England's World Cup bid, St James' and those stupid listed buildings.

danswan
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

chez mentioned pevsner who is the foremost european architectural historian of the past century, when he visited newcastle in the 60s he considered leazes terrace to be a "masterpiece" and "perhaps the most important housing of its time anywhere in northern england" or words to that effect. it's also grade 1 listed which is as high as it gets so there's more chance of Grey street (which is grade 2 listed) getting demolished. if we extend the gallowgate we'd be at 61,000 and that is big enough for us, so it isn't neccessary to knock a nice building down.

chez mentioned pevsner who is the foremost european architectural historian of the past century, when he visited newcastle in the 60s he considered leazes terrace to be a "masterpiece" and "perhaps the most important housing of its time anywhere in northern england" or words to that effect. it's also grade 1 listed which is as high as it gets so there's more chance of Grey street (which is grade 2 listed) getting demolished. if we extend the gallowgate we'd be at 61,000 and that is big enough for us, so it isn't neccessary to knock a nice building down.

:clap: But that STILL won't stop the assorted braindead mongs still calling for the demolition of Leazes Terrace.

:clap: But that STILL won't stop the assorted braindead mongs still calling for the demolition of Leazes Terrace.

Roger that!

Smash the fuckers ;)

I can guarantee something, they will be smashed one day. Time has a habit of doing that.

Yeah, I can't see them lasting for ever. Have you thought about writing quatrains mate? ;)

Guest jimmy1982

Would absolutely love it if MA is planning to apply his Sports Direct philosophy to SJP and just pile as many cheap seats in as possible - works a treat in places like Dortmund and Marseille.

Also agree that those buildings shouldn't be knocked down. Newcastle city centre is one of the nicest in Britain (thinking about big cities here, not the likes of Bath, Oxford etc) despite the best efforts of T Dan Smith, and having SJP sprouting up from the middle of those old buildings is pretty unique. It'd be a crying shame if everything was just flattened to make way for the gound - we might as well just go and build a 100,000 seater on the Silverlink nest to the coast road in that case.

Any expansion should be done in the Gallowgate, although I'd be pretty worried that it'd be detrimental to the atmoshpere there. Me and my brothers got our seat moved to the Gallowgate at the start of this season after having it in the Leazes ever since the last expansion, and the noise is miles and miles better. I don't know much about acoustics but it seems sensible to assume this is because of the lower roof, keeping all the sound in and letting it reverberate.

Whenever I think about that last expansion I alsways regret how they didn't make the Leazes and Milburn more steeply sloping like alot of the grounds in Spain.

If the government are to do anything with those buildings then they should get the students out and put the buildings to proper good use, listed buildings filled with students is ridiculous.

SJP could do with more seats IMO, if you fill your ground every home game then why not expand? I think however the old plans to raise the Gallowgate should be brought back into play, the Gallowgate is perfect for us at the minute as its only a small increase, if we dont sell out we will only have a few thousand empty, maybe 4 or 5 thousand, where as if we raised the whole ground and it didnt fill we would have about 10 thousand empty at least which would be horrific IMO.

IF a time comes were we need more than about 60 thousand seats then surely the East Stand could raise up and not out like some stands on the continent.

If the government are to do anything with those buildings then they should get the students out and put the buildings to proper good use, listed buildings filled with students is ridiculous.

SJP could do with more seats IMO, if you fill your ground every home game then why not expand? I think however the old plans to raise the Gallowgate should be brought back into play, the Gallowgate is perfect for us at the minute as its only a small increase, if we dont sell out we will only have a few thousand empty, maybe 4 or 5 thousand, where as if we raised the whole ground and it didnt fill we would have about 10 thousand empty at least which would be horrific IMO.

IF a time comes were we need more than about 60 thousand seats then surely the East Stand could raise up and not out like some stands on the continent.

The Government don't own those buildings, so it's got nowt to do with them. What do you propose they should be housing?

We've not sold out SJP once this season btw.

The Government don't own those buildings, so it's got nowt to do with them. What do you propose they should be housing?

We've not sold out SJP once this season btw.

Thats because of the dross we have had to put up with, with Roeder and Souness, better times are ahead and those who faded away will come back.

As for the buildings, im not sure tbh, surely something better than students? Knock a few walls down, make a small museum or art gallery or something.

I'm not sure that Leazes Terrace is the problem, a few houses are closer to the ground, I'm not sure if they're Terrace Place or St James Street, they run at 90' to Leazes Terrace.

I'm surprised we didn't try to do something with the Milburn when that was built, it should have been built closer to Barrack Road.

All the arguments on here point to relocation being the best option in the long term.

Was going to mention that myself.

We should have looked for another location when the castle leazes application was turned down, not worth moving now though.

I'm not sure that Leazes Terrace is the problem, a few houses are closer to the ground, I'm not sure if they're Terrace Place or St James Street, they run at 90' to Leazes Terrace.

I'm surprised we didn't try to do something with the Milburn when that was built, it should have been built closer to Barrack Road.

Trouble with stadium developments is that often those paying for it see it as their long term legacy, and dont take into consideration any capacity changes that maybe needed in the future once they've gone.

All the arguments on here point to relocation being the best option in the long term.

Relocation of Leazes Terrace? Or of the whole club? I suspect (hope) you mean the latter.

The latter.

Ah, I retract my earlier comment in that case.

Personally I don't see the problem, we are not desperate for a new stadium nor are we likely to be in the foreseeable future.

If you're slightly detached from reality perhaps.

Stadium changes/relocations often seem to face heated discussion amongst fans, so no changes are going to satisfy everyone.

In that sense their are no ultimate rights or wrongs here, just opinions.

Relocation of Leazes Terrace? Or of the whole club? I suspect (hope) you mean the latter.

The latter.

Personally I don't see the problem, we are not desperate for a new stadium nor are we likely to be in the foreseeable future.

Then I retract my reply.

I'd agree to leave it as it is for now, but demand will increase eventually, for Newcastle is a thriving city right now, and the most important thing about a stadium for me is that everyone who wants to watch gets to watch.

The latter.

The fact that we play in virtually the city centre makes us special as a club. I would abhor having to play our games in a identikit stadium on an Industrial Estate in the middle of nowhere. And I don't care if it could seat 80,000 or whatever.

The latter.

The fact that we play in virtually the city centre makes us special as a club. I would abhor having to play our games in a identikit stadium on an Industrial Estate in the middle of nowhere. And I don't care if it could seat 80,000 or whatever.

:thup:

Let's get things right on the pitch anyway before we start thinking about increasing capacity. Liverpool and Arsenal are doing/have done it, fair enough, but they're both established big guns who you can't see dropping out of that bracket in the near future. We're still a yo-yo club at the moment. If we finish 14th again and have 20,000 empty seats, we'll just look stupid.