Arsenal 2 - 0 Newcastle (Carling Cup) - 25/09/07

Newcastle Fan

I think everyone's being very hopeful about Allardyce's lineup.

It seems nailed on to me that Ameobi will start with Martins :(

If that happens,it is most likely that we are playing with 10 men and I hope Big Sam wont be foolish enough to do such thing.

Viduka is unlikely to be fit, so I am quite looking forward to seeing Alan Smith up front with Oba (hopefully). Not only did they link quite well yesterday, it will also take Smith out of midfield which will give the team a much better balance. Zog, Geremi, Butt and Milner will still have plenty of bite but a bit more flow and natural width.

Guest Guinness

I'd give Viduka a rest even if he is fit, he's vital for our league form and we'll need him for the very tough match away at City on Saturday. Seeing as we've only got one day to recover I'd expect quite a few changes for this one. I'd play:

..................................Given................................

Beye..............Faye...............Taylor..............Jose

Milner...........Geremi.............Emre..........N'Zogbia

.....................Smith.............Martins.....................

Guest ExiledGeordie

Looking forward to going to this. Very tough fixture but will be great to be with the Toon fans and check out the Emirates stadium.

Arsenal's likely team

..................................Alumina...................................

Hoyte...........Toure..................Sendoros...........Clichy

Walcott........Song...................Diaby................Flamini

.......................Van Persie........Bendtender................

Not sure about the 4th midfielder... could be any of the senior guys, nor the second striker... Eduardo also could start as he needs games. But the rest of the team seems pretty much nailed on.

Arsenal's likely team

Not sure about the 4th midfielder... could be any of the senior guys, nor the second striker... Eduardo also could start as he needs games. But the rest of the team seems pretty much nailed on.

Surely, he'll rest the likes of Toure and van Persie?

I think its almost certain our defense will be:

Given

Beye Roz Taylor Enrique

Up front i reckon it'll be:

Ameobi Martins

But the midfield is open to change, Can see Emre coming in with Faye, and resting two of: Milner, Zoggy, Smith, Butt, Geremi

I'm gonna guess a MF of:

Geremi Faye Emre Zoggy

Arsenal's likely team

Surely, he'll rest the likes of Toure and van Persie?

Van Persie didn't start against Derby so I guess he'll play in the Carling Cup but there is a good chance that Eduardo will play though. Wegner rarely rotates his defence, so Toure will play. And I totally forgot about Denilson and Diarra.. but certain starters... hence I guess Diaby and Flamini get benched.

does everyone really think that he'll start beye after how knackered he was at the end of sundays game? might be too soon and leave him open to injury, i think he'll rest vid aswell, we can only hope that its smith that replaces him and not shouldnt ameobi

I think everyone's being very hopeful about Allardyce's lineup.

It seems nailed on to me that Ameobi will start with Martins :(

Not sure on that, we seemed to play much better when Smith went up front yesterday, surely that hasn't gone unnoticed.

Given

Beye - Taylor Rozenthal - Enrique

Milner - Geremi - Butt - N'Zogbia

Martins - Viduka

Bench:

Smith

Ameobi

Emre

Faye

Harper

Could really have a go at them in this game.

Guest stonecold

Alright lads? Arsenal fan here in absolute peace.  :icon_thumleft:

The Arsenal team will more than likely be -

---------------Fabianski

Hoyte - Toure - Senderos- Traore

Walcott - Diarra - Denilson - Diaby

---------Eduardo - Bentdner

I highly doubt van Persie will start. You may see a young centre half called Nordveit play, he will certainly feature in the Carling Cup (if we get past you guys of course) but I wouldn't like to see him up against the likes of Oba and Viduka just yet, he has just turned 17 but will be a wonderful player. Flamini may play instead of Diarra/Denilson but other than that the rest of the team is about right.

The starting XI wil be strong, but we will almost certainly be without Almunia, Lehmann, Sagna, Clichy, Gallas, Gilberto, Fabregas, Flamini, Adebayor, van Persie, Hleb, Rosicky. Nice to be able to field that line up with these 12 players missing (and we don't have a squad apparently according to the papers back in August).

Anyway, good luck for the season and may the best team win.

Alright lads? Arsenal fan here in absolute peace.  :icon_thumleft:

The Arsenal team will more than likely be -

---------------Fabianski

Hoyte - Toure - Senderos- Traore

Walcott - Diarra - Denilson - Diaby

---------Eduardo - Bentdner

I highly doubt van Persie will start. You may see a young centre half called Nordveit play, he will certainly feature in the Carling Cup (if we get past you guys of course) but I wouldn't like to see him up against the likes of Oba and Viduka just yet, he has just turned 17 but will be a wonderful player. Flamini may play instead of Diarra/Denilson but other than that the rest of the team is about right.

