Peter Crouch

Kev

This "Player X would choose club Y over club Z" argument is flawed, anyway.

The fact is that outside the top four, there really aren't a lot of defining factors between clubs, certainly not in the second tranche.

Big clubs of tradition - Newcastle, Everton, Villa, Spurs; clubs with a bit of nouveau wad : Man City, Portsmouth, West Ham; clubs where they pay way over the odds to get decent players: Boro; clubs where the wife won't let the player go because she doesn't fancy the shopping: Sunderland, Boro, Reading ..... you could put together a whole list of parameters these days.

The fact is that if they're not in the Champions League, there's really not a lot to distinguish between clubs these days, and the "X is a bigger club than Y" argument doesn't work like it might have done 20 years ago.

Agreed, I think different players want different things.  Some will want to feel wanted, some will just want money, others will want a lifestyle which fits whatever circumstances they have at the time.  A player who is married with no kids might want London, a player with kids might want something away from a city where his kids can get out and about.

I see your point. But a player who wanted the night life of London ? I would terminate the transfer as soon as I detected that.

Sign players who are dedicated to football and have hunger to succeed. Not players who look for the night life.

One thing Allardyce said , quite rightly too whatever happened to him in the end, is that players can live where they want when their career is over but while they are playing they should put football first and give it everything they have.

nice sentiment.....unlikely in reality

shame its right though.

it's what we'd all like....highly unlikely to happen

as I said. Shame its right though.

Sadly for you, its the policy the top 4 adopt and apply good character judgement to, but adopt your 2nd rate attitude and lower expectations instead if you like.

Unfortunately, they also have debts to sit alongside their trophies mackems.gif

The only thing unlikely to happen, is signing loads of 16 year old kids that all turn into the new Rob Lee

i'm not going to bite this time NE5. we aren't going to agree and you're dragging every thread to that argument. you're ruining the board whilst making yourself appear a tosser

congratulations for continuing to disagree with everything I say.  Some people will understand what I'm saying here, obviously not you though. I find it quite amazing that people like you call me a tosser for saying that I would like the club to sign what is, in my opinion, a good player that would come straight into the team and improve it.

Why don't you add something constructive to my comments instead of making silly insults ?

no i say you make yourself lookm like a tosser by turning every thread you enter into the same debate. yes i disagree with you and we are at the point where its pointless going on as we aren't gpoing to agree on that issue yet even when i agree with you on something else guess what you dredge up again.

Well I think you are looking like a tosser by turning everything I say into a vendetta with me.

I'm not bothered if you disagree with me in the slightest, but making insults instead of commenting on what I say doesn't say much for you.

I'm not "dredging" anything up at all. I think something is wrong with the setup of the club, but I would be happy to sign Crouch, it may be the start of more success in the transfer market and hopefully will be.

I think Keegan should choose every player that signs for the club that is in contention for the first team. I also think that he should talk to them one to one, all of them. I think its the only way to do it. But you disagreed with this when I said it once before ?

Crouch might be tempted to sign for Redknapp, so if we want him, then Keegan has to get him on his own and talk to him.  A decent signing like this is what the club needs to open the door for others to see. Get Owen signed up, and a midfield player to replace Solano, and that would be 3 good steps forward.

I disagreed about his boot room and him asking Shearer why he wanted to sign for the club as it was Keegan telling Shearer why he thought that Shearer should sign for us.  I haven't disagreed about his involvement in possible transfers, it could be key to us making signings.

indeed. Keegan has said himself that his way of doing transfers is to talk to players one to one , but didn't you take issue with  this when I mentioned it ?

I've got little doubt that if it came to a straight choice between Redknapp and Keegan, then Keegan would have to be involved to persuade Crouch to sign for Newcastle. He quite simply must be involved in these transfers.

I don't think I would take issue about Keegan talking to players as I would hate to think that he wasn't involved although I don't think he should also do the scouting of players or the negotiation of transfer details.  I think the two lists of names that we had produced is a good idea especially as Keegan has been away from the game for a while and only been at the club a matter of months.

