Most important derby in recent years?

Decky

Both teams are using this season to start their new eras, huge sections of both fans believe than they are on the up and both are desperate to show it by beating their rivals. However looking at the season so far, Keane and Sunderland are desperate to get up and running and will see this as a genuine chance to get going, Newcastle on the other hand havent won away since the first day of the season and after 1-0 at Derby, 2-1 Reading and 4-1 Portsmouth a defeat on Saturday is really unthinkable and should it happen our new era will stink of our old one. For me i havent been this nervous for a game since the Sporting game a few years ago and even then i dont think i was this nervous, me not being a local lad over in Newcastle i cant imagine what it must be like over there. Is this the most important derby and even the most important game we have had for a while?

Yknow, i was just thinking i've never been less hyped for a SOL derby.  I think it's partly because it's near the start of the season so we don't know what it means.

The first 2 years, the mackems had beaten us at St. James so we had to ensure they didn't do a double, and aim to get revenge.

The next year we were doing really well, pushing for CL and had a slight chance of going for the title, while sunderland were hanging around relegation.

The next year, again, we were trying to ensure champions league football, were revelling in them being already relegated.  There only thing left was to beat us, so we had to make sure it didn't happen.

Next time, the relgatio thing was the same, we were making a late surge for europe which required winning nearly every game and it was Shearer's last derby.

I'm always so hyped for them.  This year, i'm looking forward to it/nervous more than your average game, but i've got nothing like the anticipation of previous years.  There's nothing happening, and i can't see it getting any better than last time.

No, it's too early in the season. I remember a 2-0 at St. James' during SBR's time that was more important in terms of us recovering from a dreadful start and going on to do something. Roeder's 4-1 was also probably more important in terms of us going on and clinching a place in Europe. This game, in the long run, will have a negligible impact on our season. On the other hand, it might be a big game for them because they're not likely to get many more points this season, are they?

No, it's too early in the season. I remember a 2-0 at St. James' during SBR's time that was more important in terms of us recovering from a dreadful start and going on to do something. Roeder's 4-1 was also probably more important in terms of us going on and clinching a place in Europe. This game, in the long run, will have a negligible impact on our season. On the other hand, it might be a big game for them because they're not likely to get many more points this season, are they?

Think you're underestimating this game a bit. This is immediately followed by the visits of Liverpool and Arsenal with a trip to in-form Blackburn in the middle. Thee games where we will go in as underdogs. If we don't take three points from this game there's a strong chance we will look back on it as a massive opportunity missed. Mess up this, and Liverpool and Arsenal could really put a dent in our season. It's a massive game for us.

It is a massive game in terms of local rivalry, but Arsenal and Liverpool will put a dent in our season anyhow :lol: so that's why I don't consider this game that crucial, especially this early into the season.

Obviously 3 points will be great, but we're what? 10 games into the season? The return fixture will be much much more important (because they'll be nearing relegation and we'll hopefully be contending for a place in Europe).

Its only november but i think if we win, they wont be able to stay up

if they win or draw they will keep the confidence and stay up

the players will lose their confidence if they lose and the fans wont be too happy, might sound daft, this is my reason why i think its important for them

It is a massive game in terms of local rivalry, but Arsenal and Liverpool will put a dent in our season anyhow :lol: so that's why I don't consider this game that crucial, especially this early into the season.

Obviously 3 points will be great, but we're what? 10 games into the season? The return fixture will be much much more important (because they'll be nearing relegation and we'll hopefully be contending for a place in Europe).

There's no way of knowing how the Arsenal and Liverpool games will go but like you I'm not full of confidence given the way the team is playing. That's why it's so important we bag 3 points this weekend (or at the very least don't lose), otherwise you're potentially looking at 6 defeats on the bounce and the season could implode. We've seen what happens when teams go on those kinds of runs, the players doubt themselves and/or doubt the manager, and it's difficult to pull things back on track.

f****** bricking it tbh.

coming from Chester-le-Street, I've spent my life in a "halfy-half" town, falling on the Mag side due to me dad. (who was born in Newcastle and raised in Chapel Park) and so on a day-to-day basis I have to mix with this lot, and many of my mates are season ticket holders at the stadium of s****.

