Will we ever see Newcastle win a trophy?

McCormick

Roeder knew that?

Aye, he signed Martins, he apparently wanted the likes of Davies, Ferdinand, Andreolli and Onuoha.

You can't really judge a manager on who they allegedly wanted to sign though, can you?

Guest jamesmartinsmith

I'm only 18 and I've already given up hope, nevertheless, I love this club and will continue to support it.

The Arsenal game summed it up for me the other day. Look at these young players they acquire, they are incredible they can be some of the best in the world. Diarra was my man of the match he cost £2 million, we wasted £6 million on Alan Smith. Barton and Enrique are relatively young but it seems stupid Sam is only interested in signing players who have got 2 or 3 years left in them.

This transfer policy is not sustainable, we need good young players.

:lol: :jesuswept:

?

Well, you listed two players he's signed who are young plus Smith who's 27, and then there's Rozenhal so I thought you refuted your own argument rather nicely re: the stupid transfer policy of the manager. As well as somewhat writing off the much needed experience that the other signings added to the backline.

We only have three young, promising defenders in my opinion.

You were talking about Allardyce's transfer policy though and his only being interested in signing players with 2 or 3 years left in them. Clearly not true.

OK, I shouldn't have said only, but we need young players. Roeder and Robson both knew that.

I'd say it was a failing in Robson that he bought too much for tomorrow and not enough for the present. Roeder's transfer policy was an absolute shambles. Was Le Sib the sort of player you meant btw? ;)

Sib was a panic signing, that paid off well.

I don't think he had the full support of the board when it came to transfers.

I'm only 18 and I've already given up hope, nevertheless, I love this club and will continue to support it.

The Arsenal game summed it up for me the other day. Look at these young players they acquire, they are incredible they can be some of the best in the world. Diarra was my man of the match he cost £2 million, we wasted £6 million on Alan Smith. Barton and Enrique are relatively young but it seems stupid Sam is only interested in signing players who have got 2 or 3 years left in them.

?

Well, you listed two players he's signed who are young plus Smith who's 27, and then there's Rozenhal so I thought you refuted your own argument rather nicely re: the stupid transfer policy of the manager. As well as somewhat writing off the much needed experience that the other signings added to the backline.

You were talking about Allardyce's transfer policy though and his only being interested in signing players with 2 or 3 years left in them. Clearly not true.

OK, I shouldn't have said only, but we need young players. Roeder and Robson both knew that.

I'd say it was a failing in Robson that he bought too much for tomorrow and not enough for the present. Roeder's transfer policy was an absolute shambles. Was Le Sib the sort of player you meant btw? ;)

Sib was a panic signing, that paid off well.

I don't think he had the full support of the board when it came to transfers.

Aye, the point re: Sibierski was the main thrust of my post like. You'd be better off ignoring Roeder's transfer policy to have a pop at Allardyce's imo.

?

oh dear

I dream of it happening one day but seem destined never to win owt. We could play Accrington Stanley in a cup final and still blow it. Hopefully good things come to those who wait and all that.

What annoys me is some of the clubs that have won stuff in fairly recent history.

Coventry(FA CUP 87)

Wimbledon(FA cup 88)

Oxford, Norwich, Leicester, Blackburn and of course the smoggy scum in the league cup. Blackburn winning the prem'. Makes me sick.

Just give us a cup, even if it's only one to see how it feels and to stop away fans singing "you've never won F*** all".

:rant:

Shall i tell you what I've seen my team win?

*saucy, winking emoticon here*

Serious point - I don't think Villa win win anything else in my lifetime, either. We're never, ever going to win the FA Cup again, certainly. Seven times, last one 50 years ago this year.

Football is now getting to the point where the biggest clubs will protect their businesses to the point at which it will be impossible for others to win stuff other than the odd Carling Cup

EDIT bring back the Simod Cup! Bring back the Watneys Cup! Bring back the Leyland Daf Cup!

EDIT EDIT actually, I'm 39 and have seen plenty of silverware, but I was thinking (at our match) last night that the 10 year old kid who was sat behind me will probably never ever know what it is like to see us win something**, yet he (or his parents) is forking out a massive amount of money to watch that futile pursuit.

** unless he was gestating at the 1996 LC final, obv

Guest JohnnySpot

Of course.  It just takes that one moment for a team with doubt to overcome their own insecurities and change the course.  It's not like the talent isn't there. 

