Steve McClaren

Dave

Statistically its been a poor start for him but it really is a case of the statistics are lying. Not only about the football and the organisation, but the attitude and the professionalism off the park, its all adding up.

I really do think his bad experiences have played a part in what we are seeing already, and im sure with the right support from the board he can make us respectable again.

SJP is a totally different place right now, i feel it calling me back.

It is. I went thanks to a mate who has a season ticket not being able to go. There was much more of an atmosphere, almost like it used to be, so much positivity despite everything else going on.

I was impressed with him today, when he went to the dugout he was very active in his encouragement, motivation and management of the players. Lots of 'get out', 'keep it', 'get closer', 'pass pas pass' comments and at the end, acknowledging the crowd, he made all the players and staff clap all four stands.

I thought he got his subs spot on as well, in terms of timing and the players he brought on. Tactically we look far superior to Pardew's Newcastle and I thought we played some decent football at times, especially from the back.

I like seeing our keeper pass it out rather than boot it out and I like seeing our team, despite being down to 10 men, not crumble, look solid and have good spells of movement and threat.

We badly need a decent left-back though and it has to be one of either Anita or Colback, not both as they are both very similar and got in the way of one another at times.

We started the game badly though, too many long balls early on and too much ball watching. We also need to strengthen. We need a LB and another striker, preferably one with mobility and pace to get in behind. Mitrovic looks clumsy and one paced.

The red was harsh, as it was a clumsy tackle and not an intentional reckless one. That said, his studs connected so it was one of those that could easily be given and that's exactly what happened.

He needs to calm down like.

Back to the match, Pardew would have subbed of Thauvin after we went down to 10 and that's what I thought McClaren would have done, but he seems to trust his players a lot more. He's no striker, but keeping him on in that kind of role shows confidence in his player from the manager, trusting he can still do a job.

Good stuff and there were lots of promising signs.

However its a results business and we need to start winning. We cannot be down there come January fighting a relegation battle.

Nice to read, mate. Especially given what you've been saying about him over the last few weeks. Did you change your mind after you watch the team play?

Shite refereeing or otherwise, that's now 14 yellows and two red cards in just five matches. And loads of them for pointless fouls in non-threatening positions. He needs to sort the discipline out.

Shite refereeing or otherwise, that's now 14 yellows and two red cards in just five matches. And loads of them for pointless fouls in non-threatening positions. He needs to sort the discipline out.

The side don't seem particularly aggressive. It's not like they're Sunderland trying to kick the opposition off the pitch. A lot of it is clumsy and bad fitness IMO. Needs to be stamped out either way if you'll excuse the pun.

The side don't seem particularly aggressive. It's not like they're Sunderland trying to kick the opposition off the pitch. A lot of it is clumsy and bad fitness IMO. Needs to be stamped out either way if you'll excuse the pun.

Might be just that we're trying to press more than in previous years and we're not good at it. Sharpness will come I'm sure but it needs work.

Again, shows up our pitiful pre-season if you ask me.

Got absolutely no doubt that we'll lose a few first-teamers for the derby because they'll pick up their 5th yellow in the game prior. It's written.

s**** refereeing or otherwise, that's now 14 yellows and two red cards in just five matches. And loads of them for pointless fouls in non-threatening positions. He needs to sort the discipline out.

Got absolutely no doubt that we'll lose a few first-teamers for the derby because they'll pick up their 5th yellow in the game prior. It's written.

Imagine Mitrovic in the derby... Oh dear oh dear haha.

I've got to say, I was vaguely happy with SM's appointment given the fucking alternative and I've more good than bad to say about him relating to our start to the season. However, I just can't get fully on board with a lot of the optimism on here right now. There are still massive gaps in the squad and apparently no appetite to remedy them. When we push up and try to win games our defence will be shown up for exactly what it is and our only decent bet for PL goals is probably going to be off before September. We're still massively lacking a cutting edge and I do worry where we'll be in the table in a month or so.

I've got to say, I was vaguely happy with SM's appointment given the fucking alternative and I've more good than bad to say about him relating to our start to the season. However, I just can't get fully on board with a lot of the optimism on here right now. There are still massive gaps in the squad and apparently no appetite to remedy them. When we push up and try to win games our defence will be shown up for exactly what it is and our only decent bet for PL goals is probably going to be off before September. We're still massively lacking a cutting edge and I do worry where we'll be in the table in a month or so.

I think a lot of people are happy to see a bit of positivity instead of the absolute dross we've suffered for many a year now.

I think what's making Mclaren look so good is the fact what's come before has been so bad.

Guest neesy111

I don't think we could have realistically done much better in this transfer window like. OK, say my expectations have been lowered or whatever, but I believe we've had a good summer.

It's a good summer, but not perfect.

I can't believe some on here - he is making the most stupid decision in playing Anita and Colback together and he is getting praised when it is quite blatantly having a detrimental effect on the team in an attacking sense. As long as he plays those two at the same time in the middle of the pitch then no one can really give him any praise for such a basic error.