Is Sam the Man?

jimmymag
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Mr Ashley seems to be growing ever more passionate about his adopted football club, and he's on record saying that he wants to enjoy his hard earned, hopefully that will translate into him spending a sizeable chunk of his £2 billion trying to get us into the top four.

If that's the case, would you trust Sam Allardyce to spend your money if you were in Mike Ashley's shoes?

I'm starting to have serious doubts. I was pleased with Sam's wheeling and dealing during the summer but Sam's obsession with keeping a clean sheet is beginning to worry me. We have better players than Derby, Reading and, especially, the Mackems but Sam set his team up not to concede instead of telling the players that they are better than the opposition, and to go out and play in a structured offensive way. I'm starting to doubt if he's capable of changing his footballing philosophy regardless of the quality of player at his disposal.

Mike Ashley's obviously no mug and, if he is considering investing a sizeable amount of cash in an attempt to break into the top 4, he must also be doubting Sam's ability to lead us there.

definetly during january, there's no point to stop backing him after half a season. But if  at the end of the season he's still making decisions like he did against sunderland, then we'd have to reconsider his position here.

As quoted by True Faith:

Sam Allardyce isn't everyone's cup of tea. That is a fact. However, he is a successful Premiership Manager who joined NUFC at a time in our history, which was unprecedented in the amount of change going on so quickly. I would also repeat Allardyce inherited very little from the previous regime. No solid core of top players settled at the club, no great youth academy with young players rolling through and understandably the new owner gave him only a limited budget as Chris Mort conducted his review and discovered the club was in substantially more debt than they had imagined with future income already squandered. And yet, the press are telling us Sam is under pressure because we aren't pushing for a place in the CL. For God's sake, NUFC has to be a club of high standards and expectations but at the right time and in the right circumstances. No-one was hamerring SBR when he didn't turn it round immediately after Gullit even though he inherited quality like Shearer, Speed, Solano, Given, Lee etc. And that's no criticism of SBR.

Alladyce is the new Jol, with the stupid press sowing the seeds of doubt after a couple of weak performances.

Give him time etc.. how many times should people have to say this?

Of course i'd trust him with the cash, look who he brought in with bolton.

Yeah, keep him here for the duration of his contract at least. He's only just got here and already people are writing him off; can't they see how much good sacking our managers willy-nilly has done in the past?

Sometimes reading this forum makes me even more depressed than watching matches like Reading / Mackems. :(

Oh and I would be worried if he did spend a sizable chunk of Ashley's money - I prefer the wheeling and dealing he done during the last transfer window, good players, low prices. Maybe we can occasionally splash out on someone nice that will improve our team.

As far as I'm concerned Allardyce has to earn the right to be here next year and I hope he does it, he's bought well and now needs to add quality to the quantity he had to bring in last window.  So far his tactics and team selection has been baffling at times but it could just be him looking at different combinations of players.

So is he the man?  It's up to him to prove that he's the man. 

As quoted by True Faith:

Sam Allardyce isn't everyone's cup of tea. That is a fact. However, he is a successful Premiership Manager who joined NUFC at a time in our history, which was unprecedented in the amount of change going on so quickly. I would also repeat Allardyce inherited very little from the previous regime. No solid core of top players settled at the club, no great youth academy with young players rolling through and understandably the new owner gave him only a limited budget as Chris Mort conducted his review and discovered the club was in substantially more debt than they had imagined with future income already squandered. And yet, the press are telling us Sam is under pressure because we aren't pushing for a place in the CL. For God's sake, NUFC has to be a club of high standards and expectations but at the right time and in the right circumstances. No-one was hamerring SBR when he didn't turn it round immediately after Gullit even though he inherited quality like Shearer, Speed, Solano, Given, Lee etc. And that's no criticism of SBR.

I agree with all of that, but the point I want to make is that if Mike Ashley is going to do an Abramovich and throw a silly amount of money at the club to try to buy success is Sam the right man for that job?

I'm quite happy with Sam's record here so far, and if Mr Ashley is not going to put his hand into his own pocket to fund a transfer war chest but only allow the manager to spend what the club can afford based on prudent business criteria, then I'm more than happy with Sam and I'd be prepared to give him 3 years to succeed under those circumstances but, and I know it's pure speculation and hope on my part, what if Ashley really wants "his" club to shake up the top 4 and is prepared to spend whatever it takes. Is Sam the man under those circumstances?

Yawn...

Can the admin put a ban on these types of threads?

No need to ban these types of threads, people who are not interested obviously wouldn't even bother reading them, they definitely wouldn't waste time posting in them.   :rolleyes:

Guest optimistic nit

yet when thread moderation was trialled people all hated it. you can have these threads, or thread moderation, not both.

I don't know if Sam is the man, the jury is still out there...I'll give him this year as long as we don't get close to relegation (which I don't expect anyway but you never know). If we finish 10th or better then I'll keep him definitely but if we finish below 10th then It would depend on the performance of games in the last few months of the season...If there is progress and we are improving then lower than 10th is not bad considering we are in a transitional phase but if we were still playing sh*t like Roeder's towards the end of his season then parting companies would be a good option...

Guest Ridzuan

In terms of spending the money wise,I think he is able to do a good job but of course in order to achieve success,you have to deliver it on the pitch.You can have the best player in the world playing for us but theres no use if the tactics and the players themselves are not good enough during the matches.Thats my only concern for Big Sam now.

No, clearly he is not the man. Look at his signings, they've not been great by any stretch of the imagination.

But there will still be the fans who cling to the belief that because he is employed by Newcastle United (as with a number of our first team players) that he is somehow good enough, and that glory is only a bit of luck away.

Its all very well saying "have some faith", and yes, he's better than Roeder (liek being stabbed is better than being shot), but there is little point in having faith in something that is not going to work - showing blind faith does not make you a better fan, it just makes you less realistic.

As quoted by True Faith:

Where's the bit about him wasting money already on players who aren't good enough to get us where we need to be? Oh, thats right, it wasn't part of their agenda. Just because it's in TF, why does it have any more credence than any other shite?

The failings on the pitch fall down to not having the right men for the job. We have half a squad, no balance, and we've been lucky in terms of injuries so far, a lot of what injuries we have had are hangovers from the previous regime.

Sam needs more money and should of been given it in the summer. He was given the basics, and really, spent on the basics.

Players like Smith would be a good signing once we have two LB's, two RB's, a settled partnership in defence, 4 competent strikers and of course variety and creativity in midfield. ATM he's a waste of money, but as squad filler he'd have been an excellent bit of business.

Sam isn't going to buy a bad player, he might buy average ones to do certain jobs, but i cant see him buying anything totally crap such as Souness, so yes, i'd trust him, we need to, we need to bring in more quality and if he can attract Anelka to Bolton, then he can bring in some good names to the club without too much hassle or financial sacrifice.