People who dislike football...

Guest firetotheworks

I think thats due to footballers being paid rediculous amounts for something that isnt academic. With the exception of Models and some musicians the other fields are academic. Whether you want to call football art is up for debate. I think aside from Zidane and Maradona it isnt.

What do you mean by academic?

I split up with my last girlfriend because of football.  I'm always either playing it or watching it.  Everything else has to be satisfied with second place.  She quite understandably wasn't.  She was a grumpy moaning greetin-faced cow anyway though  :celb:

Guest firetotheworks

I think thats due to footballers being paid rediculous amounts for something that isnt academic. With the exception of Models and some musicians the other fields are academic. Whether you want to call football art is up for debate. I think aside from Zidane and Maradona it isnt.

What do you mean by academic?

Something that requires predominantly intellect rather than natural talent. Im not suggesting for one second that football doesnt require you to use intelligence. But I would say it requires no or very little use of maths, science, english etc. I personally think footballers are overpaid on moral grounds, but you could say that for most jobs, Im not saying it should be changed because like someone said, its supply and demand. The reason I think people kick up a fuss is because of the academic skills to money earned ratio.

To give an example, one of my mates was in the same year as Steven Taylor at school. She got the schools best ever GCSE results, Steven Taylor didnt, yet there is a photo of Steven Taylor in the schools reception. She doesnt want the attention but theres no denying that it sends out a mixed message about the schools academic values.

Worst thing is that when the World Cup or Euros roll around, these daft twats will have their 'The Sun' flags flying from their cars.

I get really really annoyed when people who don't show any interest other than for a month every two years offer me their opinion on England or whatever. You know nowt so fuck off.

Aye, but they accpet it's part of the fun and just get on with it. Wish there was a lot less BS in football too.

Oh well that makes it OK then, and far more fair than football

Well actually.... yeah! :lol:

Being a NUFC fan, I dearly wish I hated football. Honestly.

The sweet isnt nearly as sweet without the sour. Hopefully the sweet will happen in my lifetime.

Its all been sour for us - added to which the media revelling and glorying in our failures.

Conversely you have Liverpool fans for example getting nothing BUT the sweet, and the media sucking up to and praising them incessantly.

If I'm with mates who don't like football we don't talk about football. If they like things that I'm not interested in we don't talk about them. The system works quite well.

I've got a mate who likes football but doesn't really like the fact that he likes football because he thinks football fans are charvers. I tell him that yeah some charvers like football, but that football supporters come from all walks of life and that if you weigh it up, the vast majority aren't. He's a season ticket holder as well, so christ knows how he's come up with this.

Personally, whilst I don't mind watching Rugby, I can't stand the attitude of Rugby fans, who always seem to have it in for football and spout on about how Rugby sets a better example or how Rugby is a tougher sport and football is soft. It just strikes me that they are sour that Rugby's popularity is completely dwarfed by Football and that they are extremely jealous of that.

I think you can say a similar thing about American sports - they're jealous because outside of America, not many people are bothered, and all the big American sports stars are virtually unknown outside of the US. They tried to export their sports to other countries, as Britain did with football, but their sports bombed and football took off. That kind of dents their belief that American is best and they don't like it, so they slag it off out of sheer jealousy.

There are three sports I detest, and they are all British-invented sports - Cricket, Tennis and Golf.

At least it's not a real sport though - you don't have to suffer through the Quidditch equivalent of Wimbledon or a series of five day test matches and then a sh*tload of one day games, followed by another series of test matches etc.

I've got a mate who likes football but doesn't really like the fact that he likes football because he thinks football fans are charvers. I tell him that yeah some charvers like football, but that football supporters come from all walks of life and that if you weigh it up, the vast majority aren't. He's a season ticket holder as well, so christ knows how he's come up with this.

Personally, whilst I don't mind watching Rugby, I can't stand the attitude of Rugby fans, who always seem to have it in for football and spout on about how Rugby sets a better example or how Rugby is a tougher sport and football is soft. It just strikes me that they are sour that Rugby's popularity is completely dwarfed by Football and that they are extremely jealous of that.

I think you can say a similar thing about American sports - they're jealous because outside of America, not many people are bothered, and all the big American sports stars are virtually unknown outside of the US. They tried to export their sports to other countries, as Britain did with football, but their sports bombed and football took off. That kind of dents their belief that American is best and they don't like it, so they slag it off out of sheer jealousy.

There are three sports I detest, and they are all British-invented sports - Cricket, Tennis and Golf.

