Big Sam vs Eriksson,Toon choosed wrong or???

Guest Harry-Norway

It's evident that Sam is going to need a fair bit of time so unfair to judge them against each other really at the moment.

Man City finished 1 place below us last season, so how is it unfair..

If we had Eriksson we'd be doing much better than we are now as he is a much better manager.

city have spendt alot more then newcastle

Not really.  I mean, the accountant might say so but looking at whats on the pitch. Keepers, Richards, Dunne, Hamann, Johnson, Ireland, Mpenza, all left over from last season. The only signings Sven has made that have really made a big, big difference are Elano and Petrov. £12.7m the pair. (Compare: Smith + Barton). Corluka and Garrido are playing too but they're fullbacks and good as they are (especially the former), I think we wouldn't be that far away without them. Others signings have been on the fringes or in the treatment room.

That's a very odd way of looking at it. If you spend big money on several players then you've got a better chance of some of them coming good quickly. Then only counting what you spent on those who did is a very narrow way of looking at it imo.

Yep. It is an odd way of looking at it. But so is dismissing the difference between the clubs as purely down to money spent when we've had a big money signing do his knee 5 minutes into his debut. :weep:

Yes, in retrospect I apologise for the glibness of my earlier remark (my norwegian is rubbish! :shifty:).

Still don't like the idea behind the thread. Hindsight is great but pretty much useless.

SGE may have been an option for us when we looked for a new manager, but there was quite a bit of apprehension at getting erikson, due to the media circus surrounding his time managing england and we are pretty much a headline act in the media circus so it would have been a risk.  Plus, a lot of newcastle fans didnt want him (sge), there was definitely a split regarding whether he should get the job.

At the time of his appointment at city it was mentioned as to how long he'd get before the press got on his back and that he would get a very, very short honeymoon period, luckilly for him, he hit the ground running, but that kind of pressure probably put fred off him.

Its still too early to tell and even if we did choose wrongly, it doesnt matter we've got Sam and hopefully he'll turn things around (yep, I was in favour of Sam getting the job).

Sven's pedigree as a club manager was, and is, beyond reproach, so there can be no massive surprise that he is doing so well.

Although Speccy skated over it, Corluka cost £8m and Garrido, what, 2m? He has spent a lot of money, but that's only a problem if he has spent it badly and, with the exception of Bianchi, he hasn't.

Sven's pedigree as a club manager was, and is, beyond reproach, so there can be no massive surprise that he is doing so well.

Although Speccy skated over it, Corluka cost £8m and Garrido, what, 2m? He has spent a lot of money, but that's only a problem if he has spent it badly and, with the exception of Bianchi, he hasn't.

Bojinov wasn't peanuts either.

city have spendt alot more then newcastle

Not really.  I mean, the accountant might say so but looking at whats on the pitch. Keepers, Richards, Dunne, Hamann, Johnson, Ireland, Mpenza, all left over from last season. The only signings Sven has made that have really made a big, big difference are Elano and Petrov. £12.7m the pair. (Compare: Smith + Barton). Corluka and Garrido are playing too but they're fullbacks and good as they are (especially the former), I think we wouldn't be that far away without them. Others signings have been on the fringes or in the treatment room.

That's a very odd way of looking at it. If you spend big money on several players then you've got a better chance of some of them coming good quickly. Then only counting what you spent on those who did is a very narrow way of looking at it imo.

Yep. It is an odd way of looking at it. But so is dismissing the difference between the clubs as purely down to money spent when we've had a big money signing do his knee 5 minutes into his debut. :weep:

Yeah, of course it's not the only difference, Sven seems to be doing very well so far. I think part of it was down to Pearce's underachievement with the natural resources he had (Dunne, Richards, Ireland, Johnson, etc.) but it clearly help that Sven was effectively given a blank chequebook and spent approx £20m more than Sam did. Of course Sam may have been given the money, and chosen not to spend it, who knows.

