Will we ever see Newcastle win a trophy?

McCormick

He will not be interested at all (neither am I) in us winning the odd cup, here and there, or anything like that. He will want us to challenge for the league, season in, season out, and to win it as often as possible.

The thing is, you could say the same thing about Thaksin Shinawatra, Bgorgolfobiscuitbarrel, Randy Lerner, ENIC, Gaydamek, and whoever eventually buys Everton.

Billionaire owners are going to become the norm rather than the exception. Right now, there are an awful lot of clubs with very rich, ambitious owners.

Have you got the much vaunted "five year plan" yet? If you haven't, I bet you do soon. It seems a must for every recently taken over club to have one.

There are going to be a lot of disappointed billionaires soon, when they realise we can't all win the league.

Nope, not a chance. It's just not meant to be. I can see only heartbreak and devastation ahead. And I'm quite optimistic.

Our future is going to be very different from that. Very different from (most of - Keegan/Robson years apart) the last 38 trophy-less years.

Though, even in those 38 years, I have been to quite a number of Cup Finals with us:

1 - 1969, European Fairs Cup Final (WON).

2 - 1974, FA Cup Final (LOST).

3 - 1976, League Cup Final (LOST).

4 - 1998, FA Cup Final (LOST).

5 - 1999, FA Cup Final (LOST).

But, as I said in my recent earlier post, winning the odd cup is not going to be particularly significant in our future (in my opinion). They will NOT say that (they are way too professional for that) but I do not think that is remotely what Ashley/Mort/Allardyce, have in mind (particularly Ashley).

He will not be interested at all (neither am I) in us winning the odd cup, here and there, or anything like that. He will want us to challenge for the league, season in, season out, and to win it as often as possible.

The thing is, you could say the same thing about Thaksin Shinawatra, Bgorgolfobiscuitbarrel, Randy Lerner, ENIC, Gaydamek, and whoever eventually buys Everton.

Billionaire owners are going to become the norm rather than the exception. Right now, there are an awful lot of clubs with very rich, ambitious owners.

Have you got the much vaunted "five year plan" yet? If you haven't, I bet you do soon. It seems a must for every recently taken over club to have one.

There are going to be a lot of disappointed billionaires soon, when they realise we can't all win the league.

Ashley/Mort/Allardyce will never say anything as totally stupid as "five year plans" or "we are going to dominate the league" or "we are going to win this that and the other by whenever".

Ashley is a winner who does not talk about his intentions, until they are no longer intentions.

This is a far too intelligent and professional set-up for ANY of that.

We are in a very competitive rich-mans league now (the names you mention, plus Abramovich etc) and you have to ally this new-owners-thing to any other natural advantages any of these clubs may already have (think about OURS) to estimate who will be the most successful.

In a few years time we will KNOW who is the most successful.

I would not bet against Mike Ashley!!

I wouldn't bet against any of them, to be honest.

I would!!

As I say above  -  "We are in a very competitive rich-mans league now (the names you mention, plus Abramovich etc) and you have to ally this new-owners-thing to any other natural advantages any of these clubs may already have (think about OURS) to estimate who will be the most successful."

I wouldn't bet against any of them, to be honest.

I would!!

As I say above  -  "We are in a very competitive rich-mans league now (the names you mention, plus Abramovich etc) and you have to ally this new-owners-thing to any other natural advantages any of these clubs may already have (think about OURS) to estimate who will be the most successful."

I'm still not getting it.

Money is an enormous leveller, hence Portsmouth having transfer clout.  The downside of this kind of new owner is that if they decide they've had enough, we're fucked.

The clubs which have the biggest natural advantage are without doubt the London clubs, purely because of where they are.

Waving a huge amount of cash at a foreign player and his club is one thing. Doing that and then saying "come and live and work in the most exciting city in the world" is another altogether. Hence why West Ham are probably the best placed of those mentioned.

I would like to believe so but the question for me is whether I will  be able to see it before my time is up.

Or before the aliens arrive.

Well I dont mind that as long as Ive seen we winning a trophy first.

I would like to believe so but the question for me is whether I will  be able to see it before my time is up.

:lol:

:lol:

why before the aliens arrive, there may be some fantakka players among them and no doubt tom is right so it will probably be sooner rather than later,bring it on.

we are the thetan

the thetan boot boys

for we are mental

for we are mad

we got our souls put

down a volcano

tom cruise the stupid twat

we are the thetan

the thetan boot boys

for we are mental

for we are mad

we got our souls put

down a volcano

tom cruise the stupid twat

You're going home in a rocket powered ambulance

Your spacecraft, your spacecraft is fucking shit ....

Now we have allardyce i'd say this time, more than any other time, this time, we're going to find a way, find a way to get away (from our recent past). This time, getting it all together, we'll get it right.

SO TRUE!

Allardyce, plus Ashley plus Mort.

Brummie, I will be getting back to you. Having to do work at the moment . . . . .

