Platini hits out at Wenger youth policy.

Parky

Guest jimmy1982

I doubt if the French league was awash with money and Wenger was manager of St Etienne and buying up the cream of European talent we'd hear anything from Platini about this.

This sort of thing has gone on for ages - how old was Aaron hughes when we brought him over from NI? 17? 16?

Man U got George Best, arguably the greatest European player ever, when he was still a bairn. Should they have left him for a few years so that he could help one of the Belfast clubs for a few years, and risk someone else coming in for him? They got Beckam from London, maybe they should have given West Ham first dibs on him, just to be fair. Shame on Leeds for pinching John Charles from Swansea when he was only seventeen as well.

As others have said, Wenger just seems to be the best at this at the moment (he must have some canny scouts as well). When he retires some other club might start snapping them up before Arsenal. Might be Marseille - wonder if Platini will still be worried then.

To be fair the Bentleys and Upsons never got much of a chance however they've managed to prove themselves elsewhere.

I don't think any of them were good enough for Arsenal or right for his system. No point flogging a dead horse, he moved them on and they haven't suffered for going to Arsenal. They were given a good footballing education and are playing in the Premier League now. Sidwell is another example. Can you imagine the day when our academy rejects are players like these? I assume Newcastle are the type of club Platini goes for, buying average players for top prices while being seen as a graveyard for talent (Hugo Viana, anyone?).

Not true. Upson was directly replaced by Pascal Cygan, a simply terrible defender.

Who has been the better player for the last 16 months, Rosicky or Bentley?

Neither were given the chance or it seems shown that they were valuable players.

Guest johnnyappleseed

bentley isn't in rosicky's class.

and george weah is another that wenger discovered and developed. the man is a genius.

I'd say Upson, who I rate(d) as a good player, especially before his injury problems probably wasn't good enough for Arsenal (if you know what I mean). Neither was Cygan but I assume Wenger thought he was a lot better than he turned out to be. I think definitely Bentley wasn't given a chance and has shown since he possibly was good enough.

To be fair the Bentleys and Upsons never got much of a chance however they've managed to prove themselves elsewhere.

I don't think any of them were good enough for Arsenal or right for his system. No point flogging a dead horse, he moved them on and they haven't suffered for going to Arsenal. They were given a good footballing education and are playing in the Premier League now. Sidwell is another example. Can you imagine the day when our academy rejects are players like these? I assume Newcastle are the type of club Platini goes for, buying average players for top prices while being seen as a graveyard for talent (Hugo Viana, anyone?).

Not true. Upson was directly replaced by Pascal Cygan, a simply terrible defender.

Neither were given the chance or it seems shown that they were valuable players.

I don't think any of them were good enough for Arsenal and I'm sure their fans would agree. I'd also say Rosicky is a better player than Bentley and certainly more suited to Arsenal's style of play. Cygan was a mistake, but that doesn't make Upson a champions league quality defender.

Guest jimmy1982

Nobody's ever going to have a 100% success rate when it comes to recognising which players are going to turn out good. There's just too many uncontrollable variables that affect how a player will develop through late teens and early twenties. Who would have thought JDT would be a success on the basis of what we saw when he was here? Bobby Robson identified that Bellamy was Premier League class - that was a masterstroke. By contrast he signed Viana, who you'd have thought was as near to a nailed on certainty as a young foreigner could be, given that he was European Young Footballer of the Year, but that didn't work out. There must a have been a canny few scouts and managers who passed up on Les Ferdinand when he was a youngun for him still to be playing for Hayes in his early twenties. Looks like you could say Wenger possibly has made a mistake with Bentley (although who would you back to help you win a Champions League tie against one of Europe's big teams, Bentley or Rosicky?), but as Ohmelads said Bentley might well admit that he wouldn't be the player he is without Wenger. 

I don't think any of them were good enough for Arsenal and I'm sure their fans would agree. I'd also say Rosicky is a better player than Bentley and certainly more suited to Arsenal's style of play. Cygan was a mistake, but that doesn't make Upson a champions league quality defender.

Altho he was gash at Arsenal, he (Cygan) is doing alreet at Villareal.

