Sven want Owen for £15 Million

Guest nufc_geordie

Guest nufc_geordie

From BBC:

Manchester City boss Sven-Goran Eriksson is desperate to sign Newcastle's England striker Michael Owen in the January transfer window, for about £15m. (The Sun)

Bye Bye Michael.

If we got 15 million for him I'd be over the moon, I think he's the best finisher in the league but don't think he wants to be hear. Would prefer to use Martins more and see him improve.

Why £15mill?  can't he still go for £9mill?

Only to a club in europe I think?

Nope, as mentioned before the get out clause has expired.

Guest johnson293

Why £15mill?  can't he still go for £9mill?

No the 9 million had an expiry date (Sometime in July gone I think),.

Yeah, one of the last things Shpeherd said after he left was that Owens (£9m) release clause had expired in july, but it wasn't exactly clear whether it had expired altogether, for anyone, or if it had just expired for this season, and would resurface agin next summer, probably slightly lower as he'd be entering the final year of his current deal.

As I said on the other Owen thread - if sven is daft enough to pay us almost all of the transfer back that we paid for him, then I think it may be time to draw a line under the whole thing, and move on.

Not convinced the £15m fee (+ £110k wages) is accurate though.

£15 million would be a great deal, because lets be honest he is never going to sign a new contract with us and so to get back most of the fee we paid Madrid for him would be excellent business. Selling him in January or beginning of summer would also avoid all of the Owen paper speculation about his contract which will inevitably start soon, and would annoy the hell out of me!

Owen is just what City need, and it would suit Owen, given that he's based in Chester. It would also be better for us to sell for £15 million half way through the season, rather than have a buy-out clause activated in the summer. So there may be something in this.

At the beginning of the season, I'd have said take the money. But I've actually been impressed by what I've seen of him this season. He may be slower, but his link up play has improved a lot. I honestly think he now looks a much better all round player, and I'd be trying to persuade him to stay.

As with Dyer, the boo-boys aren't helping here.

by far our best striker, but injury prone and unlikely to stay anyway. i'd be tempted, but am not sure just yet... nah - fuck it, we'll never get a better striker in so keep him!!!  :clap2:

I thought it had an expiry date but only in each transfer window, something like 2 weeks left of the window and he cannot leave for £9mill, but aye I did forget about it having to be a club with European football..

Owen got a decent cheers when he came on against Everton, the boo's are purely aimed at Sam for taking Martins off.

Guest Bramble OG

15m is good for a player with his injury recored, however if he plays the games for city they will become a top 5 side IMO, and make the top 5 as hard to break into as the top 4 has been for the last few years, so maybe its worth more to us to keep him, unless we replace him with someone of a very high quality.

The sun article that claims this also claims we will replace him with Anelka.  Now i would take that as i think Anelka will cost less than 15 million (probably 10) and he offers an alround classier game and is less injury proned.  He also hasn't sulked once since going to Bolton (at least as far as i have heard).  But probably will be looking to get out of Bolton given their position.

Also, you realise the only source is The Sun? Logic is Sven played Owen for England, Owen is a good source of speculation, sells papers - therefore Sven is signing Owen for City!

Laughable.

Logic is Sven has a pile of money, Sven's league sides always do excepionally well, City are a team on the way up, Owen is best finisher in Premiership and wants t play in Europe

From BBC:

Manchester City boss Sven-Goran Eriksson is desperate to sign Newcastle's England striker Michael Owen in the January transfer window, for about £15m. (The Sun)

Bye Bye Michael.

Absolute load of bullshit, most obvious story ever.

Would snap their fuckin hands off for £15m, no club is surely stupid enough to pay that much now?!

This idea that the fans are driving Owen away is not only wrong, it's a baseless slur. I wonder where they got £15m from anyway? It's a fantastic number even if it's got no basis in reality.

Its a good price and I am sure we would sell him for that, I can also see Sven spending that much on him, its what City are missing an out and out finisher. They would be some team if he does go there and stay fit, my worry is that we would replace him with one of Sam's old Bolton boys such as Diouf.

Thing is if we can get a replacement in and strengthen the rest of the team I think it is worth selling.

He is so fragile and there will always be speculation that he is going here there and everywhere, along with the media stirring up shite about fall outs with the manager.

I think there are far too many downsides that his good sides doesn't make up for.

My attitude would change if we had an injury free run from now until December, but that will bring specualtion about one of the big boys coming in.

Can we afford to lose Owen and Martins though in the Jan window? I cannot see Oba wanting to stay here, okay he may if Owen is sold but its still a worry.

I really do not want Anelka or Diouf but I bet its who we would end up with..