Alan Smith

Dave

Smith is goodish up top linking the midfield with the attack, but no where else imo. On Sat It didn't help his cause that Sam plays wingers on the wrong sides and misses out Emre.  Also Barton and Butt are overrun/ineffective in the center. 

2 years since Smith scored in the Prem and he gets a start for us after shelling out £6m on him....

shocking that, fancy not scoring a goal when you've got a broken leg

2 years since Smith scored in the Prem and he gets a start for us after shelling out £6m on him....

shocking that, fancy not scoring a goal when you've got a broken leg

kaka's never scored in the prem so any team going after him would be mad

Regardless of how little he has played recently it's one goal in his last 47 games.

oh dear. I remember you saying that this Kezman bloke would be an absolute sensation because he scored more goals than Craig Bellamy.

You really do think its all about championship manager type statistics don't you ?

I expect you would rather have Luque because he scored 3 or 4  :lol:

Regardless of how little he has played recently it's one goal in his last 47 games.

oh dear. I remember you saying that this Kezman bloke would be an absolute sensation because he scored more goals than Craig Bellamy.

You really do think its all about championship manager type statistics don't you ?

I wanted Kezman back in 2005, it had feck all to do with Bellamy though.

What's that got to with Smith's goalscoring record though?

I don't play Football Manager either.

Do you not find it slightly concerning that Smith simply doesn't provide a goal threat? At least with Bellamy he made chances for himself and then usually screwed it up in front of goal.

His goalscoring record wouldn't be that problematic if he was some sort of creative genius, but he isn't.

Do you not find it slightly concerning that Smith simply doesn't provide a goal threat? At least with Bellamy he made chances for himself and then usually screwed it up in front of goal.

His goalscoring record wouldn't be that problematic if he was some sort of creative genius, but he isn't.

shows what crap criteria you use when making judgements, if you use a statistic and can't look at the footballer.

As Smith has played up front for Manu, Leeds in the CL, and England, and you are "concerned" this is laughable. And your daft comments about Bellamy even more so. 5 years since we played in the Champions League and we still haven't finished as high in the league or replaced him adequately. "Screwed it up in front of goal" .........  screwed what up in front of goal ? what a load of bollocks, you like your myths don't you.

What do you call a creative genius BTW, not someone who partnered Alan Shearer perfectly and prolonged his career by at least 2 years, obviously not. hoho.

shows what crap criteria you use when making judgements, if you use a statistic and can't look at the footballer.

As Smith has played up front for Manu, Leeds in the CL, and England, and you are "concerned" this is laughable. And your daft comments about Bellamy even more so. 5 years since we played in the Champions League and we still haven't finished as high in the league or replaced him adequately. "Screwed it up in front of goal" .........  screwed what up in front of goal ? what a load of bollocks, you like your myths don't you.

What do you call a creative genius BTW, not someone who partnered Alan Shearer perfectly and prolonged his career by at least 2 years, obviously not. hoho.

I was referring to Smith when I said he wasn't a creative genius. Bellamy offered far more, but as for his finishing, can you not remember how many times Bellamy missed simple chances?

Just because Smith has played for some of the biggest teams doesn't mean anything when he hasn't been doing to business on the pitch for the past 3 years!

I was referring to Smith when I said he wasn't a creative genius. Bellamy offered far more, but as for his finishing, can you not remember how many times Bellamy missed simple chances?

Just because Smith has played for some of the biggest teams doesn't mean anything when he hasn't been doing to business on the pitch for the past 3 years!

no, I don't remember Craig Bellamy missing loads of simple chances. I've seen many people say this, but its complete bollocks. He actually scored about half his goals from close in and in one-on-one situations. Two goals against the mackems, a fair few in europe including Feyenoord and Valarenga, home to Everton, away to Palace, away to Leeds, home to West Brom.....and I've not even thought about it yet.

BTW, most players miss simple chances, always have and always will.

And as I said before, if you really are going to harp on about Smith for the last 3 years, you should start by looking at how many games he missed with a broken leg, and how many games he played in midfield for us as well as manure.

Nobody is saying he is prolific, including me, he needs a prolific player next to him, he's a support striker, like Craig Bellamy, but you don't see this because you don't understand partnerships in football.

dunno if this has been mentioned but has Alan Smith turned into our new " luque" most unliked/debated player

blueyes.gif

And all of the people who hated Luque are the one's supporting Smith. mackems.gif mackems.gif mackems.gif

no, I don't remember Craig Bellamy missing loads of simple chances. I've seen many people say this, but its complete bollocks. He actually scored about half his goals from close in and in one-on-one situations. Two goals against the mackems, a fair few in europe including Feyenoord and Valarenga, home to Everton, away to Palace, away to Leeds, home to West Brom.....and I've not even thought about it yet.

