Sam IS A Tactical Genius

Crumpy Gunt

Guest Reading Fan

Can't quite work out what is worse. Allardyce playing for a point or admitting he played for a point!

I'd prefer he was honest really.

I never thought I'd see the day when Newcastle of all teams came to Reading to play for a point.

I just thought it was teams like Peterborough who used to come to Reading to play for a point.

People are being way too hard on Sam. He's still learning about his players, and testing different things out. Reading finished above us in the league last time, aren't far behind us now, and have a decent home record. He figured that we weren't good enough to go out there and attack them from the start. That may have been the wrong call in the end, but it wasn't a crazy call.

The one decision that surprised me was starting with Oba and using Smith as a sub. Smith's retention of the ball and link up play is far better than Oba's, and that's what we needed. Maybe Sam is a bit fed up of Smith's regular bookings and bans, and didn't want to let him think he could walk back into the side. Maybe he was a bit reluctant to break up a strikeforce after a 3-1 win. Hopefully he wasn't influenced by the many fans who don't like Smith. Whatever, dropping Oba would have been the controversial but correct decision, and he didn't make it.

People are being way too hard on Sam. He's still learning about his players, and testing different things out. Reading finished above us in the league last time, aren't far behind us now, and have a decent home record. He figured that we weren't good enough to go out there and attack them from the start. That may have been the wrong call in the end, but it wasn't a crazy call.

The one decision that surprised me was starting with Oba and using Smith as a sub. Smith's retention of the ball and link up play is far better than Oba's, and that's what we needed. Maybe Sam is a bit fed up of Smith's regular bookings and bans, and didn't want to let him think he could walk back into the side. Maybe he was a bit reluctant to break up a strikeforce after a 3-1 win. Hopefully he wasn't influenced by the many fans who don't like Smith. Whatever, dropping Oba would have been the controversial but correct decision, and he didn't make it.

where as others see a pattern forming if you include the boro and derby games (you could include poor tactics at citeh)

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11678_2834895,00.html

Newcastle manager Sam Allardyce has admitted he is still unsure of his best starting line-up.

Allardyce has been frustrated by his side's inconsistent form since taking charge at St James' Park over the summer.

He has regularly made changes to his team but concedes he is still searching for the right formula.

"I don't know my strongest 11 just yet, but as each game goes by you get a little closer," he said in the Daily Star.

The Magpies remain unbeaten at home this season but have lost three out of five games on their travels.

Allardyce believes his team must learn to adapt away from home and become harder to break down.

"We've been a dominant force at home and that's encouraging, but my biggest concern is the away form," he explained.

"It's important the players take everything we're telling them on board.

"We need to become more determined to stop the opposition playing."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11678_2834895,00.html

Newcastle manager Sam Allardyce has admitted he is still unsure of his best starting line-up.

Allardyce has been frustrated by his side's inconsistent form since taking charge at St James' Park over the summer.

He has regularly made changes to his team but concedes he is still searching for the right formula.

"I don't know my strongest 11 just yet, but as each game goes by you get a little closer," he said in the Daily Star.

The Magpies remain unbeaten at home this season but have lost three out of five games on their travels.

Allardyce believes his team must learn to adapt away from home and become harder to break down.

"We've been a dominant force at home and that's encouraging, but my biggest concern is the away form," he explained.

"It's important the players take everything we're telling them on board.

"We need to become more determined to stop the opposition playing."

stop them playing by having possession rather than just defending..............just a thought.

Sam, tactical genius?  ;D yeah right!

we may have lost and played crap but...reading are s**** and only have shorey or murty

That was a stupid come back...If Reading are s*** then NUFC were SUPER S***...BTW you only need 3 *** not 4 for s***

Can anyone beat such post ? Wrong X Wrong = SUPER WRONG

Still a worrying nod towards spoiling tactics rather than taking the initiative ourselves. :undecided:

Exactly...Why can't we just play our game and not care about the opposition...I'm sure we will do better...We need to play to our players' strength

Guest Sniffer

We weren't good enough to go out and attack a team that had leaked 20 odd goals so far this season?

Are you fucking crazy or just stupid, Bob? 

The problem is that these days it is just too risky to play for a 0-0 result. Because of the pace the game is played at and changes in the structure of the footballs now being used, you are always likeley to get hit with a sucker punch from 30 or 40 yards out (as against Derby) and the team you have put out can't switch to all out attack. The amount of stunning goals we now see are becoming commonplace and no defence will stop them.

