Martins: I can't let Shearer down

Dokko

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/2007/10/06/martins-i-can-t-let-shearer-down-89520-19906286/

Obafemi Martins was packing a few bags at Newcastle yesterday, after Sam Allardyce told him he doesn't get as many goals as he should.

But Martins wasn't reaching for his suitcases to quit the Toon in a huff, he was at ASDA in Gateshead's MetroCentre helping shoppers bag up their food to raise cash for a Meningitis charity.

Martins is facing a fight for his place this weekend against Everton, because strike rival Michael Owen is ready for another comeback. But the man who could become the main victim of Owen's return has insisted he is ready to battle for his future rather than quit St James' Park.

Allardyce is keeping the £10million Nigerian star on the edge, saying: "The bottom line is that he doesn't score as many goals as he should."

Advertisement

Owen and Martins are thought to be fighting for one place because Allardyce likes a big man up front, in the shape of Mark Viduka.

Martins, who has bagged 21 goals in 48 starts for United, admits he needs to be playing regularly. He said: "When I came here I was offered the No.9 shirt.

"I got it from Alan Shearer when he retired. He tells me to score lots of goals, and I cannot let him or the shirt he gave me down and I have to deserve my place.

"I don't feel like it is a competition between Michael Owen and me. The important thing is for me to play football.

"I really want to play. As a footballer you are remembered for playing football not picking up your wages or sitting on the bench.

"Michael is getting fit again which is good for the club. Together we can push each other.

"I left Inter Milan because I was on the bench too much and I came here to play. I will do my best to stay in the team.

"People don't understand that Michael Owen and I CAN play together. "We have done it in training. I am not the manager but I reckon we can have a partnership even though we are both little and quick.

"The manager says I can score more and he is right. I get many opportunities and I have to put more away. I feel I have got more to offer, but it is not easy to score when you have big defenders chasing you down and doing everything to stop me."

But Martins insisted he has settled on Tyneside, adding: "The fans really love me which is great. I have lots of Geordie friends but they told me to learn English first rather than Geordie words.

"I like the city and my family are settled here. My brothers and sisters are here and they've been living with me since last year. That helps."

As he was mobbed by fans at ASDA, Martins admitted: "My brothers and my mum often do my food shopping so bag packing is difficult for me!"

Allardyce is keeping the £10million Nigerian star on the edge, saying: "The bottom line is that he doesn't score as many goals as he should."

Sam's lost his marbles... His goals and assists per minute played has been pretty good so far this season,plus he adds much more to the team in terms of movement and being a thread on the counter. I can't believe Oba is helt in such low esteem by Allardyce..

Guest sahara

Oba has done fine so far really, sure he should of had one against West Ham and another against Arsenal but other than that he's been good!

Sam's lost his marbles... His goals and assists per minute played has been pretty good so far this season,plus he adds much more to the team in terms of movement and being a thread on the counter. I can't believe Oba is helt in such low esteem by Allardyce..

Just keeping the pressure up on him. Probably got the Club Spiritualist to communicate with Freud and find out what Martins needs.

Smith, clearly frustrated at not managing to bag anything all afternoon, flings himself into a Crunch Nut Cornflakes display and receives a stern warning from the general manager. 

Bad day all round as Babayaro pulls up with a hamstring injury after trying to avoid the collector for 'disabled children' at the front door.

One on looker described it as 'unbelievable' as they'd never even seen a Babayaro in the flesh before.

That's not low esteem, it's realistic.  He should score more, he misses chances.  Sam's not saying he's crap, he's trying to drive him

He has done very well but I think its fair to say he could/should have scored more with a couple of the chances he has had. Although tbf a couple he has scored he had no right to put away.

:idiot2:

You'd prefer Sam to say he's made it?

You lot seem to think Oba's our only striker who misses chances occasionally. I seem to remember Owen missing a few sitters before he got injured and it was put down to not being match fit. The fact is every striker misses chances. The way I see it Oba currently is our most effective striker. He may sometimes fail to do the easy thing, but he's also capable to pull of the impossible and that's just the kind of striker he is. Ultimately, all that counts is how many he creates and scores, and nobody in our team has done better for us so far, even though Sam has even preferred to play Shola ahead of Oba! It would be wrong in my opinion to not give Oba the confidence he needs and a run of games to prove himself. From this article it looks like Owen´s place in the team is cemented even though he´s not reached match fitness yet this season and has not provided what we look for in the support striker role. Sam is very careful not to bring back other players such as Enrique and Emre back before they´re 100% match fit, so what makes this situation different, especially when we have got somebody like Oba around with huge potential and a good return so far..?

You lot seem to think Oba's our only striker who misses chances occasionally. I seem to remember Owen missing a few sitters before he got injured and it was put down to not being match fit. The fact is every striker misses chances. The way I see it Oba currently is our most effective striker. He may sometimes fail to do the easy thing, but he's also capable to pull of the impossible and that's just the kind of striker he is. Ultimately, all that counts is how many he creates and scores, and nobody in our team has done better for us so far, even though Sam has even preferred to play Shola ahead of Oba! It would be wrong in my opinion to not give Oba the confidence he needs and a run of games to prove himself. From this article it looks like Owen´s place in the team is cemented even though he´s not reached match fitness yet this season and has not provided what we look for in the support striker role. Sam is very careful not to bring back other players such as Enrique and Emre back before they´re 100% match fit, so what makes this situation different, especially when we have got somebody like Oba around with huge potential and a good return so far..?

Way to read a lot into not a lot.

Guest Ridzuan

Well as long as he continues to perform his best and keep scoring goals,nobody will be disappointed with him and I think Big Al is a forgiving person.

That´s great.. How do you interpret this statement if you don´t mind me asking, especially taking into consideration that Oba has been benched in favour of an unfit Owen and Shola, whom it is hard to even qualify as a professional footballer..?

I´ll tell you how I´d interpret it if I was Martins. I´d be talking to my agent to find out if Arsenal were still interested in January. Great man management otherwise by Mr Allardyce..

That´s great.. How do you interpret this statement if you don´t mind me asking, especially taking into consideration that Oba has been benched in favour of an unfit Owen and Shola, whom it is hard to even qualify as a professional footballer..?

I´ll tell you how I´d interpret it if I was Martins. I´d be talking to my agent to find out if Arsenal were still interested in January. Great man management otherwise by Mr Allardyce..

Thank god you aren't a talented player currently plying your trade at Newcastle then.

Its not the first time a manager has "challenged" a player in this way, thankfully Martins has seen it for what it is and understands it.

If Martins was starting every game and missing opportunities then i could understand SA throwing down a challenge to him.

Current situation, SA is to blame as much as anyone for him missing shots.

If Martins was starting every game and missing opportunities then i could understand SA throwing down a challenge to him.

Current situation, SA is to blame as much as anyone for him missing shots.

Allardyce is responsible for him missing open nets against West Ham and Arsenal? ???

Guest Synthespian

No first touch, no movement, blah blah blah.

Huh?  :idiot2:  :shifty:

I thought his first touch (and second ;)) for the goal against Man City was outstanding!