Point about St James Atmosphere

Guest firetotheworks

Guest mobiius

Just been on SkySportsNews about noisiest fans (average decibels).

Sunderland 129.2

Tottenham 128.2

Man City 127.4

Aston Villa 126.5

Everton 126.1

Chelsea 125.8

Middlesbrough 125.4

Derby 124.7

Newcastle 124.5

West Ham 123.8

Now Portsmouth don't even make the top 10 and Middlesbrough are 7th?

That reminds me of the saying "an empty vessel makes most noise" and before someone  posts to remind me that the scum fill their ground i'm referring to the empty heads in it

Cant sleep so I thought Id raise a topic about a thought I had lately.

A couple of weeks ago I went to Barcelona for my birthday. On one of the nights we were there we went to See Barcelona VS Almeria.

Not a huge match I know, but it was a full house of 120 odd thousand, Ronaldinho, Henry, Xavi, Iniesta, Gudjohnnsen and Messi all played at some point. Barca won 2-0 and played some outstanding passing football. You'd expect some noise, yes?

I can honestly say hand on heart that it was quieter than our 0-0 draw against Villa at St. James. When I was at that match I thought the atmosphere was shit, but in fairness, so was the game. I went to the Neu camp expecting at least the level of noise at St.James, but Barcelona's home crowd dont really make any noise unless theres a chance, even if they're dominating and playing some incredible stuff. If youre a Barca fan then you're probably spoilt by expecting that kind of football, but there was no singing or chanting or anything like that, at all.

Im not saying that because a club that is much bigger in stature than us is quiet as a door mouse that we shouldnt try and raise our noise levels. But its also worth pointing out that we may be louder than we thought. Maybe it takes going away and coming back to realise that. Ive never been to an away game so I was curious to see if any have the same kind of outlook, or if the general consensus is that our home atmosphere is shite and that it must just be a Barca thing?

Section of terracing, with controlled capacity and on a ticket basis if necessary, badly needed. Nothing too thought provoking for the powers that be, but whether they will do it is unlikely. At least in the forseeable future.

Thats a good point!I was at the nou camp last September and they were playing Seville which was a big enough game at the time!There wasn a great atmosphere but in saying that there seemed to be a fair of bit singing behind the goals where ther season ticket holders would be!Thing abt the nou camp is alot of the fans that go there these days are tourists similar to Manure

Guest Brewcastle

Just been on SkySportsNews about noisiest fans (average decibels).

That reminds me of the saying "an empty vessel makes most noise" and before someone  posts to remind me that the scum fill their ground i'm referring to the empty heads in it

;D

Just been on SkySportsNews about noisiest fans (average decibels). Source was 118118 Survey.

Sunderland 129.2

Tottenham 128.2

Man City 127.4

Aston Villa 126.5

Everton 126.1

Chelsea 125.8

Middlesbrough 125.4

Derby 124.7

Newcastle 124.5

West Ham 123.8

Birmingham 122.7

Arsenal 122.3

Portsmouth 120.9

Blackburn 119.5

Bolton 119.1

Liverpool 118.9

Man Utd 117.5

Wigan 116.8

Reading 116.2

Fulham 115.4

Now Portsmouth don't even make the top 10, Middlesbrough are 7th and Liverpool in 16th?

Middlesbrough???????

Not again...

what do you mean not again

Why does the bloke try to pick faults with people who try to create an atmosphere...

If it wasn't for the Gallowgate there wouldn't be an atmosphere this season.

Yes the i know the 'Ultras' sing, as i sit in the North West Corner of the Leazes but the songs that go around the ground are nearly always started from the Gallowgate

That's because of accoustics, the Gallowgate are by far the most influential stand, however they aren't very frequent and only seem to sing about 3 different songs. 

I think i might be fickle and try a Leazes Level 7 seat next time, to get nearer to the Ultras. After the Arsenal game i was all "i'm never sitting anywhere but the Gallowgate ever again ever ever!", but i might end up towards the right hand side of it again like i was for City, where apparantely it's always dead.

I think i might be fickle and try a Leazes Level 7 seat next time, to get nearer to the Ultras. After the Arsenal game i was all "i'm never sitting anywhere but the Gallowgate ever again ever ever!", but i might end up towards the right hand side of it again like i was for City, where apparantely it's always dead.

How dare you! I sing my knackers off down in the front row of the right Gallowgate :undecided:

L7 is the place to be, though, and it's where I'll sit for cup games. I don't mind the charva element too much as it's just good being involved in the constant chanting/support and bantering with the away fans.

When there was terracing you could stand with your mates, and like minded lunatics, and sing and shout yourselves hoarse.If, or usually when, the opposition scored , we sang louder. We would not let the away fans out sing us - it was a point of honour( I know that sounds ponsey but it is true)

The advent of seating and enforced season tickets meant you were sat beside strangers,people you didn't like,women and kids.That is what has killed the atmosphere in the EPL.It still exists in the lower leagues.

Guest jimmy1982

A couple of weeks ago I went to Barcelona for my birthday. On one of the nights we were there we went to See Barcelona VS Almeria.

Not a huge match I know, but it was a full house of 120 odd thousand, Ronaldinho, Henry, Xavi, Iniesta, Gudjohnnsen and Messi all played at some point. Barca won 2-0 and played some outstanding passing football. You'd expect some noise, yes?

