Alan Smith

Dave

Guest Knightrider

Smith was awful yesterday mind, followed by a few others...

Heard a few others say he had one of his better games for us yesterday.

Did nowt for me, gave little protection or support of the strikers, ran about a lot and tried to muscle his way through the opposition, but he was basically a bystander for large parts. Needs to be used as a striker or not at all, now that Emre and Barton are fit.

Struggle to see how people can say that. I'm not a fan of Smith (i was fairly optimistic earlier on like), but he was assigned to a specific role yesterday and pulled it off pretty much flawlessly, really - especially in the first half. He was very good in the air. He didn't spread the ball too well, but the entire midfield was guilty of that; little passes that went nowhere and were ultimately intercepted.

To criticise him for not supporting the strikers is fairly harsh aswell, given that he was as deep as you can get without actually being a defender.

Heard a few others say he had one of his better games for us yesterday.

Did nowt for me, gave little protection or support of the strikers, ran about a lot and tried to muscle his way through the opposition, but he was basically a bystander for large parts. Needs to be used as a striker or not at all, now that Emre and Barton are fit.

Cleared a certain goal off the line like! Did a good job for the team. Well done Smudger!

Played a much different role yesterday. Almost as if he was sat in front of the back four. I actually think he had one of his better games for us, not going forward mind you. Still got alot to do to convince though.

I'd certainly have Smith play there again - cemented infront of the back four. But only when we're playing against Barcelona or something, in the second leg, after we've won the first leg 3-0, and really ought to defend - rather than at the pissing Mackems.

OK, that's a slight exaggeration. But i reckon Smith would be very good there if we were in a game/half/last ten minutes, where we had to defend for our lives. He was a wall - i swear just about every goal-kick or defensive punt forward was nodded out by either him or Faye. The method worked very well, it just wasn't necassarily appropriate.

Played a much different role yesterday. Almost as if he was sat in front of the back four. I actually think he had one of his better games for us, not going forward mind you. Still got alot to do to convince though.

He must've been told to do that. He was sat right in front of them.

Did a decent job tbh. Better than Barton and no worse than Emre.

I thought Smith performed his role quite well at the weekend, although whether a player in that position was needed is a different question. He certainly did win a lot of high balls and provided additional protection to the defense.

It was a big mistake to sign him, but while he's here that seems to be the best use for him.

• 2 weeks later...

It's really quite strange how he goes missing from games...

Almost as strange as how he's always singled out for stick while playing out of position and yet others, the likes of N'Zogbia, Martins and the hugely overrated Emre, seem immune regardless of how many poor performances they turn in.

Almost as strange as how he's always singled out for stick while playing out of position and yet others, the likes of N'Zogbia, Martins and the hugely overrated Emre, seem immune regardless of how many poor performances they turn in.

Charles and Oba have been our most productive players thus season.

Smith continuously gives nowt.

Stop reaching.

Charles and Oba have been our most productive players thus season.

Smith continuously gives nowt.

Stop reaching.

Reaching for what?  I don't rate Smith and never said I did.  It's just too easy to blame everything on one or two players like Smith, when fans favourites get away with yet another crap performance.  To say "Charles and Oba have been our most productive players thus season." only highlights how crap the whole team is and not how good they've been.