Realistic Targets In January

Decky

Nikola Zigic

Not sure if he'd leave Valencia to come here.

Yup.

Michael. Owen.

Case closed.

Not quite the same thing is it? :lol:

No, clearly not.

Because Zigic would actually be fit enough to play a full quota of club matches in between internationals and friendlies.

I was thinking more to do with the fact Owen would have 5th choice if he had stayed at Real Madrid and didn't want to risk his place in the England squad, we had him over a barrel, basically.

Nikola Zigic

Not sure if he'd leave Valencia to come here.

Yup.

Michael. Owen.

Case closed.

Not quite the same thing is it? :lol:

No, clearly not.

Because Zigic would actually be fit enough to play a full quota of club matches in between internationals and friendlies.

I was thinking more to do with the fact Owen would have 5th choice if he had stayed at Real Madrid and didn't want to risk his place in the England squad, we had him over a barrel, basically.

You running away on one of your weird homosexual fantasies again, I see.

Eidur Gudjohnsen - Would add much needed creativity and technical skills to our midfield, would also do well as a support striker.

Mariusz Lewandowski - Polish defensive midfielder/defender* playing for Shaktar, doesn't seem to be very known but I still rate him highly. Always gives a 100%+ performance, good at winning the ball from the opposition and can actually pass the ball (unlike our current DMs). In addition his long shooting isn't bad and he is strong in the air. He is extremely SLOW though and his technical skills are on pair with Sissoko's. I still think he would be a good signing.

Most importantly.. he is pretty decent in FM: http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/4345/lewandowskijt4.th.jpg

*note: I've only seen him play for the national team, where he is most often used as a DM. At Shaktar he is usually played in the defense.

Guest kingdawson

Eidur Gudjohnsen - Would add much needed creativity and technical skills to our midfield, would also do well as a support striker.

Mariusz Lewandowski - Polish defensive midfielder/defender* playing for Shaktar, doesn't seem to be very known but I still rate him highly. Always gives a 100%+ performance, good at winning the ball from the opposition and can actually pass the ball (unlike our current DMs). In addition his long shooting isn't bad and he is strong in the air. He is extremely SLOW though and his technical skills are on pair with Sissoko's. I still think he would be a good signing.

Most importantly.. he is pretty decent in FM: http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/4345/lewandowskijt4.th.jpg

*note: I've only seen him play for the national team, where he is most often used as a DM. At Shaktar he is usually played in the defense.

Did you cringe again Dave :rolleyes:?

Anelka.

And who to cure our lack-of-creativity blues, Parky?

I'd get bids in for Basturk (Stuttgart), Diego (Werder Bremen - would cost) or Arteta.

All three clubs involved aren't must stay clubs imo and if MA got obsessed with either of those he could get them IMO.

And Arteta would want to join Newcastle because....? He's better off here like it or not.

We wouldn't sell in January either and if we decide to sell in the summer (which I also doubt ashe's got 5years  left on his deal) then much bigger fish than Newcastle would be interested.

Same goes for Diego who refused a move to Real Madrid if you believe the rumours in the summer.

Basturk is the only realistic one there.

Personally, I think the Russian league would be a happy hunting ground. Danny from Dynamo Moscow, Daniel Carvalho from CSKA and a few others are well worth a look.

Did you cringe again Dave :rolleyes:?

Yep. :)

Get the veteran Jan Koller. Yes I would prefer the Crouch & maybe Zigic but I think we would have more chance of getting the big lad on a 18 month deal. Not sure if he would be willing to swap the tax free life for Tyneside though.

Abou Diaby I think he is the sort of mobile big guy who would be good for us at DM for us.

Ben Haim, him & Faye could be the answer at CB.

Left back Ryan Bertrand looks like he is out the picture at Chelsea & he a England U19 international. May be worth a punt as a back up who has potential to Enrique. On loan at Oldham atm but with Cole & Bridge in front of may need to move on & he is pal of the "BIG AC".

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_2923569,00.html

NEC Nijmegen defender Jonas Olsson has been linked with a move to the Premier League.

According to reports in Holland, Newcastle are keen to bring in the 24-year-old and have already opened negotiations with his agent Martin Dahlin.

A number of other English clubs have also been credited with an interest, and Olsson is tipped to move on in the January transfer window.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_2923569,00.html

NEC Nijmegen defender Jonas Olsson has been linked with a move to the Premier League.

According to reports in Holland, Newcastle are keen to bring in the 24-year-old and have already opened negotiations with his agent Martin Dahlin.

A number of other English clubs have also been credited with an interest, and Olsson is tipped to move on in the January transfer window.

