***(Euro 2008 - Qualifying)*** Russia v England Today at 16:00

Skirge

It really is time to totally revamp the set up and i think that means bringing in a continental coach. Someone like Mourinho, van Gaal or Scolari wouldnt be afraid to try new things rather than bow to media pressure. Jose's available now so the FA should show some balls and make their move now rather than dilly dallying to wait to see if McClown can somehow pull a rabbit out the hat.

people used the "continental coach" argument with Sven but he proved to be more afraid of dropping his stars than any manager around.

there's no single panacea that can be quickly brought in to cure the national team of its ills. In recent years we've seen Keegan touted as the man to restore our pride and solve our problems, Sven touted as someone to bring an outside approach, Owen, Beckham, Rooney, Gerrard all touted as the problems to our playing woes and so on. even average players like Hargreaves or Barry or Heskey have been held up as the answer to our prayers ffs. of course it helps bringing in a top class foreign manager but they're still working with damaged goods and can't single handidly change that. we need to start training our youngsters in a different way at grassroots level and changing our approach to football, so that we can vary our play. at the minute we just can't adapt to playing different styles of football. how often have we failed to hold onto a lead or draw? that's cos we are fundamentally unable to slow down the tempo, dictate a game, dominate possession, pass it smoothly and comfortably, move around the pitch in an intelligent manner and so on. even our best, best, best players are probably worse at these bread and butter parts of the game than some no-mark macedonian or croation who has not even a tenth of the english player's natural talent.

Elmander and Zlatan above Owen and Rooney, atleast in a sense that both our forwards would be good enough to enable you to play a lone striker.

No offencem but personally, I'd have to smoke a prodigious amount of crack to even start to believe that Ibrahimovic is even a quarter of the player Rooney is, let alone Owen.

And I don't even particularly rate Rooney.

Elmander and Zlatan above Owen and Rooney, atleast in a sense that both our forwards would be good enough to enable you to play a lone striker.

No offencem but personally, I'd have to smoke a prodigious amount of crack to even start to believe that Ibrahimovic is even a quarter of the player Rooney is, let alone Owen.

I reckon in the past couple of seasons Zlatan has matured in a way that he probably should have ages ago. He's better than Owen imo, and he's proving it at Inter every single week.

Edit - 22 league goals in 34 matches says a lot.

Guest Peter.Sthlm

If you don't rate Zlatan you have to think of the Serie A as a pretty poor league. He is among the best players in the Serie A and is the lead scorer of the team that tops the table at the moment with his seven goals in just seven games. He is also the leagues top scorer so far this season. Zlatans is a real quallity player who had a bad seasons two years ago and bad world cup last summer. Since then he's developed alot and might well be the best striker in Italy.

And btw Zlatan and Elmanders might not individually be as strong as Owen and Rooney but as a partnership they are better.

If you don't rate Zlatan you have to think of the Serie A as a pretty poor league. He is among the best players in the Serie A and is the lead scorer of the team that tops the table at the moment with his seven goals in just seven games. Zlatans is a real quallity player who had a bad seasons two years ago and bad world cup last summer. Since then he's developed alot and might well be the best striker in Italy.

And btw Zlatan and Elmanders might not individually be as strong as Owen and Rooney but as a partnership they are better.

blueyes.gif

Everything you said about Zlatan I agree with. He's a great player and one who's probably now underrated because of how shit he was in the WC and in his last season with Juve. The criticism he got from all that seems to have stuck and now people don't seem to appreciate how much he's improved and matured as a player. No more silly bookings/red cards and no more stupid mazy dribbles that go nowhere. He's more direct than anywhere and very lethal now.

You haven't been watching italian football much, have ya?

You haven't been watching italian football much, have ya?

Admittedly, no, not this last year or so.

Dont think the problem is just down to McLaren, sat down with a friend today and chatted some football and we talked about the English national team. Neither of us managed to come up with a formation, with all players fit that we where completely happy with and as a lot of the key players are injury prone it gets even worse. My country dont have that many quality players but for modern football I would say both our forwards are better than yours. Elmander and Zlatan above Owen and Rooney, atleast in a sense that both our forwards would be good enough to enable you to play a lone striker.

What I am saying is, its not just down to McLaren. You have some great players but it seems that there is no way to get them playing in a working formation.

My money is on Sweden to win Euro 2008, good outside bet. Ive watched them a fair bit over the last few months and they never really look like losing. Solid defence and enough creativity up front.

McClownan is such a tit, how obvious he was gonna blame it all on the pen. Tbh if I was ref i would have gave it, my immediate reaction was "thats a pen" and only tv replays showed it was dubious...

"I've just seen the penalty again. It's an absolute disgrace .

"It's outside the box. The linesman didn't give it. It was the referee from quite some distance. Things like that turn games.

