Will we ever see Newcastle win a trophy?

McCormick

nah, what is so good abt winning a trophy? It is far more exciting supporting an underacheiving club than say the likes of the top 4.  I bet Arsenal fans suffer more than us in the last few seasons where they did not win the league wheras we are lingering in mid table.  At least, we will not get disappointed easily and still able to smile even if we suck, as deep down inside, nothing beats supporting the team (regardless good or crap) you support all your life.  Thats the game!!!

???

aye let's strive to be crap

nah, what is so good abt winning a trophy? It is far more exciting supporting an underacheiving club than say the likes of the top 4.  I bet Arsenal fans suffer more than us in the last few seasons where they did not win the league wheras we are lingering in mid table.  At least, we will not get disappointed easily and still able to smile even if we suck, as deep down inside, nothing beats supporting the team (regardless good or crap) you support all your life.  Thats the game!!!

???

aye let's strive to be crap

Thats not what i meant. My point is to be realistic...no point getting worked up if we cannot beat Derby or Arsenal or finishing 15th this season or not wining a trophy in the near term.  The fact is that we are not near good enough yet...how long will it take for us to get back into the top 10 nevermind the top 6 or winning a cup? Based on current conditions may not happen till the next generation but so what????? we support NUFC because its in our blood and part of our life not because it is a successful club like Man U/Chelsea etc. 

No idea,  but unlikely with the current side. The midfield is weak. Our winger is mediocre, central midfield is all too solid but lacks any pace or inspiration. Most one paced midfield I've seen us have in a long time. Unless Duff rediscovers form and Barton settles in and plays above himself then can't see it just now. A midfield of Duff, N'Zogbia, Barton and Geremi looks ok on paper. Certainly better than what we have at present. Viduka and Owen/Martins will score goals if we give them service. At present we aren't. FA cup is possible this season but unlikely. The wealth of our owner is dwarfed by that of others and we arent sure he'll invest heavily in the transfer market.

We need better than we have across midfield and probably better up front too if we aim for serious honours. Not too convinced by Sam but he might come good. At the minute he is a light year behind Ferguson, Wenger and Rafa.

On the other hand we might just get lucky and I would settle for that if it occurs in the next few years.

In the 15 years since the PL started only 4 teams have won it, another 1 club in addition to those 4 has won the FA Cup & another 4 to that PL winning 4 have won the League Cup. Out of 45 trophies only 9 clubs have shared the success and outside of the "Big 4"only Villa has won more than 1 trophy (the League Cup twice). Let's be honest the League Cup has not been important to the "Big 4". None outside the Big 4 has won in europe during that time.

We will need a lot of luck to win anything or a bigger sea change than has already taken place. It will not be easy as we have shown all too often.

I was alive when we won the Fairs Cup but too young to remember it. In over 40 years on this planet I have never been able to celebrate winning anything, although winning the "1st" Division with KK was a great time.

I could go on about the clubs that have won trophies in my living memory but it will just upset me (Oxford, ffs).

The date of the name change from the "First Division" to the "Premier League" is an arbitrary date from which to start your statistical comparisons.

It is a 'much beloved' date for some people. Often these are people who think that football was invented in 1992, and was invented by Sky!  I am not saying that you are one of those, but there are plenty of them around, and this is just pandering to their seeming beliefs.

The game has a lot more money in it now and the formation of the Premier League helped in this, but it would probably have happened anyway (unfortunately, in many ways).

There was no tangible difference between the last season of The First Division and the first season of the Premier League  -  so why do you start your analysis at that arbitrary date?  Normally people would look back and analyse issues over (say) the "last ten years" or the "last twenty years", or the last 30, 40, or 50, or whatever.

Often mentioned, but I have yet to see anyone like this. Seems simply a stock insult tbh.

In the 15 years since the PL started only 4 teams have won it, another 1 club in addition to those 4 has won the FA Cup & another 4 to that PL winning 4 have won the League Cup. Out of 45 trophies only 9 clubs have shared the success and outside of the "Big 4"only Villa has won more than 1 trophy (the League Cup twice). Let's be honest the League Cup has not been important to the "Big 4". None outside the Big 4 has won in europe during that time.

We will need a lot of luck to win anything or a bigger sea change than has already taken place. It will not be easy as we have shown all too often.

I was alive when we won the Fairs Cup but too young to remember it. In over 40 years on this planet I have never been able to celebrate winning anything, although winning the "1st" Division with KK was a great time.

I could go on about the clubs that have won trophies in my living memory but it will just upset me (Oxford, ffs).

The date of the name change from the "First Division" to the "Premier League" is an arbitrary date from which to start your statistical comparisons.

It is a 'much beloved' date for some people. Often these are people who think that football was invented in 1992, and was invented by Sky!  I am not saying that you are one of those, but there are plenty of them around, and this is just pandering to their seeming beliefs.

The game has a lot more money in it now and the formation of the Premier League helped in this, but it would probably have happened anyway (unfortunately, in many ways).

There was no tangible difference between the last season of The First Division and the first season of the Premier League  -  so why do you start your analysis at that arbitrary date?  Normally people would look back and analyse issues over (say) the "last ten years" or the "last twenty years", or the last 30, 40, or 50, or whatever.