The only way to defend is to defend in the opponents half and to keep them in their own half means that you need to be attacking them

Someone should take the fat man aside, sit him down with a pie and a glass of ale to settle him down. Then they should give him a broad overview of what happened last year to Newcastle in the UEFA Cup when we were booted out.

Playing to win at home = 4-2 win, fans very happy.

Playing for the 0-0 draw away = 2-0 loss, Roeder lost all remaining fans on his side. Roeder booted shortly thereafter.

1. Newcastle fans will simply not accept playing for 0-0 draws

2. Playing for 0-0 draws NEVER works.

Play to keep a clean sheet, fine. But if you don't have a plan to go forward and put goals away you concede the running of the game to the opposition. Frankly HTL and everyone else is right, if he continues in this way he will rightfully get booted next May.

Guest Reading Fan

I can guaruntee that if Newcastle had played to their strengths and attacked Reading you would have won.

There is no way our defence would have coped with Martins raw pace and Owens amazing movement if they had been given the service.

Better players will always win if they play to their strengths. Newcastle were daft on Saturday by coming to Reading of all places and trying to play in a way that your players are clearly not comfortable with. There was no reason for it. I hope Sam will sort it out.

I used to think that Big Sam was clever getting a team like Bolton to punch above their weight. But he needs to now adapt because he is playing in a different weight now. There is no need to play the same stifling tactics when you have better players.

I can guaruntee that if Newcastle had played to their strengths and attacked Reading you would have won.

There is no way our defence would have coped with Martins raw pace and Owens amazing movement if they had been given the service.

Better players will always win if they play to their strengths. Newcastle were daft on Saturday by coming to Reading of all places and trying to play in a way that your players are clearly not comfortable with. There was no reason for it. I hope Sam will sort it out.

I used to think that Big Sam was clever getting a team like Bolton to punch above their weight. But he needs to now adapt because he is playing in a different weight now. There is no need to play the same stifling tactics when you have better players.

you seem to know more about us than some of our own fans do.

Really?

I think you knew what he meant.

Why is everyone so sure we should have beat them if we would play attacking football? One of the biggest problem in the match was the defence and to start play even more offensive Reading would have even more space to counter-attack.

Guest Brewcastle

And why did Reading finish above us in the league last season? -OK, we had a terrible season with injuries etc. But in my opinion Reading did better than anyone expected because they didn't compromise how to play. They played their style, and got a good season out of that. With the squad Sam have in command, he should be Boss enough to do the same  :knuppel2:

Guest Reading Fan

you seem to know more about us than some of our own fans do.

Well, I've seen Reading get thumped a few times this season. And the one thing that has always been consistent when Reading have been thumped this season is the quality of the opposition attack.

Pompey who put 7 past us had Benjani & Utaka.

West Ham who put three past us had Bellamy.

Bolton who put 3 past us had Anelka and Diouf

Blackburn who smashed 4 in had McCarthy

Newcastle had Martins and Owen. I was fully expecting another rout.

But due to the negativity of Big Sam's tactics it didn't happen. It really should have happened but it didn't.

The teams who lost to us didn't particularly have good strikers. Wigan (No Heskey he was injured), Everton, Derby (toothless) & surprisingly Newcastle.

I was fully expecting to lose that game. I really was!

But never mind.

As long as Sam learns. But I'm starting to wonder if he will. Because this is just typical Sam. This is how he did things with Bolton.

His style will always secure a top 8 finish. But will it break into the top 4? I suppose it can do, because Mourinho played something similar for Chelsea. But Chelsea did it with better players. Although I don't think Chelsea played to their strengths. They played within Mourinho's image. Now that Jose has gone, Chelsea are starting to play more to their strengths.

I think Newcastle should be looking to steam roller teams like Reading, Derby, Bolton, Wigan, Sunderland, Fulham, Brum. Your players are clearly alot better than all these teams.

And I know how Reading play. And I know that if Newcastles players wanted it badly enough and they clearly didn't. And I know that if they played to their strengths they definitely would have won. Reading haven't beaten any big 4 teams yet. And thats because they just steam roller us. Newcastle should have done the same. I'm just surprised thats all. I'd like Sam to be alot more positive.

Guest Sniffer

Why am I sure we'd beat reading playing attacking football?

Nothing is for sure, but how about the fact they've conceded 20 odd goals  so far this season?

I doubt if many teams will follow fat sam's approach and play for a draw.