them 1-1 Us - 10/11/07 - Official match thread (Post-match reaction from p15)

midds

i thought faye had a really good game, zog was ok as was enrique. owen looked quite good.

Enrique didn't put a foot wrong all game IMO.

:lol:

Subs should have been made earlier, Oba came on too late to do anything of worth. Overall though, it was the wrong team to start with.

Pathetic amount of kneejerkers present in this thread. I'm not happy with a lot of Sam's decisions (indeed I'm frankly baffled by a few of them) but I'm not calling for his head 12 games in. If we'd lost all 12 and were rooted at the bottom of the table á la Spurs under Jol then maybe I'd be more on the side of getting rid. See what shape we're in in a few games time. Bolton didn't get in the top 8 4 years in a row through luck.

Allardyce is far too negative, he only has himself to blame for feeding the kneejerkers.  How long does it take for the kneejerking to become valid?

Not many people in this thread calling for his head anyway, people have been pointing out his awful tactics and team selection though which they have every right to do.

Guest toonlass

I can imagine those who are calling for Big Sam's head are far better managers than him and have guided utter shite into Europe. Nope, thought not. While we continue to give managers 5 months to turn around the club that could have been the next Leeds we will never get anywhere. FFs grab yourself some patience and learn to relax.

When i first saw the team i was really annoyed - but looking back in hindsight, i don't think it was that incorrect. What was incorrect, was that he didn't change it. I thought that he'd started with the policy of just letting them come at us in the first half (which they did), and for us to go in at 0-0 with them fairly knackered (which we did). I thought then, that we'd bring on our pacy players, change the shape a bit, and try and win it.

That would have been a good tactic tbh - the starting line-up wasn't bad thinking at all i don't think.

But he didn't change it, and that's what's absolutely infuriating. He continued to play for a draw, at Sunderland, which is down right gutting tbh. They were playing well because they were up for it, but it's Sunderland man, they're fucking shite. We could have won that and it was obvious to see. If he'd changed it after we'd scored - taken Barton off for Enrique, pushed N'Zogbia up, brought Martins on - we would have won it. Beye improved us too so to change both the wing-backs would have been key.

But he didn't, he just sat back and let us draw. Needless. Starting line-up, i've got no major problems with, we weren't brilliant but we contained them. Faye was a beast, Smith was locked infront of the defense winning balls in the air, and we were fairly promising on the counter. But for him not to change it; for him not to try and win the game, was bloody infuriating.

Guest optimistic nit

i'm far from anti allardyce, but i naturally think i know a tiny bit about football (although not as much as sam obviously) and i would have only played harper, faye, emre and viduka in the positions he put them in, and when he started with what i thought was a highly questionable formation he didn't make the changes which i thought would work. he did make one, in the 82nd minute. the result today is actually better than i expected, but we still got the tactics wrong, we played shite.

Btw, what the f*** was Barton doing with the kung fu kick? He did better in the second half but I still can't get over that, what a moron. Needs to freaking control his temper or channel it into his performances.

I thought it was a well place tackle tbh  :celb:

I can imagine those who are calling for Big Sam's head are far better managers than him and have guided utter s**** into Europe. Nope, thought not. While we continue to give managers 5 months to turn around the club that could have been the next Leeds we will never get anywhere. FFs grab yourself some patience and learn to relax.

I'll give him time, but as i've said before, having time makes absolutely no difference in regards to team selection and tactics.  With the players we have at our disposal, we should never go into a match like sunderland away with such poor, negative tactics.  Am I a better manager then sam, of course not.  But would I shift players around to fit into some bullshit 4-3-3 type crap which takes away from any strengths this team actually has? Probably not, and from what I can tell, neither would the majority of the posters on here.  And his subsitutions are pretty crap too, considering the amount of grief Roeder got when he would make late changes.

