Martins (again)

Guest Knightrider

Guest Knightrider

Did anyone else think he had his best game for us since he joined, today? I thought he played well myself, in an unselfish way. Made some excellent runs down both channels and always made himself available. His control and movement was much better too and the goal, superb finish. Now I'm not wanting to open up old wounds or anything as IO think we all know where we stand on him and his value to the team whether it be in the first-team or as a squad player, but I do feel his performance deserves some comment and one of these  :clap: in light of recent performances in front of goal and loss of confidence

One thing that can't be argued, he has a good attitude.

He finished very tidily for the goal after a really good run. Overall a good performance from him. It was actually the type of performance you would see an accomplished striker put in. Worked hard, contributed more to the team that just the goal and never stopped trying. Also seems to have curb his angrier moments - you know, the moments where his face is about to explode because he's just lost control of the ball :lol:

Guest jamesmartinsmith

He has so much potential.

Although, he needs the confidence he had last season. Playing him in position won't do him any harm.

I really think the best thing we can do with Martins is upset him by not playing him and keep him on the bench for an over paid has been crock then sell him in the winter window for a cut price.

Anyone else agree? Well SA does.

It wasn't his best game for us by a long way but he was our best player out there today.

If we're going to continue with this 4-3-3 formation I'd like to see Martins to the right and N'Zogbia to the left of Viduka.

Fuk me you mad bastard. That would mean playing the £6m LB we just bought.

Would be stupid to let him start a EPL game before he's 30 FFS.

Guest Knightrider

He has definately had better, Blackburn away, Watford at home and AZ Alkmaar last year.

Also Boro away last year, although we didnt win he tore them apart.

I don't think he has, he was more electric in those games if that's what you mean, which I agree. Today he lead the line well and had a good game all-round though which I'm not sure he's done in the past. He's a frustrating player alright and it is these kind of performances that make a mockery of some of his poor moments.

It wasn't his best game for us by a long way but he was our best player out there today.

If we're going to continue with this 4-3-3 formation I'd like to see Martins to the right and N'Zogbia to the left of Viduka.

Perhaps he does need a few more months to settle, we'll try that at the beginning of the 2009/10 season if Viduka hasn't retired by then.

Perhaps he does need a few more months to settle, we'll try that at the beginning of the 2009/10 season if Viduka hasn't retired by then.

Maybe we should loan him out to a league nothing like our own, that might help. If no one wants to pay for him we'll just release him for free.

Sounds canny.

Guest Knightrider

Agreed there, although because I don't think he's best suited to that kind of system, he'd need replacing long term, as would Viduka. Ideally speaking.

Apart from his goal, I actually thought he produced little. He wasted a good opportunity in the second half with a very poor shot into the side netting. You don't mind a miss if it's a reasonable attempt, but he was well wide. His link up play wasn't great.

I mean, we now know what we'll get from him, so I don't really want to complain. He's quick and strong and that will sometimes enable him to score from a not very promising situation. Most of the time though, his ball control is poor and he doesn't read the game well.

Agreed there, although because I don't think he's best suited to that kind of system, he'd need replacing long term, as would Viduka. Ideally speaking.

I'm not sure about that, Anelka took a dozen or so games to get the hang of playing that way and up until then he came in for all sorts of criticism.

Martins has impressed me playing out there without being excellent, after seeing his crosses for Owen and N'Zogbia in recent games I can't see any reason why he can't keep it up.

I really think the best thing we can do with Martins is upset him by not playing him and keep him on the bench for an over paid has been crock then sell him in the winter window for a cut price.

Anyone else agree? Well SA does.

;D

Spotton.

Very good overall game indeed...

However that shot he blasted wide in the second half was terrible. How can he get shots like that supposedly on his stronger foot so far off target from such close range? :(

Apart from his goal, I actually thought he produced little. He wasted a good opportunity in the second half with a very poor shot into the side netting. You don't mind a miss if it's a reasonable attempt, but he was well wide. His link up play wasn't great.

I mean, we now know what we'll get from him, so I don't really want to complain. He's quick and strong and that will sometimes enable him to score from a not very promising situation. Most of the time though, his ball control is poor and he doesn't read the game well.

I think the touch thing is a little unfair now as i think he has improved it quite alot, its not like he miscontrols a lot compared to other players, now its nowhere near as good as vidukas but its a lot better this season than last season. It looks like he has worked alot harder over the summer to improve many things and i think he deserves praise for what he has done.

Will still take all of that with a 17 goal return and a potential to improve as he grows.

Will still take all of that with a 17 goal return and a potential to improve as he grows.

He's certainly been a better player for us than Owen has