Yeah, of course it's not the only difference, Sven seems to be doing very well so far. I think part of it was down to Pearce's underachievement with the natural resources he had (Dunne, Richards, Ireland, Johnson, etc.) but it clearly help that Sven was effectively given a blank chequebook and spent approx £20m more than Sam did. Of course Sam may have been given the money, and chosen not to spend it, who knows.

Don't forget what a godawful fucking mess City were at the end of last season, though. A much worse state than Newcastle.

I'd have had a few quid on them to go down this year without the takeover.

Yes, in retrospect I apologise for the glibness of my earlier remark (my norwegian is rubbish! :shifty:).

Still don't like the idea behind the thread. Hindsight is great but pretty much useless.

SGE may have been an option for us when we looked for a new manager, but there was quite a bit of apprehension at getting erikson, due to the media circus surrounding his time managing england and we are pretty much a headline act in the media circus so it would have been a risk.  Plus, a lot of newcastle fans didnt want him (sge), there was definitely a split regarding whether he should get the job.

At the time of his appointment at city it was mentioned as to how long he'd get before the press got on his back and that he would get a very, very short honeymoon period, luckilly for him, he hit the ground running, but that kind of pressure probably put fred off him.

Its still too early to tell and even if we did choose wrongly, it doesnt matter we've got Sam and hopefully he'll turn things around (yep, I was in favour of Sam getting the job).

What probably put FS off is that Sven always needs wads of cash. By the end of the Jan window he will have spent £60-70m I reckon.

No blank chequebook. If he had one of them Georgio Chiellini and Marco Bresciano would have been City players by now.

The way I see it. Sven has transformed a team that was complete and utter shite into a team that could go above the Rags tomorrow by adding 4 players to it. Garrido(£1.5m), Corluka(£7m), Elano(£8m) and Petrov(£4.7m) are the only signings he has made who are playing. Of course you can say if you buy enough players enough will come off but really. 6 signings who should be in the team. 4 of them are ever presents, 1 did his knee (£5.7m), and the other I'm at a loss to explain as he looks a good player to me(£8.8m). Net total less than £30m spent on first team players factoring sale of Barton. And less than £16m of that has been shown on the pitch. Is that really so much? Its not all about money. If it were as simple as spending a bit of money everyone would be able to make a side as good as the mighty blues. :smug:

Of course we needed that injection of quality. But IMO, Whats really made a difference - whats turned us from a midtable side with a couple of good players in it like we could have been (Like we were under Keegan basically) - is the philosphy of Sven. As Richard Dunne put it  "I think his way of playing football is different. There are a lot of managers and teams in the Premier League who play `Premier League' football - 100 miles an hour, up and down, without any real control - whereas Sven wants us to have control of the ball at all times. For defenders it is a lot better, we seem to not be under constant pressure this season, and when it goes forward or into midfield the players are passing the ball around and keeping it. I think that has helped the side improve.".

No blank chequebook. If he had one of them Georgio Chiellini and Marco Bresciano would have been City players by now.

The way I see it. Sven has transformed a team that was complete and utter shite into a team that could go above the Rags tomorrow by adding 4 players to it. Garrido(£1.5m), Corluka(£7m), Elano(£8m) and Petrov(£4.7m) are the only signings he has made who are playing. Of course you can say if you buy enough players enough will come off but really. 6 signings who should be in the team. 4 of them are ever presents, 1 did his knee (£5.7m), and the other I'm at a loss to explain as he looks a good player to me(£8.8m). Net total less than £30m spent on first team players factoring sale of Barton. And less than £16m of that has been shown on the pitch. Is that really so much? Its not all about money. If it were as simple as spending a bit of money everyone would be able to make a side as good as the mighty blues. :smug:

Of course we needed that injection of quality. But IMO, Whats really made a difference - whats turned us from a midtable side with a couple of good players in it like we could have been (Like we were under Keegan basically) - is the philosphy of Sven. As Richard Dunne put it  "I think his way of playing football is different. There are a lot of managers and teams in the Premier League who play `Premier League' football - 100 miles an hour, up and down, without any real control - whereas Sven wants us to have control of the ball at all times. For defenders it is a lot better, we seem to not be under constant pressure this season, and when it goes forward or into midfield the players are passing the ball around and keeping it. I think that has helped the side improve.".

