. Only in Steve Clarke is there the level of football knowledge to deal with a squad full of international superstars. As the sole survivor of Mourinho's cadre of four assistant managers, the Scotsman has an unenviable task.

But then neither he nor Grant will be picking the team. As Michael Essien discovered on Tuesday night, the new manager of Chelsea is also the owner.

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,,2175177,00.html

Great stuff.

The more Bruce Buck, the chairman, sought to justify the choice of Avram Grant, the less convincing he sounded. He started brightly enough. “If the thrust of your question is that ‘was Avram appointed because he is a friend of Roman Abramovich’, the answer is no,” Buck said. “Roman does not take important appointments on a whim or because someone is a friend. He is a very successful businessman and, in consultation with the board, this was a thoughtful decision that was made on the basis of merit.” Reminded that the merit involved no worthwhile European experience and no management pedigree behind a league of minor importance, Buck began to blather. “Merit is evaluating a person’s inner strength, it is evaluating a person’s people-dealing qualities, evaluating a person’s football knowledge and track record is certainly one of the things you have to consider,” he floundered. When a man who announces his position as a corporate lawyer starts using clumsy phrases such as “people-dealing qualities”, he is not usually on the surest ground.

At least Buck fared better than Kenyon. Having appointed José Mourinho with a brief to identify the best manager in Europe, to then be sitting beside a man whose CV stretches to two good spells with Maccabi Haifa and another with Maccabi Tel Aviv must have represented one of the most uncomfortable turns of his professional life. Full of bravado when he walked in, by the time he left the room he was protesting that there was nothing to be embarrassed about in the events of the past week, and taking a ten-minute walk in the fresh air to gather his thoughts. His awkwardness was palpable. “The club has changed,” he protested, when asked why the criteria for Grant’s appointment differed so greatly from that of Mourinho.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/chelsea/article2508193.ece

John Terry sounds like a proper c***, he seems to be getting to big for his boots needs to be brought down to earth.

agree, i fucking hate the arsehole

he thinks he can do and say anything he wants and nothing gets done about it

Chelsea face possible Euro ban..

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml;jsessionid=IRC4MIR5IL5NHQFIQMFSFFOAVCBQ0IV0?xml=/sport/2007/09/23/sfnfro123.xml

Avram Grant's appointment as Chelsea manager in succession to Jose Mourinho was in doubt last night as the Premier League and UEFA warned that the club could face unprecedented repercussions domestically and in Europe because of the Israeli's lack of qualifications.

Later in the article quote from Mourinho:

"It has to be a big club, with responsibility, with targets, with pressure," he said. "It has to be serious, with a big European club. They don't have to be champions, but one that wants to go to the Champions League for the first time; or which wants to win a title it hasn't won for a long time; or which wants to rise to another level, or which wants to remain at the top.

:razz:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml;jsessionid=IRC4MIR5IL5NHQFIQMFSFFOAVCBQ0IV0?xml=/sport/2007/09/23/sfnfro123.xml

Avram Grant's appointment as Chelsea manager in succession to Jose Mourinho was in doubt last night as the Premier League and UEFA warned that the club could face unprecedented repercussions domestically and in Europe because of the Israeli's lack of qualifications.

Also hints they'll just give the Manager title to Clark short-term as a work around. Grant will then be given study leave and come back fully qualified to be Roman's Chief Puppet from next season onwards.

Ironic, considering that they may not make it to the CL next year under the new regime.

"It has to be a big club, with responsibility, with targets, with pressure," he said. "It has to be serious, with a big European club. They don't have to be champions, but one that wants to go to the Champions League for the first time; or which wants to win a title it hasn't won for a long time; or which wants to rise to another level, or which wants to remain at the top.

Tottenham it is then.

It's a laugh that Real Madrid are now making noises about buying Drogba and Ballack, and maybe hiring Mourinho, while Abramovich is adopting Real's old "galacticos" policy and chasing after Ronaldinho and Kaka.

