PM eager for home internationals

Kev
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I would actually be in favour of this if i had a slightest chance to going to a one.

It will be the same people getting tickets every game and will cost about £1000 a ticket and god knows how much to get there

What actually is it? Just a mini tourno between England Scotland N Ireland and Wales? I'd love to see that happen.

And the ROI.

actually that would be quite cool tbh, wed come out miles on top though making it a bit pointless (well maybe i should wait and see who our next manager is before they appoint roeder and i swallow my words!)

I don't want this to happen, we would lose and the torment of windups from our Scottish, Irish and Welsh friends would be awful.

Plus these players keep bitching about burn out... let's take that excuse away from them and see how they do next season.  Also it would be nice for Michael to come through the summer with no injuries playing for England.

What actually is it? Just a mini tourno between England Scotland N Ireland and Wales? I'd love to see that happen.

And the ROI.

Eh?

The Home International championship is England, Scotland, N.Ireland and Wales.

Both Irelands, Wales, and Scotland were in the process of organising a 'Celtic nations' tournament. The revised Home International would simply be us tacked onto that proposed competition. From what I understand.

And the ROI.

Eh?

Both Irelands, Wales, and Scotland were in the process of organising a 'Celtic nations' tournament. The revised Home International would simply be us tacked onto that proposed competition. From what I understand.

"Celtic nations" tournament? That sounds like some kind of religious based tournament to me and if that's the case I'd sooner England didn't bother getting involved in such rubbish, mate.

Anyway, the bloke asked what the Home International Championship is ( or was, really ) and for a century it involved England, Scotland, N.Ireland and Wales, so traditionally that is the composition of the tournament.

If a competition is formed that doesn't have that group of nations then the Home Internationals hasn't been brought back, a new competition will have been formed that needs a new name. This isn't being pedantic either. It's about tradition and there is a tradition to the competition that goes back decades. Include foreigners like the Republic of Ireland if that's what people want, but it then needs another name.

Just my opinion.

I thought the Home Internationals were stopped because when England played Scotland at Wembley it would attract thousands of pissed jocks who only seemed interested in smashing crossbars and attacking people in the streets of London.  After seeing how Celtic fans behave when coming to Newcastle for meaningless games, nothing has changed.

And the ROI.

Eh?

"Celtic nations" tournament? That sounds like some kind of religious based tournament to me and if that's the case I'd sooner England didn't bother getting involved in such rubbish, mate.

Anyway, the bloke asked what the Home International Championship is ( or was, really ) and for a century it involved England, Scotland, N.Ireland and Wales, so traditionally that is the composition of the tournament.

If a competition is formed that doesn't have that group of nations then the Home Internationals has been brought back, a new competition will have been formed that needs a new name. This isn't being pedantic either. It's about tradition and there is a tradition to the competition that goes back decades. Include foreigners like the Republic of Ireland if that's what people want, but it then needs another name.

Just my opinion.

Yeah, sorry for the confusion I thought he was talking about the one that might be played next summer. Before the creation of N.Ireland, I believe the Home Internationals were played with Ireland anyway, so it's not true  to say their inclusion would be completely against the spirit of the competition even though they are a independent nation now.

And the ROI.

Eh?

If a competition is formed that doesn't have that group of nations then the Home Internationals has been brought back, a new competition will have been formed that needs a new name. This isn't being pedantic either. It's about tradition and there is a tradition to the competition that goes back decades. Include foreigners like the Republic of Ireland if that's what people want, but it then needs another name.

Just my opinion.

Yeah, sorry for the confusion I thought he was talking about the one that might be played next summer. Before the creation of N.Ireland, I believe the Home Internationals were played with Ireland anyway, so it's not true  to say their inclusion would be completely against the spirit of the competition even though they are a independent nation now.

Aye, it was, but N.Ireland exists and any move to include the foreign country (non-British) that is the Republic of Ireland means it's not the Home International Championships. The "Home" bit is meant to denote "nations that make up Britain."

I wonder how many England players would vote for this - the opportunity at the end of the season to have the shit kicked out of you by a bunch of British players - often from the lower divisions - who are eager to prove a point by taking the English down a peg. No thanks.

We'll probably get quite a few requests from those teams who'd managed to qualify for a game too.

I'd rather play France, Germany, Italy etc than have to join the 'Celtic' tournament......

So would I. Unfortunately they are busy elsewhere in the summer.

We'll probably get quite a few requests from those teams who'd managed to qualify for a game too.

I'd rather play France, Germany, Italy etc than have to join the 'Celtic' tournament......

So would I. Unfortunately they are busy elsewhere in the summer.

They are, but as the proposed celtic tournament is scheduled to start in Feb and end in May,  then we'll still have nowt to do in the summer.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Barwick taking time over appointment

FA chief executive Brian Barwick insisted there was is timeframe on appointing a new man to lead England into World Cup 2010 qualifying.

Sunday's draw England and Croatia just four days after Slaven Bilic's side cost McClaren his job and his side a place at Euro 2008 with a 3-2 win at Wembley.

Ukraine, Belarus, Kazakhstan and Andorra make up the rest of the group but Barwick admitted it is the matches against Croatia - who beat England home and away - which will capture attention.

"Interesting group - with a top-line match that people will home in on again - England versus Croatia. It will be an early opportunity to see if we can fare better," he said.

"The new coach will be in place and his job will be to get a better return out of those Croatia games."

However, while the draw in Durban, South Africa, will focus even more attention on the search for a new manager, Barwick insisted he would not be rushed into a decision.

"I'm thinking in my quiet time about how we take this forwards," he added.

"There is no timeframe, there is no favourite, there is no person being contacted.

"We're working through what we want what we need to make the England team successful."

While the draw is not as daunting as it might have been - Italy, Germany and France were avoided - Barwick warned of potential problem areas.

He said: "We played Croatia twice and lost twice. It's not just about one team it is a group and there are banana skins in the group.

"We respect every team in it. This is an important time for England our elimination was a wake-up call, one of the biggest wake-up calls for England in the last 20 years.

"We go into every qualifying group expecting and determined to qualify but there's no complacency any more."

Asked about a revival of the home internationals in the summer to fille the void left by no Euro 2008 participation, Barwick admitted it was a possibility.

"At the moment, we've got to work out how we fill fixtures towards the back end of the season - that might be at the behest of the new coach, depending on whether he's in post or not," he told Sky Sports News.

"I'm not saying yes to it, I'm not saying no to it."