He's still after Bresciano and Anelka.

At the end of the day though Speccy, i'd rather have Ashley than the corrupt Shiniwatra (who lets not forget, needed City to turn cash that he did very little to earn, into assets that cant be seized).

I've a feeling thats going to make more difference in the long-term.

At the end of the day though Speccy, i'd rather have Ashley than the corrupt Shiniwatra (who lets not forget, needed City to turn cash that he did very little to earn, into assets that cant be seized).

Good point. Paying off the debt is a very strong sign MA is looking ahead.

Maybe. Who knows what the future holds. But all that matters to me is that right now MCFC are doing well and i'm going to bloody well enjoy every moment I can. COYB.

Maybe. Who knows what the future holds. But all that matters to me is that right now MCFC are doing well and i'm going to bloody well enjoy every moment I can. COYB.

Fair do's.

What do you make of the Anelka interest?

Fair do's.

He's good. But he's not a young man anymore and the amount of money Bolton would want for him could be better spent on someone with a longer shelf life. I'd rather get a younger, hungrier player. I want City to sign top class young players like Benzema, Modric, Mascherano etc.  ???

Fair do's.

He's good. But he's not a young man anymore and the amount of money Bolton would want for him could be better spent on someone with a longer shelf life. I'd rather get a younger, hungrier player. I want City to sign top class young players like Benzema, Modric, Mascherano etc.   ???

I read somewhere Svennis will go upto 10m for Nico.

Mascherano....??! Have a word. :lol:

Guest DazzaNufc1892

i said at the time i wanted sven, but, it was wrong for us to think about him. We needed somebody who would come in and over haul our whole way of running our club. The backroom staff, the way the players are made to think, something which souness was meant to do. Allardyce is the right man for this moment in time, maybe not for the long long term in terms of winning things, but the way the clubs changing internally, he is the right man, being a big presence and making certain players e.g. owen think about mental ways of approaching games

I'm not worried about our situation because i can only see us going forward under Ashley and Mort.

Agree, but what about SA. He could hinder our progress... (hope that was gramatically correct :-))

Ashley and Mort are smart to enough to realize when that becomes the case and will act upon it, obviously a lot of fans feel that time has already come.

You've got to look at when they we're appointed, we needed a complete overhaul especially in defence and that's what sam's doing now, Sam was the sensible choice to sort out this club, I honestly can't see Sven being able to sort out the mess we we're in, but we're on our way now, granted we're having a few troubles in the league but that's expected when we're going through a transistion, granted his substitutions have been poor too, but we don't know what he's trying to do, maybe he's testing out our players for adaptability to see what we do need.

Guest Reservoir Mags

They have had about the same time in the manager chair,but City is top 3 and we are closer to be religated then top 6,Why??,they both have bought in a lot of new players,but it looks like The Swede know how to do it and Sam dont have the clue.

The awayform is very bad with both managers (1-2-3),but City is unbeaten at home (8-0-0).

Manchester C  14 matches 29 points

Newcastle   U  13 matches 18 points

City has met all the top teams,but we have only met Pool.

Anyway,we will never know,but if The Swede has been Toon Boss,were would we be today then????

Any thoughts???

The grammar I can forgive since you're Norwegian but the maths I can't.  "We are closer to relegation than top 6"  We currently lie 11th.  5 places from top 6.  Relegation is from 18th, 7 places from where we are.

OK I think I see your point but you leave yourself open to correction by statements such as this.  And for what it's worth I'll wait until at least the end of the season before making my opinion.  I for one am trying to be patient with SA, Rome wasn't built in a day and I do still believe he'll turn it around.

Way too soon for threads like this.

I can't believe that people use such arguments, FFS! Don't tell us that we have to be satisfied with what we "achieved" so far...

Where did I mention acheivements?  I simply stated a fact about league positions.  You can't argue with that though Tonntastic managed to counter with a valid argument re points.  We've acheived nowt yet but then neither has anyone else.  My argument as you've put it is for patience.  13 games into the season and we're being written off already.  FFS!