I agree about Keegan having to be involved in transfers, I think he'd finalise more deals than lose out to the competitors, especially those outside the top 4.

I think Keegan should choose every player that signs for the club that is in contention for the first team. I also think that he should talk to them one to one, all of them. I think its the only way to do it. But you disagreed with this when I said it once before ?

Crouch might be tempted to sign for Redknapp, so if we want him, then Keegan has to get him on his own and talk to him.  A decent signing like this is what the club needs to open the door for others to see. Get Owen signed up, and a midfield player to replace Solano, and that would be 3 good steps forward.

do you think keegan has the verve anymore ? i'm not so sure.

was watching the premiership years [93-94] on sky earlier. I'm not sure, he is definitely different. Maybe he's more mature and wiser now. Hopefully that is all.

It might need a bit of good progress to light the spark again.

Can't think who to get if he went, it would just be a hell of a blow.

congratulations for continuing to disagree with everything I say.  Some people will understand what I'm saying here, obviously not you though. I find it quite amazing that people like you call me a tosser for saying that I would like the club to sign what is, in my opinion, a good player that would come straight into the team and improve it.

Why don't you add something constructive to my comments instead of making silly insults ?

Rightly or wrongly, you look like you're always trying to cover the same stuff in every thread, have a look at your posts over the last few weeks.  I've got no problem with what you're saying in here but it doesn't need to be said in every thread and I'm trying to be constructive saying that.

You often have good points but they get lost as you look to be trying to put the club in its current setup down without giving it a chance.

I disagreed about his boot room and him asking Shearer why he wanted to sign for the club as it was Keegan telling Shearer why he thought that Shearer should sign for us.  I haven't disagreed about his involvement in possible transfers, it could be key to us making signings.

the "boot room" was a figure of speech, as well you knew.

This business with Crouch could be a big test for KK, and the negotiating arrangements put in place by the club.  If he doesn't get involved, he may sign for Redknapp.

Keegan is instrumental in signing players. He has to be involved, the manager should also be evaluating his signings, their motivation, character, ambitions etc, everything. 

This "Player X would choose club Y over club Z" argument is flawed, anyway.

The fact is that outside the top four, there really aren't a lot of defining factors between clubs, certainly not in the second tranche.

Big clubs of tradition - Newcastle, Everton, Villa, Spurs; clubs with a bit of nouveau wad : Man City, Portsmouth, West Ham; clubs where they pay way over the odds to get decent players: Boro; clubs where the wife won't let the player go because she doesn't fancy the shopping: Sunderland, Boro, Reading ..... you could put together a whole list of parameters these days.

The fact is that if they're not in the Champions League, there's really not a lot to distinguish between clubs these days, and the "X is a bigger club than Y" argument doesn't work like it might have done 20 years ago.

Agreed, I think different players want different things.  Some will want to feel wanted, some will just want money, others will want a lifestyle which fits whatever circumstances they have at the time.  A player who is married with no kids might want London, a player with kids might want something away from a city where his kids can get out and about.

I see your point. But a player who wanted the night life of London ? I would terminate the transfer as soon as I detected that.

Sign players who are dedicated to football and have hunger to succeed. Not players who look for the night life.

One thing Allardyce said , quite rightly too whatever happened to him in the end, is that players can live where they want when their career is over but while they are playing they should put football first and give it everything they have.

nice sentiment.....unlikely in reality

shame its right though.

it's what we'd all like....highly unlikely to happen

as I said. Shame its right though.

Sadly for you, its the policy the top 4 adopt and apply good character judgement to, but adopt your 2nd rate attitude and lower expectations instead if you like.

Unfortunately, they also have debts to sit alongside their trophies mackems.gif

The only thing unlikely to happen, is signing loads of 16 year old kids that all turn into the new Rob Lee

i'm not going to bite this time NE5. we aren't going to agree and you're dragging every thread to that argument. you're ruining the board whilst making yourself appear a tosser

no i say you make yourself lookm like a tosser by turning every thread you enter into the same debate. yes i disagree with you and we are at the point where its pointless going on as we aren't gpoing to agree on that issue yet even when i agree with you on something else guess what you dredge up again.

