Riise

bodson

Amazing that given the state of our team people would turn their nose up at Riise.

OK, one last time, all together..

WE CAN'T ATTRACT WORLD CLASS PLAYERS!

I remember what you were saying when we were being linked with Yakubu few years ago. You said that he was the best we could get at present.

What happened few weeks later, I wonder. Oh, that’s right, we only signed Michael Owen!

:iamatwat:

That worked out well.

Amazing that given the state of our team people would turn their nose up at Riise.

I remember what you were saying when we were being linked with Yakubu few years ago. You said that he was the best we could get at present.

What happened few weeks later, I wonder. Oh, thats right, we only signed Michael Owen!

That worked out well.

Bought to say, in the long run Yakubu would of definatly been the better option for us.

What happened few weeks later, I wonder. Oh, that’s right, we only signed Michael Owen!

That worked out well.

hindsight. :rolleyes:

Sorry...but those dismissing Riise as shit haven't a clue what they're on about.

Yes he hasn't had the best time of it the past 2 seasons. But fuck me, i'd have him if he can return to his earlier form! Still at quite a good age, and is excellent going forward. Do you even remember who our manager is??? Kevin fucking Keegan ladies and gents. Who said anything about defending?

Lad who can run, shoot, has a left foot, knows the league and can play a variety of roles. IMO a snip at 6 million.

That worked out well.

Sorry, missed off a wink. ;)

Anyway, it didn't need too much foresight to guess it would end in tears.

Fwiw, I don't think Riise is all that bad, but then I don't think he's all that good either.

I can't see the justification in spending £6m on what would amount to a less-than-significant upgrade. Just play Enrique and spend the money elsewhere.

Fwiw, I don't think Riise is all that bad, but then I don't think he's all that good either.

I can't see the justification in spending £6m on what would amount to a less-than-significant upgrade. Just play Enrique and spend the money elsewhere.

And if Enrique - Jah forbid - suffers a broken leg? Would you rather have Riise at left back, or would you rather have Ramage/Carr/Taylor? or use Duff or Zog in defensive positions again?

IMO we can easily afford the 6 million figure for a player like Riise. He's by no means a world beater, but at the moment he would represent very good business.

I don't understand this line of thought though? Even if we don't go for Riise we still need a left back. Enrique is the only one we have isn't he? Or do people not mind Zoggy back there anymore, should Enrique get crocked or suffer a dip in form?

I think from here on out Zoggy should concentrate on mastering as many attacking positions as possible and no more defensive ones.

And if Enrique - Jah forbid - suffers a broken leg? Would you rather have Riise at left back, or would you rather have Ramage/Carr/Taylor? or use Duff or Zog in defensive positions again?

IMO we can easily afford the 6 million figure for a player like Riise. He's by no means a world beater, but at the moment he would represent very good business.

Being able to afford it is one thing being discussed in another thread. I'd imagine he'd be on large wages (going by the payslip that did the rounds) and I'd rather get someone better and/or older - see Beye for example.

Agree we need someone to fill out the squad in that position, but it's miles from being the priority IMO.

We do need another left-back, and I've liked Riise for a good while now. Wouldn't be too upset with this, but wouldn't be bouncing off the walls either. I'd be on the fence.

Thing is, it makes me laugh when loads of people on here constantly complain that we dont shoot from distance, and don't score enough goals from different positions.

Here we are with a chance to sign someone who can easily chip in with 4 or 5 goals a season from LB, and can help KK's game plan by constantly having teams under pressure with his distance shooting....and we're turning our noses up at it.

A confident shooter like Riise can cause a few keepers to spill the ball, hence creating more chances for our forwards to tuck a few in.

Sorry...but those dismissing Riise as shit haven't a clue what they're on about.

Yes he hasn't had the best time of it the past 2 seasons. But fuck me, i'd have him if he can return to his earlier form! Still at quite a good age, and is excellent going forward. Do you even remember who our manager is??? Kevin fucking Keegan ladies and gents. Who said anything about defending?

Lad who can run, shoot, has a left foot, knows the league and can play a variety of roles. IMO a snip at 6 million.

Do we never learn from buying top 4's rejects? awful player, thunderbolt goals every blue moon does not make him a good option and 2-3million maybe.

That worked out well.

Sorry, missed off a wink. ;)

Anyway, it didn't need too much foresight to guess it would end in tears.

well, i'm not writting off michael owen yet.

Sorry...but those dismissing Riise as s*** haven't a clue what they're on about.

Yes he hasn't had the best time of it the past 2 seasons. But f*** me, i'd have him if he can return to his earlier form! Still at quite a good age, and is excellent going forward. Do you even remember who our manager is??? Kevin f****** Keegan ladies and gents. Who said anything about defending?

Do we never learn from buying top 4's rejects? awful player, thunderbolt goals every blue moon does not make him a good option and 2-3million maybe.

Aye 3 million is about a good price, if we were going for him in the summer. Seeing as it's the winter window, and we need the reinforcements, prices will be inflated in any case, whoever we go for. IMO it represents less of a risk than signing a player from abroad.

I don't understand this line of thought though? Even if we don't go for Riise we still need a left back. Enrique is the only one we have isn't he? Or do people not mind Zoggy back there anymore, should Enrique get crocked or suffer a dip in form?

I think from here on out Zoggy should concentrate on mastering as many attacking positions as possible and no more defensive ones.

correct

Riise won't come here to sit on the bench and i think i'd cry if we dropped Enrique to accomodate him.

A hopeless defender who used to live off the odd wonder goal, now he doesn't even score those.

Guest Guinness

I like Riise and don't think he's anywhere near as bad as some people are making out. I wouldn't mind seeing him here although the £6m price tag seems a little steep when you take current form into account.

Not worth £6m but he's a decent enough left-back imo and can play in midfield should KK ever feel the need to defend away from home.