That's an interesting post.

I agree with you about rugby fans and their holier than thou attitude.  How can a sport in which it's ok to punch people in the face set a good example?  I honestly don't see the skill in rugby.  The philosophy of it seems to be "I'm bigger than you so fuckin beat it".

With the American thing, i'm not so sure that they're arsed what the rest of the world thinks of them and their sports.  A lot of them are probably unaware that there is a rest of the world.

Guest optimistic nit

If people have legitimate criticisms of the game then thats fine. For example a lot of girls i know don't like how obsessed people get by it, which is acceptable because they see people in pubs etc going mental at the tv. What pisses me off is when some idiots start saying "footballers are paid too much" and "the players are all primadonnas" when they know nothing about the finances of the game or anything about who the players are.

100% correct, except both of those statements are true, and people are obsessed by football because its fucking brilliant, and if you're not lucky enough to be interested in it then you should probably understand that some people are while you're queing for heat/the sun/other celeb obsessed mag in the newsagents.

Is it just me or do people who vocally dislike football get right on your tits? Fair enough if you dont follow football and have no interest in it, but to have an opinion about it  when you know little about it really pisses me off. Today at work there have been a few examples. This guy next to me was on a call to someone who must have asked him about football. The guy asked who the customer supported and then said 'Ah right, Muppet United are playing tomorrow...thats Newcastle United...ah I dont really follow football' as I sat next to him biting my knuckles. Someone else suggested that the womens football is better than the mens because 'mens football is full of primadonas'...He knows f*** all about football, so why when theres the same sport available, except its less popular does he suggest its better? Different for differents sake surely? Someone also suggested that footballers should 'get a real job'......when that was uttered I was so stifled by their stupidity that I just went 'pah!' and then just kept gasping for 20 seconds. Does anyone else have any examples of these vociferous know it alls?

Try being a fan in the States. Wait, don't. You'd lose your s***.

i feel sorry for you.. when i visited a family friend (a brit) who lives in queens, i hated those pricks who interrupted (his yankydoodle friends) saying "its called soccer", real football is more of a man's game

um.. no it f****** isn't, we invented the sport so we can call it what we want- do we call basketball spamalamdingdong. and yeah american football is a man's game ffs, those guys are more padded up then their illiterate soldiers. 

:lol: needless to say things got violent

Ah that would prrrrrroper grind my gears that like. I would have brought up the whole 'world series' thing with baseball to see how they'd justify naming it that. American football might be tougher than football, but its hardly tougher than rugby.

And you'd be just as guilty as those yanks for ignorance - the World Series is named after the sponsor of the competition

Is it just me or do people who vocally dislike football get right on your tits? Fair enough if you dont follow football and have no interest in it, but to have an opinion about it  when you know little about it really pisses me off. Today at work there have been a few examples. This guy next to me was on a call to someone who must have asked him about football. The guy asked who the customer supported and then said 'Ah right, Muppet United are playing tomorrow...thats Newcastle United...ah I dont really follow football' as I sat next to him biting my knuckles. Someone else suggested that the womens football is better than the mens because 'mens football is full of primadonas'...He knows f*** all about football, so why when theres the same sport available, except its less popular does he suggest its better? Different for differents sake surely? Someone also suggested that footballers should 'get a real job'......when that was uttered I was so stifled by their stupidity that I just went 'pah!' and then just kept gasping for 20 seconds. Does anyone else have any examples of these vociferous know it alls?

i feel sorry for you.. when i visited a family friend (a brit) who lives in queens, i hated those pricks who interrupted (his yankydoodle friends) saying "its called soccer", real football is more of a man's game

um.. no it f****** isn't, we invented the sport so we can call it what we want- do we call basketball spamalamdingdong. and yeah american football is a man's game ffs, those guys are more padded up then their illiterate soldiers. 

Ah that would prrrrrroper grind my gears that like. I would have brought up the whole 'world series' thing with baseball to see how they'd justify naming it that. American football might be tougher than football, but its hardly tougher than rugby.

And you'd be just as guilty as those yanks for ignorance - the World Series is named after the sponsor of the competition

Er... no, it's not.

http://www.snopes.com/business/names/worldseries.asp

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Series

Er... no, it's not.

http://www.snopes.com/business/names/worldseries.asp

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Series

Oops! Ok, I'm wrong apologies all round.

But.....

Did you know the Snopes/Wiki stories anyway or did you decide to check on them to see if you could prove someone wrong?

Just interested!