Sack Big Sam

Decky

Guest Jungle Barry

Aug 2004 - Bobby Robson

Aug 2005 - Graeme Souness

Aug 2006 - Glenn Roeder

Aug 2007 - Sam Allardyce

How can we ever achive any success if we keep chopping and changing every season? It's no coincidencethat that the top sides have a manager in place for a number of years (Ferguson, Wenger, Allardyce at bolton!)

To advocate sacking Sam now is complete lunacy

Guest RealGeordie

Aug 2004 - Bobby Robson

Aug 2006 - Glenn Roeder

Aug 2007 - Sam Allardyce

How can we ever achive any success if we keep chopping and changing every season? It's no coincidencethat that the top sides have a manager in place for a number of years (Ferguson, Wenger, Allardyce at bolton!)

:clap: You're absolutely right, good stuff. Consistency is the secret.

Aug 2004 - Bobby Robson

Aug 2006 - Glenn Roeder

Aug 2007 - Sam Allardyce

Sacking Souness and Roeder was the right thing to do, appointing them was the mistake.

Sven has bought in a load of expensive foreign players at City, and they're doing well, instant results.

However - and this is a cliche, but it is true - it is all very well them coming in to a new club at the start of the season, shirt sleeve weather, decent pitches, but let's see how they're doing at the Reebok or Middlesbrough in December, when it is colder than a witch's tit, pissing it down, or the pitch is rock hard.

Sven has bought in a load of expensive foreign players at City, and they're doing well, instant results.

However - and this is a cliche, but it is true - it is all very well them coming in to a new club at the start of the season, shirt sleeve weather, decent pitches, but let's see how they're doing at the Reebok or Middlesbrough in December, when it is colder than a witch's tit, pissing it down, or the pitch is rock hard.

Very good point, Plus every season there is normally a team who starts very well but then hits a bad run of games, Remember Charlton 2 seasons ago? I remember people raving about Murphy and tipping Charlton for a top 4 finish, Last season Pompey started off well but after their purple patch they were back to their old ways

Very good point, Plus every season there is normally a team who starts very well but then hits a bad run of games, Remember Charlton 2 seasons ago? I remember people raving about Murphy and tipping Charlton for a top 4 finish, Last season Pompey started off well but after their purple patch they were back to their old ways

Us last year. 13 or so matches unbeaten, then meltdown, then 10 matches unbeaten.

The lack of creativity problem is hardly being helped by the poor perfromances of Milner this season (grante, he's being played on the wrong side). His final ball has always been erratic but so far this term it's been hopeless. Unfortunately for him, he's our only creative outlet and when he plays poorly we then rely on the long ball from Geremi.

Agreed. Although apparently Milner can play on the left according to some.

Guest Jungle Barry

Aug 2004 - Bobby Robson

Aug 2006 - Glenn Roeder

Aug 2007 - Sam Allardyce

Sacking Souness and Roeder was the right thing to do, appointing them was the mistake.

I agree with you regarding wrong appointments but my initial point remains the same.

I agree with you regarding wrong appointments but my initial point remains the same.

I agree with your initial point, when you get the right man in you must give him a chance to get the job done without sacking him the first time something goes wrong.  Every new manager wants to build his own team and should be allowed to do that, otherwise we'll never get anywhere, we'll always be in a state of transition.  We’ll be forever buying and selling players because they will be constantly adapting to a style of play which they weren’t brought in to do and we’ll constantly lose money on players because they look bad in a formation which they can’t play in and were never brought in to play that way, I think.

Guest Jungle Barry

I agree with your initial point, when you get the right man in you must give him a chance to get the job done without sacking him the first time something goes wrong.  Every new manager wants to build his own team and should be allowed to do that, otherwise we'll never get anywhere, we'll always be in a state of transition.  Well be forever buying and selling players because they will be constantly adapting to a style of play which they werent brought in to do and well constantly lose money on players because they look bad in a formation which they cant play in and were never brought in to play that way, I think.

The classic "wait until it's my team" scenario. Which we seem to be having on a fairly regular basis these days

I wasn't aware that two players made a backbone particularly when they are both central defenders.

It's very hard to disagree that Fat Sam has been a huge disappointment so far. Nobody knows what he has been doing behid the scenes...could be a lot or it could be fuck-all and he's blowing smoke up our arses especially with gullible people like htt around who believe all kinds of shit. What is obvious is that after seven games he has shown him himself to be incapable of making positive changes to the team during the course of a game, leaves any obviuos changes until far too late and picked formations/players that clearly do not work.....either because the players don't know what's expected of them or they are not capable of playing in that position. Thev most glaring example is N'zogbia. He was hoplesss at LB on Saturday. Hopeless. If a 6 mill man is capable of sitting on the bench, he's capable of starting and if he isn't better at LB than N'zogbia he shouldn't be on the bench in the first place. Why can'd fat sam see that whern everybody else can? Stubborness perhaps, can't take the fact he's wrong?

