Arshavin linked again

NSG

A lot of people had seen quite a bit of Boumsong & Luque before they came though. With Sky and the internet you can watch just as much of a player in La Liga than what you can see of a player in the Premiership these days.

Thats not gonna go down well with NE5 "Sky boy!".

:razz:

Apart from one game a season at St James's, how else do you see how Rooney, Lampard, Cole, etc. play?

A lot of people had seen quite a bit of Boumsong & Luque before they came though. With Sky and the internet you can watch just as much of a player in La Liga than what you can see of a player in the Premiership these days.

Apart from one game a season at St James's, how else do you see how Rooney, Lampard, Cole, etc. play?

Sheargol may put you in touch with Lampard, he certainly seems to have a crush on him

I go on the magical football world tour that Delima goes on which means I get to see every single first team and reserve game for every club in the whole world. Its quite reasonable.

Guest RodrigoPalacio

I go on the magical football world tour that Delima goes on which means I get to see every single first team and reserve game for every club in the whole world. Its quite reasonable.

I just play FM...

:lol:

Guest Kshahdoo

Yes, Arshavin is good. But I very doubt he'll come to Newcastle. There are numbers of reasons, i'd say. Zenit will play in Champions League next season (as a Russian champion it directly goes to group stage), and Newcastle won't. Arshavin doesnt like EPL, he is a Spain league' fan. And the last but not the least, 7M pounds is nothing for Zenit which is owned by Gazprom. Zenit paid $20M for Timoschuk and rejected later to sell him back to Shaktar for $22M... And there is a limit on foreign players here in Russia. Each team can have not more than 6 foreigners on the field, thats why all locals are so overpriced. And Arshavin is the best of them. So no chances Zenit will agree to sell him for 7M...

It seems ludicrous to say that we need another striker, given we have 5 already (Martins, Owen, Viduka, Shola, Smith), but we probably do.

Viduka seems to be a short-term stop gap, he's getting older and slower and he's injury prone. Owen will probably be off in the summer, Shola's days here may well be numbered as well. Smith should be nothing more than a utility player in my eyes. So while there's 5 bodies there, there's nothing resembling a long-term strike partnership.

I think we should be looking for a long-term strike partner for Oba, and accept that Viduka is a stop gap, Owen's on his bike soon enough and Shola and Smith aren't ever going to be good enough to be regular starters up front. It's yet another area of the pitch where we find ourselves with plenty of depth but an abundance of mediocrity.

It seems ludicrous to say that we need another striker, given we have 5 already (Martins, Owen, Viduka, Shola, Smith), but we probably do.

Viduka seems to be a short-term stop gap, he's getting older and slower and he's injury prone. Owen will probably be off in the summer, Shola's days here may well be numbered as well. Smith should be nothing more than a utility player in my eyes. So while there's 5 bodies there, there's nothing resembling a long-term strike partnership.

I think we should be looking for a long-term strike partner for Oba, and accept that Viduka is a stop gap, Owen's on his bike soon enough and Shola and Smith aren't ever going to be good enough to be regular starters up front. It's yet another area of the pitch where we find ourselves with plenty of depth but an abundance of mediocrity.

Fully agree

Striker? I was under the impression that he would be a playmaker or wing forward in a 4-3-3.

He looked to me like a player who likes to operate in that Bellamy-Beardsley role, in between the midfield and the striker. We don't have a player like that at the moment, and he'd be a valuable asset. The strikers we have at the moment are all out and out strikers.

He looked to me like a player who likes to operate in that Bellamy-Beardsley role, in between the midfield and the striker. We don't have a player like that at the moment, and he'd be a valuable asset. The strikers we have at the moment are all out and out strikers.

Correct.

Guest Geordiesned

Thought exactly the same. Really reminded me of Pedro.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest johnson293

On Sky Sports News newspaper round up this morning, they had a quote from Arvashin saying 'he would be interested in Joining Newcastle' - can't remember which paper it was from though.

He played against Everton last night of course.

EDIT: Story on Sky Sports.com...

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_2948442,00.html

Andrei Arshavin admits he would be interested in joining Newcastle, should Sam Allardyce come calling in the January transfer window.

The talented 26-year-old was part of the Zenit St Petersburg team defeated by Everton on Wednesday night, a game which could prove to be his final appearance for his home-town club.

As England will testify, the Russian schemer is certainly a gifted performer and it would appear he is now ready to ply his trade in the Premier League.

Newcastle have been credited as being long-term admirers and Arshavin's signature would likely sate a St James' Park crowd that craves entertainment.

Arshavin concedes that he is flattered by talk of Newcastle's interest.

"Of course I would like to play in England," he told the Daily Mirror.

"In Russia as well as England they are talking about Newcastle being interested in me and there has been no concrete offer.

"In principle if they made an offer I would be interested."

Guest johnson293

Does anyone know how he played last night against Everton?

From The Sun's match report, fo what its worth...

"The hugely impressive Andrey Arshavin sent Pavel Pogrebnyak scooting through and Tim Howard had to stand up well to make the block.

Then Arshavin cut Everton open again to put Konstain Zyrianov in behind Lescott, only for the Zenit ace to blaze wide of a gaping target."