And as I said before, if you really are going to harp on about Smith for the last 3 years, you should start by looking at how many games he missed with a broken leg, and how many games he played in midfield for us as well as manure.

Nobody is saying he is prolific, including me, he needs a prolific player next to him, he's a support striker, like Craig Bellamy, but you don't see this because you don't understand partnerships in football.

Do you think very probable that an Owen-Smith partnership will very successful then?

I think we should bring it to an end now, we're never going to agree.

dunno if this has been mentioned but has Alan Smith turned into our new " luque" most unliked/debated player

blueyes.gif

And all of the people who hated Luque are the one's supporting Smith. mackems.gif mackems.gif mackems.gif

I guess smith has been brought in for a lower fee and maybe we all have just less expectations than we put on luque. I mean when he was signed I remember mates saying "wow you got him he is the 3 most popular striker in spain" obviously had a stinker from day one where as when smith was signed alot were saying he was no direct replacement for anyone as he wasn't an out an out striker any more and certainly manu failed in their attempt to make him the new roy keane (although the mullet stype mow hawk was a good attempt to look very hard)

blueyes.gif

no problem with fans giving our players the benefit of the doubt and getting behind them, after all we are supporters. personally i'm not so generous and would rather not see talentless hacks like smith or milner in the side, and would prefer talented players even if they happen to be dickheads like dyer, bellamy and robert, or young & rough round the edges like martins or n'zogbia.

Regarding Smith, 50% of the time he'll be useless as he will end up plugging gaps in midfield. the rest of the time, in his so-called proper position, he won't be pulling up any trees. He may be a support striker but number 10s should ideally still pop up with goals, smith will never get into double figures unlike Bellamy, Viduka or Beardsley who were also support strikers. if he is getting far fewer goals than those players, he should be doing more than them in general play, whereas his all round game can't touch those players, it's a joke even talking about Smith in the same breath as Beardsley. Unlike Bellamy he won't provide any of the threat you get with pace, unlike Viduka or Beardsley he won't provide audacious skill or vision. Just working hard doesn't cut it at this level, and most of his peers also work just as hard without diving into stupid tackles. Bellamy and Anelka to name two support strikers for instance work hard and run all day but do it intelligently. Smith will always do a workmanlike job as he is fairly strong, mobile and has an ok touch, but he'll do no more. he just doesn't have anything to his game that makes him stand out.

NE5 i'm suprised youre giving Smith so much time, in the past you've been amongst the first to make judgements on players, Luque and Boumsong for instance! i dont see much different with smith tbh.

blueyes.gif

I guess smith has been brought in for a lower fee and maybe we all have just less expectations than we put on luque. I mean when he was signed I remember mates saying "wow you got him he is the 3 most popular striker in spain" obviously had a stinker from day one where as when smith was signed alot were saying he was no direct replacement for anyone as he wasn't an out an out striker any more and certainly manu failed in their attempt to make him the new roy keane (although the mullet stype mow hawk was a good attempt to look very hard)

Luque put a hell of a ball in on day 1 tbf Still not suited to this league.

blueyes.gif

Luque put a hell of a ball in on day 1 tbf Still not suited to this league.

I am having a viana after you said that

Smith seems to be another one of these players who step down to a poorer side and they're exposed for what they are. You can imagine if the likes of O'Shea and Fletcher came here they would look poorer because they'd be under more pressure, bigger fishes in a smaller pond. They'd be in the side every week and expected to pull their finger out, they wouldn't be part of a side which dominates the opposition every week, and would find themselves chasing the ball and played into trouble a lot more often. I never thought he looked anything special at Leeds but he did have some good games for Man Utd and their fans seemed to have some time for him. He's dropped down a level though and more is expected of him here and he just looks decidedly average.

It's a shame we paid a decent-sized fee for him because he's bound to be on big wages when he really should just be a handy squad player. The problem is his ego is probably bigger than that, he didn't swap Man Utd's bench just to sit on ours, and if he is picking up big wages he's a drain on resources. When you consider that other players will expect parity then it presents another problem. From what we've seen so far I think he'll prove to be a slightly regrettable signing, but he'll do a job now and again. He does have some ability, he's not just here to make up the numbers like Ramage, but without any defined role in the team he should be considered a utility player.

blueyes.gif

No, I had no time for Luque from day 1.  And I was right in that respect too.

I think we should bring it to an end now, we're never going to agree.

what a shame you can't provide some facts to back up your statement.

blueyes.gif

And Baggio has had no time for Smith from day one. Let's see eh? ;)

blueyes.gif

And Baggio has had no time for Smith from day one. Let's see eh? ;)

O0