Well I think you are looking like a tosser by turning everything I say into a vendetta with me.

I'm not bothered if you disagree with me in the slightest, but making insults instead of commenting on what I say doesn't say much for you.

I'm not "dredging" anything up at all. I think something is wrong with the setup of the club, but I would be happy to sign Crouch, it may be the start of more success in the transfer market and hopefully will be.

re read this pyramid....if you aren't dredging up your same old argument then i;m wrong but i think most will see exactly where i'm coming from.

as for crouch i'd be quite happy. nowhere near as bad as some make out. not my first choice but rather him than marcus bent or harewood types.

unless  it's london,madrid etc the area won't sell for the player...for us provincials it's purely about the club

I might have rose tinted specs but I think the area will sell for players, it's got loads going for it if we're bringing players in who want more than a smoke filled city.

indeed. Keegan has said himself that his way of doing transfers is to talk to players one to one , but didn't you take issue with  this when I mentioned it ?

I've got little doubt that if it came to a straight choice between Redknapp and Keegan, then Keegan would have to be involved to persuade Crouch to sign for Newcastle. He quite simply must be involved in these transfers.

I don't think I would take issue about Keegan talking to players as I would hate to think that he wasn't involved although I don't think he should also do the scouting of players or the negotiation of transfer details.  I think the two lists of names that we had produced is a good idea especially as Keegan has been away from the game for a while and only been at the club a matter of months.

I agree about Keegan having to be involved in transfers, I think he'd finalise more deals than lose out to the competitors, especially those outside the top 4.

do you think keegan has the verve anymore ? i'm not so sure.

was watching the premiership years [93-94] on sky earlier. I'm not sure, he is definitely different. Maybe he's more mature and wiser now. Hopefully that is all.

It might need a bit of good progress to light the spark again.

Can't think who to get if he went, it would just be a hell of a blow.

if he left i think we'd be looking abroad. he just seems like his enthusiasm has gone. admittedly this is what i see on tv etc so it may be he can't be arsed with that side as (naturally) the word from inside the club is the enthusiasm is still there. it's going to be a very interesting summer for good or bad and the frenzy that has already whipped up aint helping.

unless  it's london,madrid etc the area won't sell for the player...for us provincials it's purely about the club

I might have rose tinted specs but I think the area will sell for players, it's got loads going for it if we're bringing players in who want more than a smoke filled city.

go abroad and ask people who dont know the area...where would you like to live newcastle or london ? london is a huge pull for all we know it's a shit hole that we can't wait to escape fromon the occasions we have to travel there

if he left i think we'd be looking abroad. he just seems like his enthusiasm has gone. admittedly this is what i see on tv etc so it may be he can't be arsed with that side as (naturally) the word from inside the club is the enthusiasm is still there. it's going to be a very interesting summer for good or bad and the frenzy that has already whipped up aint helping.

I think Keegan is much more relaxed than first time around, even during our bad start I felt he was working out what was going on rather than showing any emotion.  That clip where he tried to squirt the water was insignificant but it showed to me that his hearts still in the game and this club means a lot to him.

I can’t wait for him to get his players in and see what he produces for us next season, I’m expecting a good one, probably the best since Bobby left.

go abroad and ask people who dont know the area...where would you like to live newcastle or london ? london is a huge pull for all we know it's a s*** hole that we can't wait to escape fromon the occasions we have to travel there

That's what I was getting at and that's where I think we might have a weakness with our current setup.

go abroad and ask people who dont know the area...where would you like to live newcastle or london ? london is a huge pull for all we know it's a s*** hole that we can't wait to escape fromon the occasions we have to travel there

That's what I was getting at and that's where I think we might have a weakness with our current setup.

the vast majority of under 30 multi-millionaires or soon to be multi millionaires would pick london. the only way we'd beat that is with cash or proving that as a club we have more going for us than said london club.....cash is doable...the rest isnt so easy

From watching us play in this 4-3-1-2 formation last season it looked obvious to me that one of our main problems was the lack of width down the right with only Beye offering anything with the occasional burst forward, if you compare that to the left side of the pitch where we had Martins starting from wide left and Barton covering plenty of ground then I think it shows the lack of balance down the right.

