Alan Smith

Dave

I'm quite fine with Smith as our 4th choice striker. Is £6m too much for a 4th choice striker? Yes, it is, however, we got backup for two other positions as well, meaning that it's not too bad a price.

There have been times this season I've really enjoyed watching Smith play. Granted, he is no one who'll produce any brilliance, but I like his attitude and his link up play can be quite good

I'm quite fine with Smith as our 4th choice striker. Is £6m too much for a 4th choice striker? Yes, it is, however, we got backup for two other positions as well, meaning that it's not too bad a price.

There have been times this season I've really enjoyed watching Smith play. Granted, he is no one who'll produce any brilliance, but I like his attitude and his link up play can be quite good

At least we haven't paid 16 million quid for a fourth choice striker though.

At least we haven't paid 16 million quid for a fourth choice striker though.

True :D Thought their 4th choice striker has scored...

I am confident we have had more good games out of Parker than we will Smith.

Had more out of Parker than we have Milner tbh. Not that that makes any of the the trio good enough. Out of the 3 I'd have Smith every time. Far mor eintelligent footballer than the oher 2. Keeps hi shape way way way more more effectively.

Its a close one between Parker and Milner tbh, both have had a season where they were one of if not our best player but have had a poor season aswell. Milner certainly needs to up his game this season because he has been poor but then he is still young and has the ability just not the pace unfortunately.

Can't really be arsed to get into ANOTHER Milner debate but when he does leave (whenever that is) I think the majority of fans will give him far more respect and praise than Parker or Smith will get.

I am confident we have had more good games out of Parker than we will Smith.

Had more out of Parker than we have Milner tbh. Not that that makes any of the the trio good enough. Out of the 3 I'd have Smith every time. Far mor eintelligent footballer than the oher 2. Keeps hi shape way way way more more effectively.

Its a close one between Parker and Milner tbh, both have had a season where they were one of if not our best player but have had a poor season aswell. Milner certainly needs to up his game this season because he has been poor but then he is still young and has the ability just not the pace unfortunately.

Can't really be arsed to get into ANOTHER Milner debate but when he does leave (whenever that is) I think the majority of fans will give him far more respect and praise than Parker or Smith will get.

Milner keeps his shape far better than the other two, if anything he needs to learn to move away from the formation and take a chance at getting in at the back post when the ball is down the other side of the pitch instead of hugging the touchline so much, similar to how Solano used to pop up at the back post and grab a few goals.

He certainly has a lot of room for improvement. Never going to be the best winger in the league but will be a good player imo, maybe through the centre.....?

I think he has far more ability than others give him credit for though, if he was as fast as Martins he would be so much more highly rated imho (obviously it would be a huge plus so he would always be more highly rated but I think he gets way too much stick because he isnt fast).

Regardless of how little he has played recently it's one goal in his last 47 games.

Failed to score again today, so that's one goal in his last 48 games for the stat' people.

It's a really shit striker who can't score 20 goals a season from midfield, especially if playing the holding role like he did quite well at today.......

He reminded me of Scott Parker today, jumping in to block the ball but his poor range of passing and his inability to hold onto the ball invited more pressure from Sunderland.

No one passed it well today.

We're not talking about everyone else though, we're talking about Smith and his distribution was poor which put us under continued pressure.

I'd be p*ssed off with a midfielder who only scored 1 goal in 48 games, so you'd expect a striker who plays there to score a few.

Couldn't disagree more with that. I'm surprised at you making this comment, tbh.

A natural midfielder playing in their strongest position is going to do everything a midfielder should be doing better than a striker playing in midfield.

Can you explain your logic behind the idea that a striker playing in midfield should score goals from midfield? I think it's obvious that an entirely different set of attributes are needed to score goals as a midfielder compared to a striker.

Regardless of how little he has played recently it's one goal in his last 47 games.

Failed to score again today, so that's one goal in his last 48 games for the stat' people.

It's a really s*** striker who can't score 20 goals a season from midfield, especially if playing the holding role like he did quite well at today.......

I think that I shall never see my cataracts are blinding me...

I'm obviously not going to expect goalscoring to be high on his list of priorities when he plays in the position he did today. However, how often has he played in the holding role in those 48 games?

Smith's goalscoring, or lack of it is secondary issue behind his general effectiveness on the pitch, which  has been his biggest problem throughout his career. It's hard to identify what his qualities and role in the side is most of the time.

I'd be p*ssed off with a midfielder who only scored 1 goal in 48 games, so you'd expect a striker who plays there to score a few.

Couldn't disagree more with that. I'm surprised at you making this comment, tbh.

A natural midfielder playing in their strongest position is going to do everything a midfielder should be doing better than a striker playing in midfield.

Can you explain your logic behind the idea that a striker playing in midfield should score goals from midfield? I think it's obvious that an entirely different set of attributes are needed to score goals as a midfielder compared to a striker.

Your right in many aspects. I don't even remember him being in the box very many times at all. He's certainly not an attacking midfielder when he plays.

Guest Rodimus Prime

He reminded me of Scott Parker today, jumping in to block the ball but his poor range of passing and his inability to hold onto the ball invited more pressure from Sunderland.

We're not talking about everyone else though, we're talking about Smith and his distribution was poor which put us under continued pressure.

Barton was infinetly more guilty then Smith, who had a decent game today. Broke up lots of play and saved a shot off the line. He was asked to do a job and did it adequately.

Barton was infinetly more guilty then Smith, who had a decent game today. Broke up lots of play and saved a shot off the line. He was asked to do a job and did it adequately.

Barton looked totally off the pace, especially in the first half. Caught on the ball, misplaced passes, generally slow at everything and also managing to be a total prick at the same time and could've gotten sent off on another day. Smith was certainly more effective.

It's a really s*** striker who can't score 20 goals a season from midfield, especially if playing the holding role like he did quite well at today.......

I think that I shall never see my cataracts are blinding me...

I'm obviously not going to expect goalscoring to be high on his list of priorities when he plays in the position he did today. However, how often has he played in the holding role in those 48 games?

Smith's goalscoring, or lack of it is secondary issue behind his general effectiveness on the pitch, which  has been his biggest problem throughout his career. It's hard to identify what his qualities and role in the side is most of the time.

I said "midfield" before I said "holding role." That means the "holding role" bit is secondary to Smith being used out of position in midfield generally.

I'm not a stat man like you, so perhaps you'll know where to check this out because I don't. I reckon Smith has played the majority of those 48 games out of position in midfield, but perhaps I'm wrong.

He's not great in any role and I wouldn't suggest he is, however, only a fool judges a striker on his goal scoring record when the player has been used as a midfielder for the majority of the time.

Barton was once again passed by in this game, same as last week.

I wasn't over the moon when we signed him because to be honest, I never noticed him that much at Man City, seeing him pretty much as an average footballer.

I'm not at all convinced he's good enough but now he's in a black and white shirt I'll see more of him and so will be better placed to have an opinion by the end of the season.