Spuds Pre match thread

NSG

Guest kingdawson

I didn't realise Spurs midfield was so poor.  Lennon is very hit and miss imo, Jose will see to him,  Tainio isn't even a winger, never mind a left footed one, Zokora seems decent, and Jenas, well - we all know about him and his 'abilities'.

weve also got malbranque, huddlestone, taarabt and boateng who are all good players.

I didn't realise Spurs midfield was so poor.  Lennon is very hit and miss imo, Jose will see to him,  Tainio isn't even a winger, never mind a left footed one, Zokora seems decent, and Jenas, well - we all know about him and his 'abilities'.

weve also got malbranque, huddlestone, taarabt and boateng who are all good players.

Come on kingdawson - our midfield is pretty shit ;) We sold our only top 4 quality midfielder. That's why I'm so annoyed we spent 16 million on a player we didn't really need! The midfield should have been the priority over the Summer

Jenas, Zokora and Dawson are Spurs' weak links, though they will always keep possession well and knock it about comfortably when you have Berbatov and Keane dropping into midfield. I also think they are vulnerable in the space between the full-back and centre-half when you have players like Lee and Chimbonda who go wandering upfield and act like wingers half the time.

Guest newcastle4life

Big game really need a win to keep us in contention with the European places. 2-1 Toon Martins and Owen to score

Guest WashyGeordie

Chris Mort says: "I hope the momentum created by the toon ultras up in level 7 really catches on throughout st james park."

From todays official programme...

BBTN.

Chris Mort says: "I hope the momentum created by the toon ultras up in level 7 really catches on throughout st james park."

From todays official programme...

BBTN.

indeed if it hadn't been for them this season the atmosphere would have been pitiful

I think Martins is going to be very exciting to watch tonight and I am expecting him to have a very good game.

He has been very eager to prove he can play alongside Owen and I think he is locked into proving he can do so.

I can hardly wait.

Guest RodrigoPalacio

Malbranque yes, Huddlestone possible, but the other two are still unproven.  Canny prospects, but not going to be match winners just yet.  Specially not against Gingaldo and RonGeremi.

Is there any chance Barton will start?

I'm actually a bit ITK-ish for tonight's game. :coolsmiley:  I'm fairly sure that we'll see Barton on the bench. I know, hardly a revelation, but i've heard that from an independent source.

Is there any chance Barton will start?

I'm actually a bit ITK-ish for tonight's game. :coolsmiley:  I'm fairly sure that we'll see Barton on the bench. I know, hardly a revelation, but i've heard that from an independent source.

Good news.

If we're playing Owen and Martins up front then we need Barton or Emre starting the game. The others have shown they just can't or won't pick a forward pass on a regular basis, or play too deep to make it effective.

If the service is good, I'm confident Owen and Martins can perform together, but if we're clipping long balls forward they will struggle to get into the game and will come deeper to get the ball.

The key area we can win this game is midfield. The likes of Zokora and Jenas are not great midfielders and can be dominated when they play away from home. If we can outplay them in midfield then maybe we can get balls to Oba and Owen's feet. Do this, and we'll be a strong threat.