We were close to signing Elano...

Guest hindu times

Guest hindu times

... but the delay of the Dyer transfer scuppered the deal, according to Anal, who claims according to Sam.

The Dyer transfer hit problems the day after Elano signed for Man City, if the deals were dependant on each other you'd expect the Dyer transfer problems to have come before Elano went to Manchester.  I'm not sure that the timing really backs up what Oliver is saying.

Elano signed on 2nd August, the Dyer to West Ham deal hit problems on 3rd of August, I think.

The Dyer transfer hit problems the day after Elano signed for Man City, if the deals were dependant on each other you'd expect the Dyer transfer problems to have come before Elano went to Manchester.  I'm not sure that the timing really backs up what Oliver is saying.

Elano signed on 2nd August, the Dyer to West Ham deal hit problems on 3rd of August, I think.

we never really know as sometimes talks have been ongoing for weeks and by the time we find out it seems like it's fresh news.

i've as much reason to believe it as disbelieve it

we never really know as sometimes talks have been ongoing for weeks and by the time we find out it seems like it's fresh news.

The Dyer deal falling through at that time didn't stop us from signing Alan Smith the same day.

The Dyer deal falling through at that time didn't stop us from signing Alan Smith the same day.

part of what i mean,we never really know what is going on,we,the fans, found out the dyer deal hit problems on 3rd august.

Exactly.

Bullshit I reckon.

Elano signs for another club and suddenly there are problems about Dyer leaving? They sound connected to me.

The deals wont have been linked but if he was a target and we miss out you're going to think twice about letting the only player like that at the club go.

Baggio, dont worry about this as it still means that he went from thinking about Elano to signing Smith which is canny depressing.

Elano signs for another club and suddenly there are problems about Dyer leaving? They sound connected to me.

The deals wont have been linked but if he was a target and we miss out you're going to think twice about letting the only player like that at the club go.

Baggio, dont worry about this as it still means that he went from thinking about Elano to signing Smith which is canny depressing.

But Alan Oliver is trying to say that the delay in the Dyer deal meant we couldn't sign Elano, which is the opposite scenario to what you're giving.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Dont worry Big Sam knows a good playmaker when he sees one. JJ, Campo, Hierro, Djorkaeff. His priorities this season was to make us harder to beat. It will take time but i believe we have the personel to do it.

Remember it is a lot more difficult to get a defense to work together than a midfield or a forward line. Richards and Dunne have had a season to do it!

But Alan Oliver is trying to say that the delay in the Dyer deal meant we couldn't sign Elano, which is the opposite scenario to what you're giving.

I'm probably right and Anal is probably wrong tbh.

It's a decent kick in the teeth for those who suggested that Sam didn't look for the right players.

I don't understand this mentality.

I think not having the right players is a decent kick in the teeth for all of us.

on second thoughts anyone know the timing of the elano and the first collapse of the dyer transfer? do they coincide? because i thought sven snapped up elano right at the start of he reign.

on second thoughts anyone know the timing of the elano and the first collapse of the dyer transfer? do they coincide? because i thought sven snapped up elano right at the start of he reign.

Read post #5 in this thread.

Its always a big risk going for a foreign 'flair' player, its usually a toss-up whether they can cut it in the premier league, and sam being sack-a-phobic (who can blame him, look at the cunts on the 'fire sam' thread) he decided to play it safe, build the foundations.

lol lat this on the elano wiki page:

He has 24 caps with the Brazilian national team, the first one in January, 2004. He scored his first two international goals in the 2006 friendly 3-0 win against Argentina on 3 September. In 2007 Elano participated in the Copa America, playing four games for Brazil, including the final against Argentina, during which he assisted a goal before being subbed due to injury. PS he is brilliantly amazingly good