"We were comfortable. They were running out of ideas and that just turned the game.

"It was a mad four minutes after that and unfortunately we conceded a second.

Nail on the head stuff again by Chris 'pelanty Waddle I thought. England seem to only be able to play at one pace i.e. 100 miles per hour which leads to them inevitably tiring in the latter stages of games, especially if they have to chase the game. He also pointed out again that when we go ahead we seem incapable (mainly because of the high-tempo English game) of keeping the ball, slowing the pace and controlling the game. Sad but true.

It really is time to totally revamp the set up and i think that means bringing in a continental coach. Someone like Mourinho, van Gaal or Scolari wouldnt be afraid to try new things rather than bow to media pressure. Jose's available now so the FA should show some balls and make their move now rather than dilly dallying to wait to see if McClown can somehow pull a rabbit out the hat.

people used the "continental coach" argument with Sven but he proved to be more afraid of dropping his stars than any manager around.

there's no single panacea that can be quickly brought in to cure the national team of its ills. In recent years we've seen Keegan touted as the man to restore our pride and solve our problems, Sven touted as someone to bring an outside approach, Owen, Beckham, Rooney, Gerrard all touted as the problems to our playing woes and so on. even average players like Hargreaves or Barry or Heskey have been held up as the answer to our prayers ffs. of course it helps bringing in a top class foreign manager but they're still working with damaged goods and can't single handidly change that. we need to start training our youngsters in a different way at grassroots level and changing our approach to football, so that we can vary our play. at the minute we just can't adapt to playing different styles of football. how often have we failed to hold onto a lead or draw? that's cos we are fundamentally unable to slow down the tempo, dictate a game, dominate possession, pass it smoothly and comfortably, move around the pitch in an intelligent manner and so on. even our best, best, best players are probably worse at these bread and butter parts of the game than some no-mark macedonian or croation who has not even a tenth of the english player's natural talent.

You make some excellent points there Johnny.

Guest kingdawson

Having seen the replay i have to agree that it was Robbo's fault and dont worry about him playing a blinder on monday as he hasnt had a good game for us in a long long time.

Dont think the problem is just down to McLaren, sat down with a friend today and chatted some football and we talked about the English national team. Neither of us managed to come up with a formation, with all players fit that we where completely happy with and as a lot of the key players are injury prone it gets even worse. My country dont have that many quality players but for modern football I would say both our forwards are better than yours. Elmander and Zlatan above Owen and Rooney, atleast in a sense that both our forwards would be good enough to enable you to play a lone striker.

What I am saying is, its not just down to McLaren. You have some great players but it seems that there is no way to get them playing in a working formation.

My money is on Sweden to win Euro 2008, good outside bet. Ive watched them a fair bit over the last few months and they never really look like losing. Solid defence and enough creativity up front.

So good they could only draw to a depleted Norn Iron team at home?

Having seen the replay i have to agree that it was Robbo's fault and dont worry about him playing a blinder on monday as he hasnt had a good game for us in a long long time.

Nailed on, then.

As long as we give him shit loads of grief he'll buckle sooner rather than later.

We should target him and not let up, 3pts in the bag if we do.

Nailed on, then.

As long as we give him shit loads of grief he'll buckle sooner rather than later.

blueyes.gif

Guest kingdawson

Nailed on, then.

As long as we give him s*** loads of grief he'll buckle sooner rather than later.

blueyes.gif

:-[

Nailed on, then.

As long as we give him s*** loads of grief he'll buckle sooner rather than later.

blueyes.gif

Will your fans be sticking up for him, kd, or will you give him stick too?

Nailed on, then.

blueyes.gif

We should boo him in a cockney accent, really mess with his head.

How do cockney's boo again?

'Beowww'?

Nailed on, then.

blueyes.gif

'Beowww'?

Oi, Robbow! Fack orf, you cant!

Nailed on, then.

blueyes.gif

'Beowww'?

Oi, Robbow! Fack orf, you cant!

:lol:

Guest kingdawson

Nailed on, then.

blueyes.gif

tbh most spurs fans have absolutly no confidence in Robbo at all. The fact that he single handedly cost us over 10 points this season dosent really help matters. One thing i dont understand though is the refusal by most spurs fans to criticise Robbo's weight gain when most were all to happy to go on about Mido's weight and Andy Reid when they were at the club. Spurs fans on the whole really like Robinson but dont really have any confidence in him if that makes sense.

SSN Breaking News: Paul Robinson out of Tottenham's game at Newcastle with Calf Strain

Or should that be : Paul Robinson out of Tottenham's game at Newcastle with "Calf Strain". :-X

Unlucky eh.

Poor calf, didn't stand a chance against the hungry fat bastard.