Spuds Pre match thread

NSG

Havent read the thread but just read this quote from Jol.

""We had European football for the last two years and they (Newcastle) didn't. It would be fantastic for them if they were in the first six or seven, playing European football next season would be a good achievement for them.

We already did that twice so it's different. We are in the group stages of the UEFA Cup and they would love to do that as well."

""We had European football for the last two years and they (Newcastle) didn't. It would be fantastic for them if they were in the first six or seven, playing European football next season would be a good achievement for them.

We already did that twice so it's different. We are in the group stages of the UEFA Cup and they would love to do that as well."

It's difficult to know where to start with that. He's right that 6/7 would be a good finish, like.

It's difficult to know where to start with that. He's right that 6/7 would be a good finish, like.

He's right on that point.

http://sport.setanta.com/en/Sport/News/Football/2007/10/21/Prem-Jol-Newcastle-are-jealous-of-us/

Aye, we haven't played European football in the past two seasons....

Two 5th place finished in god knows how long and he reckons we're jealous of them. Come back when you've taken Spuds into the Champions League, you potato headed cunt.

Shit - I must have been really pissed up last year watching us get knocked out one round before they did.

Or he could have said "we're really jealous of Newcastle because we didn't have to blame losing out on our one chance of getting into the Champions League on a case of the tom tits'"

He's properly lost it if he cant remember us playing a team from his country 5/6 months ago. Starting to crack under the pressure?

It would be fucking hilarious hearing him lose it in that accent too "I alsho have feelingsh..."

Guest MagicNumber9

Im predicting a win, 2-0 feel very optimistic on this one, plus - if we win ill get £230 from my accumulator this weekend, only put 2 quid on  :laughing9:

Well there's only one team thats going to be geared up by those comments.

My first thoughts when I read them as well. If I were Sam I'd be showing these comments to the players before the game.

Reminds me of a few years ago when Dyer was backing himself in the press to dislodge Scholes from the England team, right before a game with Man Utd. Scholes came out and taught him a lesson in football.

Jol really isn't in a position to be making these sorts of comments.

My first thoughts when I read them as well. If I were Sam I'd be showing these comments to the players before the game.

Reminds me of a few years ago when Dyer was backing himself in the press to dislodge Scholes from the England team, right before a game with Man Utd. Scholes came out and taught him a lesson in football.

Hat-trick in a 6-2, wasn't it? At our place as well iirc.

Its like going into a bears cave and poking him with a stick while he's asleep, only both your legs are broken and its very dark.

Lets hope so anyway.  :laugh:

Sounds like a man under pressure to me. I hope we're the team that gets him his P45.

Oh dear god please let it be!

:frantic:

Can't see us hammering them though enough for it to happen, if we win it will be close, if its a riot then who knows!

Sounds like a man under pressure to me. I hope we're the team that gets him his P45.

So they can get a new manager in that will take them to the next level?

Well, thats IF they can, do we believe they can attract a world class manager? London club with money and lots of potential?

strange quote from jol, he usually seems quite gracious but that does read like a bit of a wind up, i would say the pressure's getting to him and its a half arsed attempt at mind games

"You see their strikeforce - (Obafemi) Martins is awesome, (Mark) Viduka is one of the most skilful number nines in the league, (Alan) Smith is suspended but the best finisher is still probably Michael Owen.

"They always seem to have good players but to attract the players they have got, you need success.”

Is he showing his own statement to be wrong, or is the club winning trophies it's not telling us about?

"You see their strikeforce - (Obafemi) Martins is awesome, (Mark) Viduka is one of the most skilful number nines in the league, (Alan) Smith is suspended but the best finisher is still probably Michael Owen.

"They always seem to have good players but to attract the players they have got, you need success.

Is he showing his own statement to be wrong, or is the club winning trophies it's not telling us about?

He is sounds like what Roeder was like towards the end of his reign, He's talking bollocks.

I don't think he watched much English football before he came over.  Not sure why he would make these comments.  We weren't the only ones feeling his wrath:

"The only conclusion you can make over the last couple of years is that teams like Aston Villa, Manchester City - they would be delighted to be in the top six."

I think most teams outside the top 4 would be delighted with that.  Anyhoo.

I'm a little nervous about this one because I feel it is a must win game.  To stay within reach of Blackburn, Pompey and Chelsea we need to pick up as many points as possible while were healthy and a full squad.  We're jammed up at Christmas, so winning now could alleviate some pressure in the future. 

Spurs are due a win, and as stated before, we usually surrender those wins.  Hope things are different tomorrow, should be an exciting match.

Given

Beye   Caçapa  Rozehnal   Enrique

Milner    Geremi  Emre  N'Zogbia

Owen     Smith

Smith is on a ban, I believe.

Given

Beye  Caçapa  Rozehnal  Enrique

Milner    Butt  Emre  N'Zogbia

Owen    Viduka

Given

Beye   Caçapa  Rozehnal   Enrique

Milner    Geremi  Emre  N'Zogbia

Owen     Smith

Smith is on a ban, I believe.

Given

Beye   Caçapa  Rozehnal   Enrique

Milner    Butt  Emre  N'Zogbia

Owen     Viduka

Good line up but i'd have Faye in there instead of Roz because Faye is good in the air, Last thing we need is Berb winning all the balls in the air. Against West Ham i thought Cacapa and Roz were weak in the air.

this match is extremely important for us imo - we need to show that we are capable of beating our direct opponents for 5th-8th at home. spurs have some brilliant players, but we've looked slightly better than them this season. this is a big night for our defenders - they need to show their worth now!

as for the line up, i hope that both emre and zoggy will start as they are the ones who can provide that bit of creativity that is needed to win this one.

2-1 may be it, but i am a bit anxious