The worst midfield in the top 10?

Parky

Good thread Parky. Presumably all the 'Allardyce out' crew think our lot are better than most of the teams in the top 10.

Which says all you need to know really.

The reality sometimes is actually real.  [Parky/]  bluerazz.gif

No, you've lost me.

The Allardyce out crew are ignoring some of the home truths/realities reg our squad.

Our midfield doesn't stand up to proper scrutiny.

I'm not part of the Sam out crew, but it is his fault. I was dead against the buying of Barton and Smith, they're all hardwork and no quality.

Not exactly an abundance of alternatives and if Barton rediscovers his form from last season that would be a big leap forward.

I'm sure if you asked a scout i'm sure he could name you quite a few good technical players around europe, we didn't have to buy english.

Good thread Parky. Presumably all the 'Allardyce out' crew think our lot are better than most of the teams in the top 10.

The reality sometimes is actually real.  [Parky/]  bluerazz.gif

No, you've lost me.

The Allardyce out crew are ignoring some of the home truths/realities reg our squad.

I'm not part of the Sam out crew, but it is his fault. I was dead against the buying of Barton and Smith, they're all hardwork and no quality.

Barton has a great deal of quality.

Barton is a grafter, always has been. He's never been a good technical player and his passing has always been dodgy.

You can put all sorts of interpretations on who replaced who in the summer transfer window. But as I see it Geremi replaced Solano and Smith replaced Dyer.

Geremi and Smith don't even begin to offer us what Nobby and Dyer did. And let's just, for a moment, think about Dyer the footballer and forget the baggage. 

The reality sometimes is actually real.  [Parky/]   bluerazz.gif

No, you've lost me.

Barton has a great deal of quality.

Barton is a grafter, always has been. He's never been a good technical player and his passing has always been dodgy.

IN YOUR OPINION. Had you ever seen him play before he joined us? and i'm not talking about on telly.

I have and he's anything but. He has a good pass and has scored 7 goals with 5 assists last season. Might not be Ronaldo but thats not bad for a "grafter".

Guest kingdawson

outside of the top 4 I think I'd rank overall squad strength as Portsmouth-Everton-Blackburn-Villa-City-Spurs. I'd like to think we have better players than West Ham at least.

Villa's team is strong, but the squad is weak - far too small. Take out goalkeepers and we've got 17 players in the squad. It woudn't take too many injuries to not be able to name a bench.

Good point that, wasn't distinguishing between team and squad. City and Spurs aren't exactly brimming with depth either though, so I figure the rankings would stay the same.

Were not brimming with Depth???

Lennon

Routledge

Malbranque

Taarabt

Zokora

Jenas

Huddlestone

Tainio

Boateng

Ghaly

and also Bale plays there.

outside of the top 4 I think I'd rank overall squad strength as Portsmouth-Everton-Blackburn-Villa-City-Spurs. I'd like to think we have better players than West Ham at least.

Villa's team is strong, but the squad is weak - far too small. Take out goalkeepers and we've got 17 players in the squad. It woudn't take too many injuries to not be able to name a bench.

Good point that, wasn't distinguishing between team and squad. City and Spurs aren't exactly brimming with depth either though, so I figure the rankings would stay the same.

Lennon

Routledge

Malbranque

Taarabt

Zokora

Jenas

Huddlestone

Tainio

Boateng

Ghaly

Sadly Routledge, Zokora, jenas, Tainio and Ghaly are all shit ;)

You're right though, youve got the numbers in midfield. Bale is immensely impressive.

A midfield of Duff/N'Zogbia, Geremi, Barton and Milner looks pretty strong on paper, I'd like to see those four given a few games in a 4-4-2.  When you have a three man midfield and two of them are Butt and Smith it doesn't look anywhere near as good.

I'd still rather have any of the others midfields.

Look at the power and depth in the Pompey midfield.

Kranjcar

Muntari

Diop        

Davis

Taylor

Mendes

Kranjcar, Muntari and Diop are class!

