Premierships over-rated players

Guest kingdawson

I think despite the hype-athon, Agbonlahor has delivered a lot more than Lennon who can run very fast and....well thats about it.

Guest kingdawson

I think despite the hype-athon, Agbonlahor has delivered a lot more than Lennon who can run very fast and....well thats about it.

in 24 premiership games last season, Lennon got 3 goals and 8 assist so you're talking rubbish tbh.

I forgot Riise. He's definitely up there with the most overhyped. Can't defend, doesn't offer much of anything going forward but he'll score a nice volley every two months so lots  of people seem to think he's great. Not me. Nor any match going Liverpool fans I know.

Dawson

Carragher

Nolan

Brown

S. Taylor

A. Cole

Sidwell

What do you think of Andy Johnson?

He started well for us but seems to have lost his way. I do think he's been playing half fit a lot of the time recently though.

I don't think he should have been in the last couple of England squads.

I agree with the comments about Aaron Lennon. Half an hour at the world cup, coming onto a field of tired players and using his pace to good effect, and suddenly he is the saviour of England.

I'd also argue that Gareth Barry, at the moment, is overrated. He is another one who has become the 'saviour of English football' because of a few ordinary performances against ordinary or poor opposition. Always been a decent player, never been anything special.

I'd argue that Lampard has become underrated in recent times. People talk about him like he's an average player, it's amazing the power that a few tabloid journalists can have over many people's perceptions. Here's a player who scores for fun in midfield, one of the best teams in Europe struggle without him, yet I'm sure you could find people who will tell you that Gareth Barry is better. The English media love a hero and they love a villain, and right now Barry and Lampard fill those roles.

in 24 premiership games last season, Lennon got 3 goals and 8 assist so you're talking rubbish tbh.

Whilst not terrible, that's also not brilliant, is it?

I think Lennon is a good player, I do think he is overrated, though.

When the usual Tottenham fans who write for the gutter press of London say Chelsea want him for £21m & SWP after 5-7 very good games and a NT debut, over rated doesn't really cover it does it?  :lol:

I agree with the comments about Aaron Lennon. Half an hour at the world cup, coming onto a field of tired players and using his pace to good effect, and suddenly he is the saviour of England.

I'd also argue that Gareth Barry, at the moment, is overrated. He is another one who has become the 'saviour of English football' because of a few ordinary performances against ordinary or poor opposition. Always been a decent player, never been anything special.

I'd argue that Lampard has become underrated in recent times. People talk about him like he's an average player, it's amazing the power that a few tabloid journalists can have over many people's perceptions. Here's a player who scores for fun in midfield, one of the best teams in Europe struggle without him, yet I'm sure you could find people who will tell you that Gareth Barry is better. The English media love a hero and they love a villain, and right now Barry and Lampard fill those roles.

I haven't heard many people say Barry is a better player than Lampard, but I have heard plenty say England look better with Barry alongside Gerrard than Lampard. Those are two different things.

Lampard and Gerrard have been tried together for England so many times, and it just does not work. That's been England's problem as long as I can remember (and I'm nudging 40) - always picking the bigger names rather than the ones who perform best.

That's why Clemence hung on ahead of Shilton for so long, why John Barnes got 90 odd caps and put in 3 or 4 decent performances at most, and why Lampard and Gerrard were persisted with for so long.

Barry has been ignored by the last three England managers, and now he's had his chance, he's taken it. Good luck to the bloke. To suggest that he's somehow gone from being criminally underrated to hugely overrated in the space of a few weeks seems a bit, well, unlikely

3 goals is a pretty poor ratio in that sort of game for an "attacking midfielder," saying that Kieron Dyer would kill for a scoring ratio of that magnitude.

Guest tobiazvanderziaz

shearer was overrated

That you may have to explain! Cant see how the all time goalscorer in the PL can be overrated.....

overrated by nufc fans FACT

if he was such a great he would of won trophies with us

roy keane is a true great unlike shearer

Cant see how Shearer could have contributed more than he did on the field, and to blame him alone for the failiure to win any trophies is just ridiculous. You can maybe say that he didnt help the club in some cases, but you cant over-rate him as a player.

I forgot Riise. He's definitely up there with the most overhyped. Can't defend, doesn't offer much of anything going forward but he'll score a nice volley every two months so lots  of people seem to think he's great. Not me. Nor any match going Liverpool fans I know.

I said similar during the summer.