Really? If so, that would have to be the most insane thing I've heard for a while - I thought Ballack & Mourinho don't see eye to eye...wasn't that what this was partly about in the first place?

It's a laugh that Real Madrid are now making noises about buying Drogba and Ballack, and maybe hiring Mourinho, while Abramovich is adopting Real's old "galacticos" policy and chasing after Ronaldinho and Kaka.

Really? If so, that would have to be the most insane thing I've heard for a while - I thought Ballack & Mourinho don't see eye to eye...wasn't that what this was partly about in the first place?

They've been chasing Ballack for ages.

Aye, it's just kinda funny that Mourinho and Ballack could both end up at the same club that gets me.

Aye, it's just kinda funny that Mourinho and Ballack could both end up at the same club that gets me.

Robben also. ;D

Also hints they'll just give the Manager title to Clark short-term as a work around. Grant will then be given study leave and come back fully qualified to be Roman's Chief Puppet from next season onwards.

Ironic, considering that they may not make it to the CL next year under the new regime.

Tottenham it is then.

Would be very happy with that but sounds like Levy won't wait till the end of the season before doing anything.  Talk of giving Jol 5 or 6 games seems to be pie in the sky.  I wouldn't guarantee him being at WHL at the start of October, let alone at the end of it. 

Tottenham it is then.

Would be very happy with that but sounds like Levy won't wait till the end of the season before doing anything.  Talk of giving Jol 5 or 6 games seems to be pie in the sky.  I wouldn't guarantee him being at WHL at the start of October, let alone at the end of it. 

Bascially if Jol's confidence isn't blown by all the shannanigans he must be made of steel.

I dont think he is going to go to Spurs anytime soon.He has already said that he doesnt not want to manage another Premiership club in his next step and he is man of his words.I dont know about how true about the story which says he cannot manage another premiership club for another year or so,but even if that is not true,I dont think he should manage another english club just yet.So I guess for now Spurs would have to stick with Jol or find other replacement if they are unhappy.

Tottenham it is then.

Bascially if Jol's confidence isn't blown by all the shannanigans he must be made of steel.

Jol's confidence hasn't been dented, he's incredibly resilient.  But he is severely pissed off with the board (he can't be blamed for that!) and wants out asap.  I think we'll be seeing some very strange team selections if Levy doesn't act sooner than later.  Defoe, Huddlestone and Bale not in the squad for Bolton, Lennon on the bench, I hear that Berbatov might be next.

I dont think he is going to go to Spurs anytime soon.He has already said that he doesnt not want to manage another Premiership club in his next step and he is man of his words.I dont know about how true about the story which says he cannot manage another premiership club for another year or so,but even if that is not true,I dont think he should manage another english club just yet.So I guess for now Spurs would have to stick with Jol or find other replacement if they are unhappy.

I agree, I don't think he will go to Spurs anytime soon and I still feel inclined to think what I said on page 8, it'll be long odds on Mourinho going to Spurs in the summer either.  The fact that Comolli was in Spain on Saturday watching Barca v. Sevilla suggests to me that Ramos is still the preferred option.  Probably because he'd come cheaper!!

Tottenham it is then.

Jol's confidence hasn't been dented, he's incredibly resilient.  But he is severely pissed off with the board (he can't be blamed for that!) and wants out asap.  I think we'll be seeing some very strange team selections if Levy doesn't act sooner than later.   Defoe, Huddlestone and Bale not in the squad for Bolton, Lennon on the bench, I hear that Berbatov might be next.

I agree, I don't think he will go to Spurs anytime soon and I still feel inclined to think what I said on page 8, it'll be long odds on Mourinho going to Spurs in the summer either.  The fact that Comolli was in Spain on Saturday watching Barca v. Sevilla suggests to me that Ramos is still the preferred option.  Probably because he'd come cheaper!!

Hoddle it is then.