I think the last thing you need is another foreign defender with no Prem experience.

Guest LucaAltieri

Zoltán Gera

Good cover on the right. Alternate him and Milner.

Mirko Vučinić

Perhaps unrealistic getting him from Roma right now, even so, I can dream.

Arshavin

He's on the move anyway. So long as the price tag doesn't go sky high then he'd be worth a punt. I don't think he's a certain answer to our creative problems by any means. My extensive youtube research shows him to be quite average. If you can't make him look a star on youtube then you've got to question his ability.

Pasquale Foggia

On the fringes of the Italian national team. He's class. Similar style of play to Nobby but younger and quicker. Can play as a left winger but when I've seen him he's been playing through the middle. Currently on loan at Cagliari so probably not a realistic January target, but one for the summer perhaps.

Gionatha Spinesi

Striker who has been around the block. Similar to Luca Toni in that he's played at just about every level in Italian football and he's always scored goals whether he was in a crap team or a good team. Currently at Catania, scored 17 goals last season. Top scorer (22) in 04/05 season. Getting on a bit, though. Pushing 30.

Alexei Eremenko Jr.

Attacking Midfielder. currently plays for some russian nobodies. Young and plays regularly for Finland. Good on the ball. Shouldn't be too pricey.

The question with regards to Diouf, will Bolton let him go to the club whom Allardyce walked towards in accordance to his managerial 'second calling'..... for anything less than 10m?

I'd expect heavy opposition from Bolton in the event of us making a move come January. Diouf's a good player, the sort of two-sided/free-roaming forward we need right now but imo we'll be priced out of the equation.

And these thoughts have been solidified after reading Mort's quotes in the "Allardyce faces January block" article, especially if Allardyce doesn't rebuff his thinking in the area of his current tactical formation, and couple this with his defensive mindset or priority of stiffling the opposition outfield with this 433/4551 attacking & defensive hybrid, as opposed with the obviously suited 442 based line-up that was fielded against Everton: a line-up that was suited to the players' strengths and was functional going forward.

By going public Mort's most recent quotes, re: the 'team not playing as a unit', add fuel to the fire after having already made comments along the line of 'obviously Allardyce wasn't our manager - due to the timing of their take-over'. Not being their man, or the preferred choice for the top job, meant that Allardyce had to impress from the outset.

Allardyce has done himself no favours in this sense due to his over-elaborate tactics and team changes: Keegan, and this applies to SBR as well, kept it simple and applied his tactics and the team's mindset - ie. its attacking & defensive balance - in accordance to the attributes of his marquee players. As managers their philosophy was 'let the opposition worry about our threats, and make them adjust their match-ups and their accompanying defensive structure. Contrary to the above Allardyce has been no better than Souness, with the line-up & formation used against Everton being the exception to the rule.

If he doesn't turn it around quickly Mort & Ashley will look towards a replacement manager next season, and if he's lucky in the event of him still being in the hotseat here there will most likely be no financial backing for a 'dead man walking' manager in January. IMO for any under fire manager remarks like "we'll stand by our man', as have been stated by Mort, amount to a death sentence.

zigic would be perfect, and if he is not getting a game at valencia maybe he will come here as well.

the alternative is crouch imo - i used to think he was crap, but over the last couple of years he's really shown he is a good player. would be a great partner for martins i think.

asharvin i've not seen too much of, but we do need some creativity. here the obvious alternative is gudjohnson, who unfortunately is aging for a forward and would command great wages.

my final bid, is leon andreasen. he is finding it hard to get a game at werder. very difficult to understand though. the second part of last season they loaned him to mainz, and he more or less single handedly turned their fortunes around. he is a very very hard working dm who's got a great shot on him as well. also a decent passer of the ball and a good header. can cover at dc also. he wouldn't cost much more than 1-2m, and is better than butt, faye, geremi etc. at dm.

Guest Harry-Norway

Gudjohnsen, Arshavin and Skjelbred - ould all be class signings. Skjelbred is a toon supporter according to FM :)

Agree with Per Ciljan Skjelbred,you can all have a look at him on Sky sports when Rosenborg vs Chelski.

He is a brilliant midfielder,only 20 years,but plays with a skill we are missing in Toon these days,Skjelbred in and Taxi for Barton

Guest Harry-Norway

Gudjohnsen, Arshavin and Skjelbred - ould all be class signings. Skjelbred is a toon supporter according to FM :)

and in real life

Alle kan kjøpes Sparta,penger har vi nok av,Rosenborg selger hvis prisen er god nok.

Heia RBK