What we need is a striker that can pull out wide right but have the physical presence to play the 'big man' if we need to change formation back to a 4-4-2 in a game, Crouch isn't going to offer us this and tbh I don't think he's much better than Viduka when he's on form.

The club should go for Gomis or Darren Bent instead IMO.

Some sense at last.

People wanting Crouch have been abducted by tall thin aliens and anally probed and seem hypnotically attracted to him.

Alternatively - and better - is buying Crouch and a quality replacement for Solano

Not sure about that, I've always found Crouch quite poor in the air for someone of his size, he seems to get his head on the ball but struggles to get any sort of power and direction on it.

Agree we need better wide right though as a replacement for Solano/Geremi.

Crouch always strikes me as a bit of pillock being led by the nose by his WAG. But then so is Beckham so maybe we should put that to one side. Football-wise, it's been established that Crouch is mediocre in the air, which for a tall bloke, like Ameobi, is a bit condemning. So what does he bring as a target man? Is he strong enough to boss defenders? Is he strong enough to hold the ball up? I haven't really watched him closely, but if he's got those attributes he could do a job because he does score goals.

Guest nufc_geordie

Crouch always strikes me as a bit of pillock being led by the nose by his WAG. But then so is Beckham so maybe we should put that to one side. Football-wise, it's been established that Crouch is mediocre in the air, which for a tall bloke, like Ameobi, is a bit condemning. So what does he bring as a target man? Is he strong enough to boss defenders? Is he strong enough to hold the ball up? I haven't really watched him closely, but if he's got those attributes he could do a job because he does score goals.

Crouch is not that great in the air but being the height that he is, he is still more than adequate when dealing in aerial matters. His skill is with the ball at his feet. His physical size allows him to hold the ball up well and he is excellent at linking up play. For me he is certainly an improvement on Viduka. If we can replace first team players from this season with a better player in any position then I am all for it.

Crouch is not that great in the air but being the height that he is, he is still more than adequate when dealing in aerial matters. His skill is with the ball at his feet. His physical size allows him to hold the ball up well and he is excellent at linking up play. For me he is certainly an improvement on Viduka. If we can replace first team players from this season with a better player in any position then I am all for it.

Fair enough. Darren Bent would be a decent alternative.

bent would be my first choice for anything up to 10m

he's got more to his game, but that would only leave spurs with berb/keane right?  so they might not sell i suppose

obviously i'm not counting the 11 wonderkids they've got ready to walk into the first team like

Bent is a different type of target man, offering more power and pace which is what I usually prefer. In Crouch's favour, he probably holds the ball up better and is cleverer with his link play. Both would be good additions to the squad seeing as we are currently relying on Fatty Viduka being fit which he never is.

Crouch is only as good in a game as a referee will allow him to be. Get a stringent ref and he'll get called up for fouls pretty much every time he jumps. Get a lenient ref and he can be a nightmare for any defence.

Still don't rate him particularly highly to be honest, but at the moment we're not the most attractive proposition in the world so we have to ask - who can we get who's any better?

Crouch is only as good in a game as a referee will allow him to be. Get a stringent ref and he'll get called up for fouls pretty much every time he jumps. Get a lenient ref and he can be a nightmare for any defence.

Still don't rate him particularly highly to be honest, but at the moment we're not the most attractive proposition in the world so we have to ask - who can we get who's any better?

Darren Bent (imho of course)

Id rather we didnt swap one immobile striker for another - Bent over Crouch. Bent is also more verstalie in different formations and can lead the line on his own if we are under the cosh. 

Id rather we didnt swap one immobile striker for another - Bent over Crouch. Bent is also more verstalie in different formations and can lead the line on his own if we are under the cosh.  

Yeah but I think Bent is best when you build a team around him.  I can't see KK doing that if you don't he's just an average premiership striker.

Are people still seriously discussing this non-issue? He's not the player we want, end of.

Are you trying to say that KK doesn't want him or you don't want him?

If your saying that you don't want him, then i disagree with your judgement.