Now we have allardyce i'd say this time, more than any other time, this time, we're going to find a way, find a way to get away (from our recent past). This time, getting it all together, we'll get it right.

Espana '82 iirc.

Espana '82 iirc.

Aye, i've been singing in my head all morning for some daft reason. Canny song imo.

All this hard work will pay off in the end with cup glory!

I've been a Newcastle United Supporter for near enough 17 years and like most have seen nothing but failure. I remember exactly where I was in 96 when we lost it right at the end of the season to Man Utd - damn Tottenham! (If memory serves me right).

I am very optimistic about the future of Newcastle and I can see us establishing ourselves as one of the EPL leading teams in the next 5 years. I can't wait until I get to go to Wembley and watch us win in the cup final! I can't wait to see the flowing attacking football of the mid-90's return, but with the addition of a sturdy defensive unit! Exciting times ahead... I guarantee it!  O0

the only cups we can possible win in the next few years is the fa , carling and maybe uefa cup unless we have a vast improvement in the team we will not win the premier league or champions league now for many many years! im 20 and hope to win a cup before in 50!

keep the faith

Guest Brazilianbob

Has anyone considered that these billionaires are buying up EPL sides not so they can bring success to the long suffering fans, but simply so they can establish firm business contacts with some of the richest men in the world.

They all seem to be targeting the EPL so it makes sense to me to get your feet under the table first rather than waiting for scraps to fall or be thrown off the table.

It's what used to happen in the days of Seymour, Westwood and Mckeag.

Back then it was simply a rich boys club where they all scratched each others backs business wise, and football sucess came second.

In the 15 years since the PL started only 4 teams have won it, another 1 club in addition to those 4 has won the FA Cup & another 4 to that PL winning 4 have won the League Cup. Out of 45 trophies only 9 clubs have shared the success and outside of the "Big 4"only Villa has won more than 1 trophy (the League Cup twice). Let's be honest the League Cup has not been important to the "Big 4". None outside the Big 4 has won in europe during that time.

We will need a lot of luck to win anything or a bigger sea change than has already taken place. It will not be easy as we have shown all too often.

I was alive when we won the Fairs Cup but too young to remember it. In over 40 years on this planet I have never been able to celebrate winning anything, although winning the "1st" Division with KK was a great time.

I could go on about the clubs that have won trophies in my living memory but it will just upset me (Oxford, ffs).

In the 15 years since the PL started only 4 teams have won it, another 1 club in addition to those 4 has won the FA Cup & another 4 to that PL winning 4 have won the League Cup. Out of 45 trophies only 9 clubs have shared the success and outside of the "Big 4"only Villa has won more than 1 trophy (the League Cup twice). Let's be honest the League Cup has not been important to the "Big 4". None outside the Big 4 has won in europe during that time.

We will need a lot of luck to win anything or a bigger sea change than has already taken place. It will not be easy as we have shown all too often.

I was alive when we won the Fairs Cup but too young to remember it. In over 40 years on this planet I have never been able to celebrate winning anything, although winning the "1st" Division with KK was a great time.

I could go on about the clubs that have won trophies in my living memory but it will just upset me (Oxford, ffs).

The date of the name change from the "First Division" to the "Premier League" is an arbitrary date from which to start your statistical comparisons.

It is a 'much beloved' date for some people. Often these are people who think that football was invented in 1992, and was invented by Sky!  I am not saying that you are one of those, but there are plenty of them around, and this is just pandering to their seeming beliefs.

The game has a lot more money in it now and the formation of the Premier League helped in this, but it would probably have happened anyway (unfortunately, in many ways).

There was no tangible difference between the last season of The First Division and the first season of the Premier League  -  so why do you start your analysis at that arbitrary date?  Normally people would look back and analyse issues over (say) the "last ten years" or the "last twenty years", or the last 30, 40, or 50, or whatever.

The date of the name change from the "First Division" to the "Premier League" is an arbitrary date from which to start your statistical comparisons.

It is a 'much beloved' date for some people. Often these are people who think that football was invented in 1992, and was invented by Sky!  I am not saying that you are one of those, but there are plenty of them around, and this is just pandering to their seeming beliefs.

The game has a lot more money in it now and the formation of the Premier League helped in this, but it would probably have happened anyway (unfortunately, in many ways).

There was no tangible difference between the last season of The First Division and the first season of the Premier League  -  so why do you start your analysis at that arbitrary date?  Normally people would look back and analyse issues over (say) the "last ten years" or the "last twenty years", or the last 30, 40, or 50, or whatever.

For the simple reason that the PL fundamentally changed the face of football & Sky's money immediately widened the gap between those that have and those that didn't.

nah, what is so good abt winning a trophy? It is far more exciting supporting an underacheiving club than say the likes of the top 4.  I bet Arsenal fans suffer more than us in the last few seasons where they did not win the league wheras we are lingering in mid table.  At least, we will not get disappointed easily and still able to smile even if we suck, as deep down inside, nothing beats supporting the team (regardless good or crap) you support all your life.  Thats the game!!!