Baffling team selections, players out of position, negative and naive tactics, inviting pressure on ourselves. For the mackems, read Reading or Derby. We're being battered by poor teams, Allardyce needs to sort it tbh. And fuck 'kneejerking', this is becoming a trend.

Pathetic amount of kneejerkers present in this thread. I'm not happy with a lot of Sam's decisions (indeed I'm frankly baffled by a few of them) but I'm not calling for his head 12 games in. If we'd lost all 12 and were rooted at the bottom of the table á la Spurs under Jol then maybe I'd be more on the side of getting rid. See what shape we're in in a few games time. Bolton didn't get in the top 8 4 years in a row through luck.

Allardyce is far too negative, he only has himself to blame for feeding the kneejerkers.  How long does it take for the kneejerking to become valid?

Not much longer, in my opinion. As I've said at least twice in this thread alone a lot of Sam's tactics and general decisions are too disjointed, confusing, and yes, negative. I don't for a minute think we're doing ok but I still think it's too early to be thinking about getting rid. We're still in the top half (for now at least), I only hope Sam can work things out. Changing manager this early on is dangerous territory as it is, especially with so many new players still developing here and settling in. It's not the best time to be a Toon supporter but to say (as someone did) that we were better off under Souness is just wrong in my opinion. On the other hand we're not worlds apart from how we were in those days which is worrying.

Btw, what the f*** was Barton doing with the kung fu kick? He did better in the second half but I still can't get over that, what a moron. Needs to freaking control his temper or channel it into his performances.

Pretty ridiculous, the only reason I can see is that he jumped like that in some sort of crazy defense of getting bowled over or something.  I don't know, pretty funny the way he was having a go at the Mackem players after though, having a sinister chuckle. 

Can't believe some people are bagging Viduka.

He's a brilliant hold up player, he drags the defenders away and we looked more threatening today than we have in either of the last 2 matches.

Michael Owen on the other hand? What does he do? Overrated piece of shit, start Martins, bench Owen. Easy sorted.

Anway:

Steve Harper - Didn't rate him for the goal to be honest. He came out, then stopped, and then just sort of lay down and let the ball go above him.

Steven Taylor - Was very good I thought. Provided great energy and run going forward, revelled in the atmosphere.

David Rozehnal - Very accomplished centre back, I'm always confident with him there.

Abdoulaye Faye - Another solid game from him. Not really his fault for the goal, yes he made an error, but it didnt result directly in the goal and the corner should've been dealt with.

Charles N'Zogbia - He's a left winger, didnt really get the chance to shine like he does at left wing. Still had a reasonable game.

Alan Smith - Didn't see him at all for the first 20 minutes, then worked his way into it and made a few vital challenges and interceptions.

Joey Barton - I actually thought he was decent. First half an hour he was disappointing, after that he started to find the ball and used it well the majority of the time.

James Milner - Dont really rate him on the left, he lacks skill for mine, struggles to take people on, but he did score our goal so I can't bag him too much.

Emre - First half he was probably our best player (well one of), second half he got back to his usual lazy self, didnt really chase or put much effort in.

Mark Viduka - As I said above, we need him.

Michael Owen - Again disappointing, looks disinterested really.

SUBS:

Habib Beye - Should never have been dropped. He's a gun, plain and simple.

Obafemi Martins - Why oh why only give him 10 minutes Sam? He did more in those 10 minutes than Owen did the entire game.

Geremi - N/A, not enough time spent on the pitch.

Guest optimistic nit

btw the ref was poor today. he's not the reason we didn't win, but the act that got viduka his bloody eye was exactly the same as the one taylor got booked for, yet no freekick, we also should have had a pen, and owen was never offside.

I can imagine those who are calling for Big Sam's head are far better managers than him and have guided utter s**** into Europe. Nope, thought not. While we continue to give managers 5 months to turn around the club that could have been the next Leeds we will never get anywhere. FFs grab yourself some patience and learn to relax.

We've been patiently waiting to win something for almost 40 years, we've been patiently waiting to win a domestic trophy for more than 50 years and it's getting closer to the 100 year mark since we won a league title, I would think an 80 year wait is quite a while to be able to claim we've been more than patient.

Not many people in this thread calling for his head anyway, people have been pointing out his awful tactics and team selection though which they have every right to do.

I didn't at any one point say there were many people calling for his head. Still too much that are in my opinion. For the 5th/6th time I'm as aware of his tactics and team selection as anyone else - just because I think it's still too early to get rid doesn't mean I'm oblivious to his many failings.

We hasent have sucess in over three years and now we even can´t wait for a few months! Why cat we give him time and see what happends (give him arund 2 years) because as I said we haven´t been good for years so can we atleast give our best manager in years time to chance things.

We've been patiently waiting to win something for almost 40 years, we've been patiently waiting to win a domestic trophy for more than 50 years and it's getting closer to the 100 year mark since we won a league title, I would think an 80 year wait is quite a while to be able to claim we've been more than patient.

So do you expect instant success from Sam then?

Guest optimistic nit

He did more in those 10 minutes than Owen did the entire game.

thats just incorrect. i thought owen looked very good today. great control for his shot on goal, and was never offside in the 20th odd minute. i would have brought martins on earlier, but you cant deny he did well when he had the chance, its just it was obvious he wasn't going to get enough chances to score. viduka imo was very poor today, much worse than owen, and i say this as a big viduka fan.

The save from owen i must have dreamt up then eh?

We were piss poor in the first half,slightly better in the second..

Ok...apart from that one .. :crazy2:

Maybe its to be expected from a derby but that was a pretty poor game and aside from a few exceptions - perhaps the Sunderland centre halves, Jones, and Nzogbia - a shitload of poor performances individually on both sides. (Barton was especially hopeless which delights me no end) You were lucky to get a point. They got a good goal, you got a fluke, they had other chances, you didnt. You looked a poor side really.

Agree with most of what you said, we looked decent playing for the tying goal, but nowt much else.  Sam still has my faith, but those tactics were shocking.  I hope he figures this team out sooner rather than later.

Also Specky, I seem to recall a certain Derby not too long ago where a team was thoroughly outplayed most of the match yet scrapped a win out due to some lucky bounces and Kasper The Ghost haunting the goal.  Nowt mentioning names, though.  ;)

tbf...we weren't playing Sunderland. And we won. So there. :p

Tbf I was expecting a pretty hopeless attacking performance with that midfield but also thought you were suprisingly iffy at the back. Thought Faye was dodgy apart from a few headers. There was one moment when he made a tackle on Chopra as he was running thru in space in the first half, but he was only in space and not miles offside because Faye was 15 yards behind the rest of the defence in dreamworld. Dug himself out of the hole there, poor for the goal too. Also thought Rozenhal was very iffy - for all his comfort on the ball he doesnt seem to know what to do when he's not got it - and i've never been a fan of Taylor. Very shakey performance defensively IMO - don't think Sam is doing himself any favours with all this chopping and changing, seems to be a new back 4 every week and you don't look that hot there. Got some sort of inverse Benitez thing going on at the back there, doesn't know his best back 4? No-one else seems to change their defence so much. And he signed most of em. Very strange. ???

Guest optimistic nit

not sams fault though is it. we've been waiting to win something under sam for around 4 months. previous history should count for nowt.

btw the ref was poor today. he's not the reason we didn't win, but the act that got viduka his bloody eye was exactly the same as the one taylor got booked for, yet no freekick, we also should have had a pen, and owen was never offside.

To be fair, the offsides aren't the referees decisions.

I didn't think he was that bad in the first half, however, in the second I thought they got lots of soft frees, and we couldn't buy one.

All the people criticising Viduka and Owen should be aware that they weren't exactly provided with lots of decent service today, as much to do with decent Sunderland defending as it was to do with poor quality from our midfielders.