Reading pre match thread

NSG

Can't be a 4-3-3, none of those lot would enjoy that wide forward position and Viduka isn't fit to play the lone front man. Geremi and Emre on the flanks in a 4-4-2? Seems very negative, no width or pace in that midfield to stretch them, square pegs in round holes as well.

I'm curious to see the rest of the lineup, as Shak says I hope Sam knows what he's doing.

Emre, Butt, Barton and Geremi all start

:-/

Narrow diamond?

..............Given............

Beye.Ccac..Faye.Enrique

.............Butt..................

.....Geremi.Emre............

...........Barton...............

Would be easier to keep it on the ground and supply the strikers?

?

Not the most pacy midfield but they can all pass the ball very well (aside from Butt) and this should work very well for Martins and Owen upfront. Emre has played out wide for Turkey and should be comfortable there.

I think this could work very well for this game. It is Reading afterall, and they are not the quickest team in the league or the strongest defensively. I don't think the lack of pace in the midfield will be as much of a problem.

I think Emre will be a pleasant surprise on the left especially in linking up with Enrique who does such a good job of getting forward.

I like the lineup  :thup:

Given

Beye

Faye

Cacapa

Enrique

Geremi

Barton

Butt

Emre

Martins

Owen

Emre wide left according to Fat Mick.

Where are Zog and Milner?

Maybe the aim is not going to be to get crosses in but keep it on the ground? A narrow diamond will help with this. Just hope Geremi/Emre provide protection for the fullbacks.

Guest Guinness

Don't like the fact we're playing with no width, Geremi and Emre in particular aren't suited to wings so I've no idea how that midfield is going to line up. Just hope whatever Sam deploys pays off.

We've got good attacking full backs, putting Butt and Barton in the middle gives protection to allow them to bomb on, Emre and Geremi will also happily track back.

Beye and Enrique are therefore the key players for me in this formation

Excellent point and I agree completely.

Enrique and Beye will get forward and provide extra width for the team, and Emre and Geremi will do a good job of covering for them when they need to as well as assisting them defensively in general.

I actually like this lineup a lot. Emre will do better out wide than he has done for us through the middle. I really only prefer Emre through the middle in a 4-3-3.

Pleasantly surprised that Sam is giving the Owen and Martins partnership another go. Good stuff.

Any idea of the bench? Where's Zoggy? Did Sam not see how poor we were offensively when we didn't have anyone driving at the other team on Monday night? Fucking hell, seems like he's looking for a 1-0, instead of actually going out and playing.

Though this should probably go in the thread, these are the kind of games which will decide whether Sam stays here for a while or not. Most of us don't seem to expect to get much from games against the top 4, so it's 'okay' if we get dominated and lose - we're all frustrated (like we were against Arsenal) but we seem to know that we were up against a better team. However, when we're up against teams like Reading, Derby, and Boro away and we go out defensively, Sam will get criticized to fuck because we all know how that's not our speciality. If we at least attack and play football, at least Sam will have that even if we don't get any points. He needs to improve the football that we play away from home.