Alan Smith

Dave

dunno if this has been mentioned but has Alan Smith turned into our new " luque" most unliked/debated player

blueyes.gif

And all of the people who hated Luque are the one's supporting Smith. mackems.gif mackems.gif mackems.gif

No, I had no time for Luque from day 1.  And I was right in that respect too.

And Baggio has had no time for Smith from day one. Let's see eh? ;)

Faggio doesn't have a record of getting things right though.

Some people sussed out Luque very early as being a player with a very bad attitude who didn't want to play for the club. It wasn't difficult to see that he was a waster and wouldn't make it here.

In the case of Smith it's a bit more difficult. When he's been used as a striker off and on he's looked a decent player at other clubs, he's not over the hill so there's no reason why he can't do a decent job here if he's played to his strengths. It's about square pegs in round holes again. Something that people clearly recognised last weekend regarding the useless Milner and Zog but for some reason completely ignore it when it comes to Smith.  :idiot2:

Despite it demonstrating an enormous ignorance of football I understand the reasons why some people want to judge Smith as a midfielder though, for some reason they just don't like him. What these people can't criticise him for though is his desire to pull on the shirt and play for the club. Unlike Luque.

dunno if this has been mentioned but has Alan Smith turned into our new " luque" most unliked/debated player

blueyes.gif

And all of the people who hated Luque are the one's supporting Smith. mackems.gif mackems.gif mackems.gif

No, I had no time for Luque from day 1.  And I was right in that respect too.

And Baggio has had no time for Smith from day one. Let's see eh? ;)

Faggio doesn't have a record of getting things right though.

Some people sussed out Luque very early as being a player with a very bad attitude who didn't want to play for the club. It wasn't difficult to see that he was a waster and wouldn't make it here.

In the case of Smith it's a bit more difficult. When he's been used as a striker off and on he's looked a decent player at other clubs, he's not over the hill so there's no reason why he can't do a decent job here if he's played to his strengths. It's aboout square pegs in square holes again. Something that people clearly recognised last weekend regarding the useless Milner and Zog but for some reason completely ignore it when it comes to Smith.  :idiot2:

Despite it demonstrating an enormous ignorance of football I understand the reasons why some people want to judge Smith as a midfielder though, for some reason they just don't like him. What these people can't criticise him for though is his desire to pull on the shirt and play for the club. Unlike Luque.

its about time some people realised that "having talent" [ as they call it ] isn't really enough. There have been enough examples at Newcastle that should show them by now that dedication, will to win, desire, attitude, character are all just as vitally important. To be honest, anyone who seriously considers Dyer to be worth keeping at this club in any shape or form, having been here for 8 years and seriously underachieved, needs help. One day they may learn something.

Even more so is people who just decide they don't like someone, and deem it to mean they can never do anything right and never will  mackems.gif

Is your brother going up your mum's to watch football with you on Saturday, Steve? You, HTL and mum cuddled up on the sofa like the good old days. mackems.gif

what a childish thing to say, Matthew

Parker had plenty of desire, attitude, dedication, will to win etc... How comes he got so much stick?

Well, so have I. I'm not surprised you don't get it, a bit like Matthew

Don't get what?

Alan Smith doesn't have any more ability than Parker imo, both are very similar just one plays (or should) a little further forward.

See what I mean.

Personally, I think Alan Smith is much more valuable to the club than Parker, but Parker is a product of the manager who "would rid the club of the cancer and lets stick by him because thats what Alex Ferguson did and look at him now" brigade.

Of which you were one, if I remember correctly.

I hope you aren't defending Kieron Dyer, like Matthew is, having had 8 years to prove his worth to the club  mackems.gif

I do have a point tbh. Parker was also often played in a position that didn't suit him (ok the correct part of the pitch but the whole set up with Emre simply didn't work and brought the worst out in both of them).

Parker and Smith are both average players with a lot of desire and aggression. Both don't really excel in any area of the position they play, both will probably end a season with twice as many bookings as goals or assists.

Don't get what?

Alan Smith doesn't have any more ability than Parker imo, both are very similar just one plays (or should) a little further forward.

See what I mean.

Personally, I think Alan Smith is much more valuable to the club than Parker, but Parker is a product of the manager who "would rid the club of the cancer and lets stick by him because thats what Alex Ferguson did and look at him now" brigade.

I hope you aren't defending Kieron Dyer, like Matthew is, having had 8 years to prove his worth to the club  mackems.gif

Same old NE5, going down the "if I remember correctly" and "I hope you aren't" without any REAL substance in the post. I don't think Smith is any more valuable than Parker, we sold Parker and replaced him with a better player (imo) but a bigger liability in Barton and we could have gotten a better player than Smith for that £6m.

I do have a point tbh. Parker was also often played in a position that didn't suit him (ok the correct part of the pitch but the whole set up with Emre simply didn't work and brought the worst out in both of them).

Parker and Smith are both average players with a lot of desire and aggression. Both don't really excel in any area of the position they play, both will probably end a season with twice as many bookings as goals or assists.

I'll give you a chance here, as I think you are OK.  Dyer [and Luque] are players with "ability" but didn't show it, didn't want to show it, and as such are a complete waste of money. You should start judging players by what they actually do - or even try to do - rather than players who contribute nothing, and never look like they ever will. A player with a smaller amount of technical ability who has 10 good games a season, gives his all for another 20, is far better than a player who plays very well for 3 games and disappears into a hole in the ground for 30.

It's also easy to notice players who only perform in home games too, a common fault. Like Emre, another player who Matthew likes, because he probably hasn't seen many away games in his time and if thats the case, can't differentiate.