Often mentioned, but I have yet to see anyone like this. Seems simply a stock insult tbh.

There are quite a lot of them where I work, and near where I live, have seen the odd one on here (or they seem to be) but not too many, thankfully.

Take it you don't watch Sky then?

*winky thing*

Take it you don't watch Sky then?

*winky thing*

only to see if xenu's coming

I'm sure there are...

It's difficult to judge. Mainly due to the coincidental timing of our rise and SKYs birth. The run in to the 1991/92 season was purgatory and the Portsmouth game wasn't a full attendance despite it's significance. We got a lot of fans back from that success in 1992/93 for obvious reasons. Equally we got a lot of new fans in the Keegan years from across the country. There are plenty who might not attend and still want to talk the talk - the 606 phone in types. Of course we have SKY fans and plenty who see nowt of Newcastle other than through that medium. Nothing wrong with it but you can't beat going to the game. SKY is a ball watching medium. They miss a fair bit off the ball that isn't particularly significant...until a player does very similar and a goal is scored. Lots missed on the telly like runs off the ball etc Still think you only get half the picture so to speak.

I'm sure there are...

It's difficult to judge. Mainly due to the coincidental timing of our rise and SKYs birth. The run in to the 1991/92 season was purgatory and the Portsmouth game wasn't a full attendance despite it's significance. We got a lot of fans back from that success in 1992/93 for obvious reasons. Equally we got a lot of new fans in the Keegan years from across the country. There are plenty who might not attend and still want to talk the talk - the 606 phone in types. Of course we have SKY fans and plenty who see nowt of Newcastle other than through that medium. Nothing wrong with it but you can't beat going to the game. SKY is a ball watching medium. They miss a fair bit off the ball that isn't particularly significant...until a player does very similar and a goal is scored. Lots missed on the telly like runs off the ball etc Still think you only get half the picture so to speak.

The fact that many fans can only see games via television is much of the reason for forums such as this to exist at all tbh. These people cannot get to games for whatever reason but should still be allowed their say.

There are equally informed things that you can't see at the game that replays and camera angles give you, so both methods have their plusses.

Of course, ultimately nothing can ever beat actually attending the match, like. To suggest otherwise is silly. It just grates on me that so many people use this standard 'Sky fan, football only started in 1992' bollocks.

Well i'm only 25 so I fuckin well hope so.

I'm so glad I'm in my (very) late 30s and thus had a good spell before football became about a handful of clubs monopolising everything.

True enough but it was still a monopoly of sorts. 4 teams won the league in the 80s. 4 teams won it in the 90s iirc.

3 so far in the 00s.

Of course there was a bit more variation in the cups.

I'm sure there are...

The fact that many fans can only see games via television is much of the reason for forums such as this to exist at all tbh. These people cannot get to games for whatever reason but should still be allowed their say.

There are equally informed things that you can't see at the game that replays and camera angles give you, so both methods have their plusses.

Of course, ultimately nothing can ever beat actually attending the match, like. To suggest otherwise is silly. It just grates on me that so many people use this standard 'Sky fan, football only started in 1992' bollocks.

You'll never beat being at the match and the "SKY fan" shite is just that. Equally it does grate when people on forums simply jump on the latest bandwagon. Really do wish people would make their own mind up. People around me (and I've sat in the same place for years) have very different views about players to what you might have read here. Think thats because they watch what is happening rather than have it told to them by a fella on the telly or radio.

Most people at the game where I sit seem to rate Smith and Milner highly. :razz:

People where I sit don't tend to agree on a great deal! Some common themes but usually its to do with the politics that surround the club and players. Its more of shut the fuck up to the booers than a booing section if you know what i mean. Quite bolshy really. I enjoy it. Tell them from me Milner is shite though.  O0

I definitely believe the fans at the game place a great emphasis on graft, and will applaud a player for it even if they produce nothing else all day. Hence the Smith/Milner loving perhaps.

Some certainly do. I'd rather have a talented waster over a grafter anyday. Seen a hundred and one grafters down the years with very little talent. I go there for entertainment not headless chicken running about.

I definitely believe the fans at the game place a great emphasis on graft, and will applaud a player for it even if they produce nothing else all day. Hence the Smith/Milner loving perhaps.

Some certainly do. I'd rather have a talented waster over a grafter anyday. Seen a hundred and one grafters down the years with very little talent. I go there for entertainment not headless chicken running about.

Says the soopa fan who thinks the sun shines out of Dyer's arse.....  :cheesy:

Just better than we currently have. Thats a fact. Certainly not someone I want back but the current crop aren't good enough. I seem to have got under your skin.....

Just better than we currently have. Thats a fact. Certainly not someone I want back but the current crop aren't good enough. I seem to have got under your skin.....

Eh?

As usual you posted absolute bollocks, and/or a contradiction of an earlier position you've taken, so I replied to highlight it for all those people you've called "thick" in other threads. If you think this means you're getting under my skin.....well you couldn't be more wrong, you're making me laugh, tbh.

All I can say is, if you keep posting on here there'll be more to come given the criteria I just explained above. Keep it coming, the entertainment value you offer isn't bad.