I can honestly say hand on heart that it was quieter than our 0-0 draw against Villa at St. James. When I was at that match I thought the atmosphere was s***, but in fairness, so was the game. I went to the Neu camp expecting at least the level of noise at St.James, but Barcelona's home crowd dont really make any noise unless theres a chance, even if they're dominating and playing some incredible stuff. If youre a Barca fan then you're probably spoilt by expecting that kind of football, but there was no singing or chanting or anything like that, at all.

Im not saying that because a club that is much bigger in stature than us is quiet as a door mouse that we shouldnt try and raise our noise levels. But its also worth pointing out that we may be louder than we thought. Maybe it takes going away and coming back to realise that. Ive never been to an away game so I was curious to see if any have the same kind of outlook, or if the general consensus is that our home atmosphere is s**** and that it must just be a Barca thing?

Section of terracing, with controlled capacity and on a ticket basis if necessary, badly needed. Nothing too thought provoking for the powers that be, but whether they will do it is unlikely. At least in the forseeable future.

I agree, but a problem is always going to be how to re-locate the people with season tickets already in the area that the propsed terracing will be. Also, doesn't the Taylor report say that we're actually not legally allowed any terracing anymore? I'm not sure because I've never read it but I thought that was the top and bottom of it. I know certan clubs like Man City have got around the sitting down in certain sections of the ground, but they still have seats in those sections.

Guest The Corner

A job at the Nou Camp for the  El Toonio Ultrios.

;D ;D ;D ;D

if it wasn't for level 7 this season then the atmosphere would be dead

what is your problem with the toon ultras

The Corner and the back of the Gallowgate make the most 'significant' noise, fair play yous go for it for the majority of the game, but so does the corner

;D ;D ;D ;D

The Corner and the back of the Gallowgate make the most 'significant' noise, fair play yous go for it for the majority of the game, but so does the corner

Where do you sit?

I can honestly say hand on heart that it was quieter than our 0-0 draw against Villa at St. James. When I was at that match I thought the atmosphere was s***, but in fairness, so was the game. I went to the Neu camp expecting at least the level of noise at St.James, but Barcelona's home crowd dont really make any noise unless theres a chance, even if they're dominating and playing some incredible stuff. If youre a Barca fan then you're probably spoilt by expecting that kind of football, but there was no singing or chanting or anything like that, at all.

Im not saying that because a club that is much bigger in stature than us is quiet as a door mouse that we shouldnt try and raise our noise levels. But its also worth pointing out that we may be louder than we thought. Maybe it takes going away and coming back to realise that. Ive never been to an away game so I was curious to see if any have the same kind of outlook, or if the general consensus is that our home atmosphere is s**** and that it must just be a Barca thing?

I agree, but a problem is always going to be how to re-locate the people with season tickets already in the area that the propsed terracing will be. Also, doesn't the Taylor report say that we're actually not legally allowed any terracing anymore? I'm not sure because I've never read it but I thought that was the top and bottom of it. I know certan clubs like Man City have got around the sitting down in certain sections of the ground, but they still have seats in those sections.

We aren't allowed any non seating areas. That is correct. What I mean, is the authorities have to realise that this is unnecessary or be convinced of it.

Money talks though. And the Champions League talks too. Its unbelievable a club like Reading thinks the FA Cup is not even worthy of playing your best players.

Sign of the times. As for Steve Coppell being an "intelligent manager", he couldn't take the pressure at Man City, and if he really was prepared to throw away the FA Cup, then he's a fuckwit of the highest order

Terracing is banned.

How have Man City got around standing? I seem to remember hearing they had a singing section at COMS.

"Since the all-seater era, with games mainly sold out to season ticket holders since the ground was redeveloped, some games are great - if the team puts on a performance and everybody's up for it," says Mark Jensen, editor of Newcastle fanzine The Mag.

"But there isn't one significant part of the ground where the atmosphere starts, which used to happen in the old days, when people would congregate.

"You have a group of 10 or so lads drinking in the city centre and singing as they make their way to the ground, but when they get there, three go that way, three go the other, and four drift off on their own.

"There is a great atmosphere in the pubs, but it doesn't continue inside the ground."

Jensen also jovially points out, without any negativity, that the broader demographic of modern football has quite naturally diluted some of its boisterous force.

"These lads get inside and they are sat next to a granny or a couple with kids. At the minute there isn't a natural way for people that are like-minded to be together."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/low/football/eng_prem/7168641.stm

Guest jimmy1982

Terracing is banned.

How have Man City got around standing? I seem to remember hearing they had a singing section at COMS.

Supposedly in the singing section people are allowed to stand for the whole match because, after the Taylor report you are allowed to stand "only in times of excitement" or something like that, ie. when one of our players gets through one on one everyone gets out of their seats. So what Man City have done is said that if you are singing you must be excited, therefore you are allowed to stand while singing, in the singing section. That is what I've been told anyway - I've yet to make it to COMS to see it for myself. It's not terracing and you still have to sand in front of your own seat I would have thought, but it's one way of getting around, it to a degree.

Guest The Corner

;D ;D ;D ;D

Where do you sit?

The famous corner, dont get me wrong am not trying to say SJPs atmosphere is jumping, but there are people outside the toon ultras who still try to get an atmosphere going