I couldn't disagree more, Jon. Parker was used in his strongest position at this club. He had every chance, he just wasn't good enough and dragged everybody down with him.

By the way, what I've said about Smith is that I think he has the attributes to be a decent striker if he's used consistently in that role and given a run. At the same time we do need some creativity in the team for any of the strikers to do the business, so I'm not rushing into judgements about Smith. You haven't said it here, but your emphasis on Smith being average seems to point to the possibility you think I've said he's better than that. I haven't and I just want to be clear about that.  I've also said I may be proven wrong if he gets that run and doesn't do the business. I'm not sure what people see so peculiar about my position on this.

I hope people aren't going to start making stuff up again...

I don't see what that has to do with Parker who was constantly slated. He was a player who would have 10 good games and 20 where he would give his all but that wasn't enough obviously. Now if there was a huge gulf in ability between Parker and Smith it would be quite clear but as there isn't I don't see why one is slated and the other one defended.

Don't get what?

See what I mean.

Same old NE5, going down the "if I remember correctly" and "I hope you aren't" without any REAL substance in the post. I don't think Smith is any more valuable than Parker, we sold Parker and replaced him with a better player (imo) but a bigger liability in Barton and we could have gotten a better player than Smith for that £6m.

I do think Smith is more valuable than Parker, isn't that the substance you are looking for ? We maybe could have got a better player for 6m than Smith, but we got Smith !!!!!  We could have got better players than Boumsong and Luque for 17m quid too, but it seems the vast majority of people - including you - frothed at the mouth with excitement at having brought these overpriced crap foreigners to the club, just because they were foreigners that you've watched on youtube.

Not only that, but you backed the manager who bought them both to do an Alex Ferguson just because he got rid of the "cancer". I see you don't comment on that with any sort of substance  mackems.gif

spot on, Gejon. and parker was used as an attacking midfielder/box-to-box when he was more obviously a defensive midfielder so he wasn't really played in his proper position a lot of the time. i seem to remember under souness when he played as DM his stock was a lot higher. still a mediocre player, just like Smith. if anything parker is a better midfielder than smith is a striker, battling qualities will at least make some impact in certain midfield roles, up front they are a lot less value.

I couldn't disagree more, Jon. Parker was used in his strongest position at this club. He had every chance, he just wasn't good enough and dragged everybody down with him.

By the way, what I've said about Smith is that I think he has the attributes to be a decent striker if he's used consistently in that role and given a run. At the same time we do need some creativity in the team for any of the strikers to do the business, so I'm not rushing into judgements about Smith. You haven't said it here, but your emphasis on Smith being average seems to point to the possibility you think I've said he's better than that. I haven't and I just want to be clear about that.  I've also said I may be proven wrong if he gets that run and doesn't do the business. I'm not sure what people see so peculiar about my position on this.

I hope people aren't going to start making stuff up again...

I have to disagree about Parker being used in his strongest position, most of the time it seemed like he and Emre would not have a set position so they would swap roles during the match which never worked. The rest of the time Emre was being played in a holding role which really didn't suit him and the partnership failed.

Don't get what?

See what I mean.

Jon, the idea we could have signed a better player for £6m could be used with almost every transfer. I think we could have signed a better player than Barton, we could have signed a better player than lots of players signed by the club over the years. When Keegan signed Asprilla he could have signed Zola. When Robson signed Cort he apparently could have signed Gudthingy. This definitely isn't the way to judge a player, so keeping the thing in context it's just not relevant.

I hope Smith and the £6m price tag isn't going to be this seasons equivalent of the money spent on Duff could have been better spent on a fullback monologue.

spot on, Gejon. and parker was used as an attacking midfielder/box-to-box when he was more obviously a defensive midfielder so he wasn't really played in his proper position a lot of the time. i seem to remember under souness when he played as DM his stock was a lot higher. still a mediocre player, just like Smith. if anything parker is a better midfielder than smith is a striker, battling qualities will at least make some impact in certain midfield roles, up front they are a lot less value.

Ok Johnny, you have your view. Nice to see people can disagree like adults.  The point really is that all managers have their own ideas, but Parker played in midfield [where he is best] and Smith has played mostly in midfield [when he should be playing up front].

I've got a question for you though. Do you think Smith is a better forward than Ameobi, and if so, do you think it justifies now showing Ameobi the door with Smith in the club ?

Don't get what?

See what I mean.

I do think Smith is more valuable than Parker, isn't that the substance you are looking for ? We maybe could have got a better player for 6m than Smith, but we got Smith !!!!!  We could have got better players than Boumsong and Luque for 17m quid too, but it seems the vast majority of people - including you - frothed at the mouth with excitement at having brought these overpriced crap foreigners to the club, just because they were foreigners that you've watched on youtube.

Not only that, but you backed the manager who bought them both to do an Alex Ferguson just because he got rid of the "cancer". I see you don't comment on that with any sort of substance  mackems.gif

Souness was far from my first choice but I will admit I did look for the positives like I do with everything and SBR had lost the dressing room towards the end of his time here. Its the same as Roeder, far away from being my choice but I looked for the positives and hoped he would do well.

I am sure you won't find many comments about Luque from me although I do admit I probably was quite excited about us signing this relatively unknown but highly rated player. As for Boumsong it was the same thing, didn't know all that much about him but he was getting in the France squad, had a lot of pace, seemed an intelligent lad and I had high hopes. Shame neither worked out but I think you will struggle to find any comments from me claiming to know all about them when we signed them.

That said it probably would have been easier for me not to give an honest answer, claim I was always against the players and manager mentioned then accuse people of editing my posts if you found anything I may have said positive about them ;)