The starting XI wil be strong, but we will almost certainly be without Almunia, Lehmann, Sagna, Clichy, Gallas, Gilberto, Fabregas, Flamini, Adebayor, van Persie, Hleb, Rosicky. Nice to be able to field that line up with these 12 players missing (and we don't have a squad apparently according to the papers back in August).

Anyway, good luck for the season and may the best team win.

Given

Beye - Taylor - Faye- Enrique

Milner - Butt - Geremi - N'Zogbia

Smith/Viduka - Martins

Not bad for a team with 8 players out ;)

Given

Beye - Taylor Rozenthal - Enrique

Milner - Geremi - Butt - N'Zogbia

Martins - Viduka

Bench:

Smith

Ameobi

Emre

Faye

Harper

Could really have a go at them in this game.

I'd go with that IF Viduka's fit. If not Smith up top.

Emre i'd maybe play if i knew he was definately ready.

Worst possible time to be playing Arsenal. They're top of the league, it's at their place, and we only get one day's rest while they get two. We have to go down there and rain on their parade, get at them early on and show them they won't get an easy result.

They got to the final last year with their youngsters, we have be considered underdogs here regardless of the team they put out. I do think we'll need some height up front, Arsenal aren't the most comfortable with high balls, espescially their younger players. I'll probably get slated for this but there is a case for playing Ameobi. Viduka won't handle three starts in a week and certainly won't handle two in three days, so it's a straight choice between Smith and Ameobi to partner Martins. Smith looked OK alongside Owen for England, but that was in a dominant team against Germany's reserves. We'll be the underdogs here, and I think we'll need an option for those longer balls when we're in trouble.

Worst possible time to be playing Arsenal. They're top of the league, it's at their place, and we only get one day's rest while they get two. We have to go down there and rain on their parade, get at them early on and show them they won't get an easy result.

They got to the final last year with their youngsters, we have be considered underdogs here regardless of the team they put out. I do think we'll need some height up front, Arsenal aren't the most comfortable with high balls, espescially their younger players. I'll probably get slated for this but there is a case for playing Ameobi. Viduka won't handle three starts in a week and certainly won't handle two in three days, so it's a straight choice between Smith and Ameobi to partner Martins. Smith looked OK alongside Owen for England, but that was in a dominant team against Germany's reserves. We'll be the underdogs here, and I think we'll need an option for those longer balls when we're in trouble.

ok, i dont want this to appear like a one man crusade against shola in a number of diferent threads, but are you joking? he's fucking terrible in the air!

ok, i dont want this to appear like a one man crusade against shola in a number of diferent threads, but are you joking? he's f****** terrible in the air!

Both Smith and Ameobi have terrible goalscoring records. Both were shocking against Derby.

It's a tough one to call for me, but I think Ameobi is happier playing with his back to goal than Smith and we'll need that against Arsenal. If we try and outplay them at the Emirates we're asking for trouble. Ameobi is terrible at converting crosses and his hold up play is very hit and miss I agree, but I don't see how Smith will do that job any better.

ok, i dont want this to appear like a one man crusade against shola in a number of diferent threads, but are you joking? he's f****** terrible in the air!

Both Smith and Ameobi have terrible goalscoring records. Both were shocking against Derby.

It's a tough one to call for me, but I think Ameobi is happier playing with his back to goal than Smith and we'll need that against Arsenal. If we try and outplay them at the Emirates we're asking for trouble. Ameobi is terrible at converting crosses and his hold up play is very hit and miss I agree, but I don't see how Smith will do that job any better.

because he's a better footballer? i'm not basing my opinion on these two players solely on the game against derby like, i'm talking about their entire careers, smith is a better forward than ameobi, i mean, haway

because he's a better footballer? i'm not basing my opinion on these two players solely on the game against derby like, i'm talking about their entire careers, smith is a better forward than ameobi, i mean, haway

Maybe he is, but it's all about picking a team to win a game. There are plenty better footballers than Heskey, but he did the job against Israel and Russia. He didn't score but the team won.

Smith's goalscoring record is actually pretty shocking anyway, in a game like this I think it's a tough one to call between him and Ameobi. They'll bring different qualities to the table, but neither are ideal. Ameobi will be significantly less fatigued than Smith who played 90 mins yesterday, and he is a lot bigger than Smith. In a game like this I think we'll need to make our physical advantages count against a young but technically gifted Arsenal side. But who knows? Neither are great choices IMO, I just hope whoever is picked does the job tomorrow.