For them to win would make their season, regardless if they go down.  They won't stop talking about it, they'll probably make a video of it, and t-shirts too.  My mates will have the goals on their phones, their iPods.  They'll call us crap, and bring the result up at every opportunity.  If we dare to mention the drubbings they've had in recent years they'll tell us we're living in the past, although they still clinch to their two 2-1's in the early 2000's.

mackems man - they're f****** delirious.  Fair enough the one's I know are smashing lads outside of talking about football, they could drink for England, but f*** me, when it comes to football I just want to f****** knock them into next week.

Therefore, at any point in history, to see them beat us, home or away, does not bear thinking about, nor is it acceptable.

f****** bricking it tbh.

coming from Chester-le-Street, I've spent my life in a "halfy-half" town, falling on the Mag side due to me dad. (who was born in Newcastle and raised in Chapel Park) and so on a day-to-day basis I have to mix with this lot, and many of my mates are season ticket holders at the stadium of s****.

For them to win would make their season, regardless if they go down.  They won't stop talking about it, they'll probably make a video of it, and t-shirts too.  My mates will have the goals on their phones, their iPods.  They'll call us crap, and bring the result up at every opportunity.  If we dare to mention the drubbings they've had in recent years they'll tell us we're living in the past, although they still clinch to their two 2-1's in the early 2000's.

mackems man - they're f****** delirious.  Fair enough the one's I know are smashing lads outside of talking about football, they could drink for England, but f*** me, when it comes to football I just want to f****** knock them into next week.

Therefore, at any point in history, to see them beat us, home or away, does not bear thinking about, nor is it acceptable.

I have the CLS dilemma, except I live in Newcastle now...with a mackem. I don't like this.

I'm gonna be shaking like a shitting dog on Saturday morning. I was alright last year cos they were that bad, even at one-down I thought we'd beat them but when we won 1-0 there a couple of year ago, Nobby penalty, I felt physically sick every second of the day until that final whistle went.

Think you're underestimating this game a bit. This is immediately followed by the visits of Liverpool and Arsenal with a trip to in-form Blackburn in the middle. Thee games where we will go in as underdogs. If we don't take three points from this game there's a strong chance we will look back on it as a massive opportunity missed. Mess up this, and Liverpool and Arsenal could really put a dent in our season. It's a massive game for us.

Totally agree - lose this, and we are under huge pressure over the next few weeks ; it could make or break the season and its almost(but not quite)in the same league as the SJP Derby which signalled the end for Gullit - I don't think Allardyce will go if we lose, not a chance, but it might be a different matter if we also lose the next 3 games and the team's confidence goes......

I'm gonna be shaking like a shitting dog on Saturday morning. I was alright last year cos they were that bad, even at one-down I thought we'd beat them but when we won 1-0 there a couple of year ago, Nobby penalty, I felt physically sick every second of the day until that final whistle went.

I genuinely felt physically sick when Shearer lined up for the pen the other year, and wasn't exactly cool for Nobby's either.  It sounds quite said :lol:

I have the CLS dilemma, except I live in Newcastle now...with a mackem. I don't like this.

yeah, I've escaped to Heaton for the purposes of uni, but I still come into contact with the fuckers on a day-to-day basis

It's like they've got diseases! :lol:

I dunno like, I'm currently living behind enemy lines for uni right now.........it can be a right struggle....Have my toon top in my drawer at the ready in case a burglar breaks in....

I hope the disease doesn't spread onto me, it'd be like that whole Spiderman 3 scene, except with a red sticky stuff overpowering my body........Mackemman 3......jesus..