Smith - a striker who hasn't scored in 2yrs playing in midfield

Emre - hasnt delivered in his time here, doubt many teams above us would want him

Milner - 100% effort, final ball lacking. Still one of our best

N'Zogbia - Best midfielder we have, plays in defence

Butt - inconsistent

Geremi - its showing that he's rarely played in last 2 seasons

Barton - Done absolutely nothing & overhyped to begin with

Duff - was finished 3 seasons back

I wouldn't be disapointed if any of those left, apart from Zoggy and Milner (as a back up RW)

*tinhat on*

Guest kingdawson

Emre - hasnt delivered in his time here, doubt many teams above us would want him

Butt - inconsistent

I wouldn't be disapointed if any of those left, apart from Zoggy and Milner (as a back up RW)

*tinhat on*

Barton's a class player mate. He's not 100% fit so give him time but im convinced he will come good eventually.

Lennon

Routledge

Malbranque

Taarabt

Zokora

Jenas

Huddlestone

Tainio

Boateng

Ghaly

Sorry, forgot half those players existed.

well.. you've got the numbers, I'll give you that.

Butt - inconsistent

*tinhat on*

I agree with everything you've said.

Butt - inconsistent

*tinhat on*

Fair.

I have a lot of hope for the Zoggblaster tho.

To be fair to Barton, the Blackburn game was the first he looked anywhere near match fit and he was comfortably one of our best players.

True. Can't believe people are writing him off already (if they are).

To be fair to Barton, the Blackburn game was the first he looked anywhere near match fit and he was comfortably one of our best players.

True. Can't believe people are writing him off already (if they are).

A great signing. Just hope the c*nt stays out of prison.

Spurs have got 4 quality strikers, 1 quality midfields + 1 decent one in reserve, and a dozen or so defenders, though I've never heard of half of them. Having said that, if Robinson is no. 1 keeper, it's probably fair to assume their backups are really crap.

Guest kingdawson

Spurs have got 4 quality strikers, 1 quality midfields + 1 decent one in reserve, and a dozen or so defenders, though I've never heard of half of them. Having said that, if Robinson is no. 1 keeper, it's probably fair to assume their backups are really crap.

who's our quality midfielder then?

Jenas  :lol:

Guest kingdawson

Jenas  :lol:

Thanks WACKO :thup:

Lennon

Malbranque

...are the two who are goodish. Lennon shows a lot but doesn't produce so much, but he will get better. The Pompey mf is better than both of ours imo. It's got muscle, pace and  a bit of ingenuity.

Butt - inconsistent

*tinhat on*

Smith- Hardworking, experianced, versitile and highley rated by ALOT of managers.

Emre- Gifted player constantly played in wrong positions.

Milner- As you say gives 100% and has one of the best cross conversion records in the prem.

N'Zogbia- Class, played in defence.

Butt- Highley experianced and disciplined. Massive pedigree, was one of our best players last year.

Geremi- Rarely loses the ball, wins tackles, gets quite a few assists and is a leader.

Barton- I rate him very highly, give him time and he will prove me correct (hopefully).

Duff- Quality player, fitness has let him down.

My point is that positive and negative slants can be put on anything in football. It all depends what type of person you are. For me with the quality we have we should be looking for top 8, if we dont make it, it won't be down to talent.

Butt - inconsistent

*tinhat on*

Smith- Hardworking, experianced, versitile and highley rated by ALOT of managers.

Emre- Gifted player constantly played in wrong positions.

Milner- As you say gives 100% and has one of the best cross conversion records in the prem.

N'Zogbia- Class, played in defence.

Butt- Highley experianced and disciplined. Massive pedigree, was one of our best players last year.

Geremi- Rarely loses the ball, wins tackles, gets quite a few assists and is a leader.

Barton- I rate him very highly, give him time and he will prove me correct (hopefully).

Duff- Quality player, fitness has let him down.

My point is that positive and negative slants can be put on anything in football. It all depends what type of person you are. For me with the quality we have we should be looking for top 8, if we dont make it, it won't be down to talent.

I appreciate your sentiments. But our midfield is the weakest in the top teams.