Still never gave either of them a chance, he was prepared to give Cygan a chance even though he was some 28 year old, slow as owt ball head.

From what I saw Rosicky was fabulous at Dortmund but from the 12+ months he's been at Arsenal he's nowt special. Bentley has a great first touch; good short, crisp passing and has the pace and skill to beat a man. His final ball and decision making is also better than Rosicky. I'd say he does fit in with the Arsenal style of play.

I'd also assume Bentley has scored more Premiership goals than Rosicky within the same time span. Rosicky isn't clearly a level above Bentley imo, i'd probably give Bentley the edge.

With Bergkamp, Pires & Ljungberg getting old and succumbing to several injuries Wenger didn't have much faith in his ability to give him a decent crack at the whip which is why he left.

Still never gave either of them a chance, he was prepared to give Cygan a chance even though he was some 28 year old, slow as owt ball head.

From what I saw Rosicky was fabulous at Dortmund but from the 12+ months he's been at Arsenal he's nowt special. Bentley has a great first touch; good short, crisp passing and has the pace and skill to beat a man. His final ball and decision making is also better than Rosicky. I'd say he does fit in with the Arsenal style of play.

I'd also assume Bentley has scored more Premiership goals than Rosicky within the same time span. Rosicky isn't clearly a level above Bentley imo, i'd probably give Bentley the edge.

With Bergkamp, Pires & Ljungberg getting old and succumbing to several injuries Wenger didn't have much faith in his ability to give him a decent crack at the whip which is why he left.

Bentley still had a fully flying Ljungberg and Pires ahead of him when he left, had he waited another season he probably would've got a fair chance, he was also playing as a Bergkamp type player and not a wide man when he was at Arsenal which may have hampered his chances.

the likes of Bentley, Sidwell, Harper, Upson and Pennant haven't exactly suffered from Arsenal's policy, the club turned them into good players even if they had to make their names elsewhere in the league. i can see where platini is coming from when it comes to pinching foreign youngsters, but wenger isn't doing it in an irresponsible manner like Chelsea, who you feel are just hoarding talent so other clubs cannot get at it, rather than wanting to develop the kids in the particular ethos of the club.

the likes of Bentley, Sidwell, Harper, Upson and Pennant haven't exactly suffered from Arsenal's policy, the club turned them into good players even if they had to make their names elsewhere in the league. i can see where platini is coming from when it comes to pinching foreign youngsters, but wenger isn't doing it in an irresponsible manner like Chelsea, who you feel are just hoarding talent so other clubs cannot get at it, rather than wanting to develop the kids in the particular ethos of the club.

Good point.

I guess I don't rate Bentley as highly as some do, but the important point is the one jonnypd has just made that these players have not suffered by starting out at Arsenal. All are playing in the Premier League. If Wenger was signing up young talent and letting it go to waste then he could be accused of acting against the interests of the game, but from what I can see he does nothing of the sort.

Guest Arsenal Ref

Of course you could just make it easy for young English players by not allowing teams to buy young foreign players. They'd have no reason to try and improve as they'd be gaurenteed an easy ride without any competition, but at least it'd make some people happy.  :rolleyes:

Wenger is the best talent spotter about, not only that, he gets the very best out of them. If he keeps his current squad together they can be a top club for many seasons to come.

Every manager tries to sign the top young talent out there its just Wenger seems to be able to do better than most.

Agreed - even if Platini had his way(which he won't - the big clubs are too powerful), Wenger would STILL be a great manager & work the system to his advantage - unlike NUFC, whose Academy side, run by Kenny Wharton, is currently a disgrace...

Guest ryunufc

Wenger does not simply gather youngsters from around europe. He recruits those he believe can adjust to his playing style, because the older players probably cannot do that better. When he found older players like Hleb, Rosicky, Gilberto ,Adebayor and confident that they can fit in right away, he is not afraid to pay good sum for them. IMO, Wenger has done more positive than negative things to football. However, I also agree with Platini that there has to be a better system to give enough credits to the clubs where these youngsters came from.  Afterall it is his job to find the solution.