As for right back, Beye went missing most of the game and doesn't look any better than what we've had so far. Completely lost and out of position for the first two goals.  People say fat sam has worked on the defence but IMO, it's still as shaky as last season for the usual reasons. The full backs are shite so the central defenders are pulled out of position and we are constantly chasing around in the midfield unable to push any teams back. And Sam doesn't seem to want to change much around by the looks of things. No class and a bunch of grafters but more importantly, Sam has not given any positive tactical direction or organisation to at least getting a team of grafters looking like a team of footballers. No balance to the team at all.

I said in the summer that we needed a player in the midfield who could do something with the ball once we had it and got slammed on this forum. Seems like people are actually opening their eyes now. Well, some people but some still have their head in the sand if not up their arses.

Not hard at all, I totally disagree that Sam has been a huge disappointment and I don't think he's that fat either.

Sam's got a huge rebuilding job on and I think he's done fantastically well in the transfer market, giving the squad a complete overhaul for about £10 million. Our defence has been the joke of the Premiership for as long as I care to remember and Sam's addressed that, and we've now got a decent bunch of defenders who will only get better with time. When you take into account the number of new players we've got I'm more than happy with the start we've made to the season.

I don't think anyone else could have done a better job than Sam and I find it incredible that some "supporters" are advocating his dismissal.

I can't check your posts from my phone but I remember you being regularly one of our harshest critics.

Yes i have critised performances but have never said Sam should be sacked and if you check my posts have said give him time all i have done is say when we have played badly

The 'Sack Big Sam' title was tongue in cheek if you read the intial post. If we can take away the hysteria of assuming people want the manager sacked after 7 games, we might actually be able to discuss the football on it's merits.

I suppose there are going to be people who didn't really want Allardyce as manager who will be quick to shout for him to be sacked early on given the lack of quality in some of the performances. There has been a definite lack of quality but sacking Allardyce this early would be daft. This isn't at all similar to the Souness situation where it was clear to some people very early on that Souness should go. I remember some apologists claiming Souness couldn't be sacked because the club would be a laughing stock for sacking someone after just a couple of months, my response was that Souness would turn us into relegation fodder and that's how we'd become a laughing stock. I wanted Souness out early because he was clearly shite but this isn't the same with Allardyce, even though he wouldn't have been my choice as manager I don't think he's crap. Yes, I'm in the group who would rather the club had gone for someone else, but the fact of the matter is that it will take time and I think he's a manager who may do the business if he's backed properly. My head isn't in the sand, I do see signs that give cause for concern, such as the messing about between 4-4-2 and 4-3-3, the selection of Smith in midfield where he's ineffective, the selection of Ameobi when I'd even select Harper as a striker ahead of the donkey.

I'll be very interested to see the selection when all key players are fit. Souness flunked it when he couldn't select one of Shearer/Kluivert to partner Bellamy, instead going for an unbalanced side. Making the big decisions is an important indicator for me, so we'll see.

I suppose there are going to be people who didn't really want Allardyce as manager who will be quick to shout for him to be sacked early on given the lack of quality in some of the performances. There has been a definite lack of quality but sacking Allardyce this early would be daft. This isn't at all similar to the Souness situation where it was clear to some people very early on that Souness should go. I remember some apologists claiming Souness couldn't be sacked because the club would be a laughing stock for sacking someone after just a couple of months, my response was that Souness would turn us into relegation fodder and that's how we'd become a laughing stock. I wanted Souness out early because he was clearly shite but this isn't the same with Allardyce, even though he wouldn't have been my choice as manager I don't think he's crap. Yes, I'm in the group who would rather the club had gone for someone else, but the fact of the matter is that it will take time and I think he's a manager who may do the business if he's backed properly. My head isn't in the sand, I do see signs that give cause for concern, such as the messing about between 4-4-2 and 4-3-3, the selection of Smith in midfield where he's ineffective, the selection of Ameobi when I'd even select Harper as a striker ahead of the donkey.

I'll be very interested to see the selection when all key players are fit. Souness flunked it when he couldn't select one of Shearer/Kluivert to partner Bellamy, instead going for an unbalanced side. Making the big decisions is an important indicator for me, so we'll see.

Can he make the big decisions when it comes down to selecting players for big games when he has a full squad? I think yes. Will he get it right? Not so sure for now but he isnt doing too bad considering.

Quality post btw.

• 2 weeks later...