I have felt that in recent years there has been an almost subconscious fear (not really the right word maybe nervousness) about winning a trophy.  Everyone talks about what it will be like if we won something - from the supporters, the club, the players and the media that is has become this huge mythical thing that we dream about but ultimately do not believe it will happen.

I hope that with such a huge overhaul of staff throughout the club and with many having achieved success in previous clubs or in different areas that they expect success rather than merely hope for it and that at last find we will find that winning mentality that has been absent for so long.

Saw the Fairs Cup win, and it was a marvellous feeling, esp as no-one expected us to win when we got in at the end of the previous season.

However, we won because it was a two-legged competition - had we been drawn AWAY to Feyenoord in the first game and had ro rely on a draw to get a replay, we would have gone out in the first leg...

Wyn Davies shocked many Continental defenders with his jumping ability - they just couldn't handle him and we cashed in through Pop Robson etc as well as having some good young players(Foggon & Dyson) and a good defence.

Its a much tougher job these days - domestically, there is really only 1 chance of a trophy for teams outside the Top 4 and we have just gone out of that, depressingly to the second team of one of the Top 4 ; as for the UEFA Cup, the final is now one-legged, so that would cut down any chance of home advantage.

Lets face it, we are hopeless away from SJP - how many matches did we go without winning in London prior to beating Arsenal in Dec 2001...!!???

Look what happened at even Derby, for heaven's sake...also, FA Cup Finals in 98, 99...

I know Sam will make us harder to beat, but that is NOT the same as getting a good proportion of wins on Away grounds, so unfortunately, I think it will be a long time before a trophy arrives at SJP.

Sometimes I remember what McDermott said after we blew the Title in 96 - 'The Club is cursed'.......

At least I've seen us do it and know what a great feeling it is, but that is a small oasis in a long period of drought & disappointment.

Saw the Fairs Cup win, and it was a marvellous feeling, esp as no-one expected us to win when we got in at the end of the previous season.

However, we won because it was a two-legged competition - had we been drawn AWAY to Feyenoord in the first game and had ro rely on a draw to get a replay, we would have gone out in the first leg...

Wyn Davies shocked many Continental defenders with his jumping ability - they just couldn't handle him and we cashed in through Pop Robson etc as well as having some good young players(Foggon & Dyson) and a good defence.

Its a much tougher job these days - domestically, there is really only 1 chance of a trophy for teams outside the Top 4 and we have just gone out of that, depressingly to the second team of one of the Top 4 ; as for the UEFA Cup, the final is now one-legged, so that would cut down any chance of home advantage.

Lets face it, we are hopeless away from SJP - how many matches did we go without winning in London prior to beating Arsenal in Dec 2001...!!???

Look what happened at even Derby, for heaven's sake...also, FA Cup Finals in 98, 99...

I know Sam will make us harder to beat, but that is NOT the same as getting a good proportion of wins on Away grounds, so unfortunately, I think it will be a long time before a trophy arrives at SJP.

Sometimes I remember what McDermott said after we blew the Title in 96 - 'The Club is cursed'.......

At least I've seen us do it and know what a great feeling it is, but that is a small oasis in a long period of drought & disappointment.

Mike Ashley is a billionaire and a football fan. Now, he is a Newcastle United football fan. He will not be interested at all (neither am I) in us winning the odd cup, here and there, or anything like that. He will want us to challenge for the league, season in, season out, and to win it as often as possible.

That is what he will (in my opinion) have instructed Allardyce and Mort to build towards.

Hopefully, we will win the odd cup or two on the way, and after we get there too, but they are not (cannot be) his ultimate objective.

I doubt also, that he has the automatic subservience to and reveration for, this mythical thing (that so many people revere) known as "the big four". People talk about this grouping as if they are as permanent as the Roman Wall! 

They are the four English clubs who have recently been very much the most successful. That is all they are. They (or some of them) are likely to be around to some extent in the future, but so are we and one or two others.

That is (in my view, as I say) what our billionaire owner will want  -  US to be the top club, and he will not care who (if anyone) is up there with us.

That is what is happening now, we are at the very start of the process of building toward this.

How long will it take?  -  Don't know.

Does he want the odd cup win on the way? (FA / League / UEFA, whatever) - Yes, but those are not the objective.

Does he idolise - as permanent - four other football clubs that are currently doing well?  -  Unlike some, I am sure he does NOT.

Guest Harry-Norway

Yeah,hope so,i Have been a true Toon fan since early 70`s,and i am still waiting,looks like there is a curse over Toon,there has been some finals,but we always come out second :coolsmiley: