Damien Duff

James

So, on that basis anyone who is over 27 is s**** and past it. Nice One!

?

Owen is still as good as he was at Real Madrid and Duff is still as good as he was at Chelsea.

In order to recreate the form they showed they need to be FULLY FIT and be utilised and managed properly.

FFS, anyone plays a few bad games for us (despite how fit they are) and they're labelled as s****.

Owen looks slower than the one we signed from Madrid. Damaged knee in the World Cup looks to have taken its toll on him, as it did with Shearer in 97. Nothing can be done about it, its not his fault, but im sure most people can see hes lost some pace in his game, which for the type of forward he is, he badly needs.

And yes, Duff is still as good as he was at Chelsea. Or more accurately, as bad. He was poor for them before we signed him, and hes been EXACTLY the same for us. Fact is, he went downhill for Chelsea first, as opposed to coming here and then underperforming.

And which expert on the subject was it that told you Mourinho let Duff go easily? I suppose Alan Shearer is you next door neighnour is he?

Why the f*** else would he leave the League Champions? It's not like he was earning a pittance there.

Mourinho has not let any of his players go lightly. Thats just another aspect of what makes him a top manager - when he sells a player, its always someone he doesnt want to see go. The fact that Mourinho stated he didnt want Duff to go means nothing at all, which is where the initial point was made as an argeument for Duff still being a top player. As mentioned, the exact same tactics were used when selling Babayaro, Parker, and anyone else Mourinho has shunted out - Crespo, Cole, Del Horno, etc.

As for Duff leaving Chelsea for first team football - who's arguing with that? Its a mute point. He left because he was going to spend most of his times in Chelsea's reserves. I dont see how that translates to "Duff wants first team football, therefore he must still be a top player". Noone is arguing that hes merely here for the money - the arguement is that hes s*** compared to his old self and merely an average winger who'll do something decent once in a blue moon. If anything, him dropping down the Chelsea pecking order and therefore feeling the need to leave in order to get games is a testament to that. If Duff was as good as he was back in 01-03, hed have never been sold by Mourinho.

Hold on a second, you're making up your own argument here.

I didn't say that Duff is a top player because he left Chelsea for first team football. I said he's the kind of player i want at Newcastle because he left the best team in the Country for first team football, unlike many of the other mercenaries who are prepared to warm the bench week in week out.

I like to see the positives in our players and wish them well. You it seems do not.

I imagine you're one of the so-called fans who wants the manager sacked after 11 games, and boos the team off the pitch.

A multi-paced dribbling winger who can his man guessing when cutting-in or when beating his man on the outside, but more importantly he's two footed and has a tendancy to cut-in on a dime and shoot ie. a right-sided version of Robert, and Robert could shoot with his right as a last resort although the "The Robert is s****" pack will steadfastly disagree with this.

I'll be happy if Duff walks into starting line-up, on the right side that is. He's a better option on the right than Milner.... who lacks Duff's pace off the mark, lacks Solano's guile and decision making on-the-ball, and ultimately is still hit & miss with his delivery from out wide.

Duff, with his aforementioned strengths and pattern of play, will still inflict more damage on the opposition than the naturally right-sided Milner imo.

lmfao. Have you seen Duff play on the right? He was s***.

I've seen him play on the right-side, when Ireland - and admittedly this goes back to the Japan WC - utilised him as a floating forward & given the freedom to drift out wide in both channels hence i've have a some sort of basis for a judgement on this one. He and Keane alternated their respective attacking roles periodiocly, down each wide attacking channel, and worried alot of defensive rearguards in the process. It'a all good and well for a manager to install a system of play which in theory should work, as per the above, but you have to the tools/fundamentals at your disposal in order to execute the scheme, and that's what Keane & Duff were able to do because of their dual-sided versatility - and it comes down to dribbling ability, the propensity to cut inside on a dime & being able to shoot with both feet.

But i guess i can see a pattern in someone's play, and envision how it could be best utilised amidst a squad which isn't exactly spoiled for choice in the attacking midfield ranks, soemthing which applies in our case............. unlike yourself NM in this instance you've hit quick judgement and branded somebody in essence as 'permanently s***' and that 'will never work'. I'd be perfectly happy with a 442 system in play with Zoggy and Duff utilised on the left & right respectively, afterall i'm a 442 man.

I suppose you're perfectly happy with Milner's productivity out on the right then - tbh he reminds of a right-sided version of Stephen Glass ie. all effort but doesn't have the necessary tools/ability in the locker. As a 442 set-up with Zoggy and Milner as the widemen our midfield looks too left-sided, or a lopsided left-to-right attacking threat - just like our midfield was prior to Robert's arrival, except in this case the right-side - ie. Milner - is the problem area.

Or perhaps you're holding out for Ashley to fork out the big quid come January?

Mourinho has not let any of his players go lightly. Thats just another aspect of what makes him a top manager - when he sells a player, its always someone he doesnt want to see go. The fact that Mourinho stated he didnt want Duff to go means nothing at all, which is where the initial point was made as an argeument for Duff still being a top player. As mentioned, the exact same tactics were used when selling Babayaro, Parker, and anyone else Mourinho has shunted out - Crespo, Cole, Del Horno, etc.

As for Duff leaving Chelsea for first team football - who's arguing with that? Its a mute point. He left because he was going to spend most of his times in Chelsea's reserves. I dont see how that translates to "Duff wants first team football, therefore he must still be a top player". Noone is arguing that hes merely here for the money - the arguement is that hes s*** compared to his old self and merely an average winger who'll do something decent once in a blue moon. If anything, him dropping down the Chelsea pecking order and therefore feeling the need to leave in order to get games is a testament to that. If Duff was as good as he was back in 01-03, hed have never been sold by Mourinho.

Mute point?  mackems.gif mackems.gif

I didn't say that Duff is a top player because he left Chelsea for first team football. I said he's the kind of player i want at Newcastle because he left the best team in the Country for first team football, unlike many of the other mercenaries who are prepared to warm the bench week in week out.

I like to see the positives in our players and wish them well. You it seems do not.

I imagine you're one of the so-called fans who wants the manager sacked after 11 games, and boos the team off the pitch.

Aye, ive got some arguements mixed up here, youre correct there. Although may I point out, would you use the same standards for Babayaro for example, who likewise left Chelsea for first team football and therefore according to your arguements isnt a mercenary since he wasnt happy to sit on the bench for them, or do they only apply to players you like?

As for the positivity/negativity aspect, what have you based that on? Surely I have the right to call a player overrated and over the hill without being accused of negativity? I call things as I see them. Sometimes im wrong, sometimes im right, and so far with Duff, there hasnt been a single sign of him looking like the top player he once was, whilst arguements trying to back the notion that hes still a top player are pretty poor ones (Only poor due to poor Newcastle team, Mourinho didnt want to sell, etc etc).

Hes almost like Ged from the Earthsea Quartet - the magic has vanished from inside him, and hes a different man as a result, but plenty of people still see him as the great wizard.

Aye, ive got some arguements mixed up here, youre correct there. Although may I point out, would you use the same standards for Babayaro for example, who likewise left Chelsea for first team football and therefore according to your arguements isnt a mercenary since he wasnt happy to sit on the bench for them, or do they only apply to players you like?

As for the positivity/negativity aspect, what have you based that on? Surely I have the right to call a player overrated and over the hill without being accused of negativity? I call things as I see them. Sometimes im wrong, sometimes im right, and so far with Duff, there hasnt been a single sign of him looking like the top player he once was, whilst arguements trying to back the notion that hes still a top player are pretty poor ones (Only poor due to poor Newcastle team, Mourinho didnt want to sell, etc etc).

Hes almost like Ged from the Earthsea Quartet - the magic has vanished from inside him, and hes a different man as a result, but plenty of people still see him as the great wizard.

It just gets better and better...

This is an article from yesterday:

Duff reveals Newcastle injury anguish

Newcastle midfielder Damien Duff has admitted he broke down after being told he was the first footballer to suffer the injury which might have ended his career.

The 28-year-old is back in training after recovering from a dislocation in his foot suffered at Portsmouth in April.

However, the Republic of Ireland international has revealed his shock when his surgeon told him what had happened.

Duff told the club's official website: 'It was devastating.

'You should have seen me when I first found out in the surgeon's office, I broke down in tears.

'It was a dislocation in the middle of my foot, and the surgeon said he had never seen it on a footballer before, and that was a shock.

'It was an horrendous injury. I was the only footballer to ever get it.

'It's a case of taking things one day at a time because I have had my foot up all summer.

'We will be looking at a couple of reserve games first, but hopefully it will not be too long before I am back.'

No return date as of yet. 

This is an article from yesterday:

Duff reveals Newcastle injury anguish

Newcastle midfielder Damien Duff has admitted he broke down after being told he was the first footballer to suffer the injury which might have ended his career.

The 28-year-old is back in training after recovering from a dislocation in his foot suffered at Portsmouth in April.

However, the Republic of Ireland international has revealed his shock when his surgeon told him what had happened.

Duff told the club's official website: 'It was devastating.

'You should have seen me when I first found out in the surgeon's office, I broke down in tears.

'It was a dislocation in the middle of my foot, and the surgeon said he had never seen it on a footballer before, and that was a shock.

'It was an horrendous injury. I was the only footballer to ever get it.

'It's a case of taking things one day at a time because I have had my foot up all summer.

'We will be looking at a couple of reserve games first, but hopefully it will not be too long before I am back.'

No return date as of yet. 

Sounds nasty!!

Crock sold to desperate northern club. End of story.

Balls, ive seen him play some of his best football for Ireland while he was here.

I've only ever seen him play one decent match for Newcastle, tbh.

Balls, ive seen him play some of his best football for Ireland while he was here.

And?

How many int games do crocks play a year? England have a few.

Maybe Terry and Cole should have played for England the other day?

And?

How many int games do crocks play a year? England have a few.

Maybe Terry and Cole should have played for England the other day?

Besides the point, at Ireland he has proved he is still quality, he wouldnt be the first player to underperform up at NUFC, there must be something in the water.

Theres no doubt Duffs still a very good player even if he isnt playing great,he creates space for the rest of the team.I seen him play for Ireland against a good Slovakia side in croke park last march and he was excellent he tore them apart,even though at times there was 2 players marking him!Thing about Duff though  is hes hot and cold!

I've only ever seen him play one decent match for Newcastle, tbh.

Zulte (A)?