when 1st january comes

Guest LucasUnger

I think Samir Nasri of Marseille looks very promising young player with bags of tricks. I think if Morte is serious about buying young players in Jan. then why not test Marseille willingness to sell with a bid.

I think Samir Nasri of Marseille looks very promising young player with bags of tricks. I think if Morte is serious about buying young players in Jan. then why not test Marseille willingness to sell with a bid.

Agree! I want that Nasri!! :frantic:

Is he not very good, to the extent that Fat Sam will drop him, play a (much needed elsewhere) player out of position in his slot, or pretend he is injured after a fucking hideous performance? Or, even better, is he a mid table slogger with no real flair or genuine class, who is prepared to put in loads of "graft", without troubling the opposition much?

Cos if not, don't get your hopes up.

€30m.

€30m.

worth it. i reckon you could build a team around the young lad

?30m.

worth it. i reckon you could build a team around the young lad

Mort's too tight.

Go for Alan Hutton and say bye bye to Carr.

What about Habib?

Due to my irrational hatred of Carr I'd rather he was replaced by some kid from the youth team than an expensive signing.

Aye, certainly not a priority or anything. Just thought i'd throw the name in. Looked great for Scotland in the last couple of qualifiers.

Why weren't we in for Castillo? Was brilliant in the Copa America ffs!! I know he wanted Sven, but surely we could have been in there fighting for him. Would be a very good signing imo, can play striker and a link between the midfield and the other striker(s).

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2007/12/19/sam-we-need-more-players-72703-20268296/

Sam: We need more players

Dec 19 2007  by Alan Oliver, Evening Chronicle

SAM ALLARDYCE has admitted that he is on the look-out for “two or three players” when the transfer window opens in just 13 days’ time.

But the Newcastle United boss stressed today that he is only looking for quality players.

Big Sam is buoyed up by the fact a rejuvenated United have picked up seven points out of the last nine, but admitted the impending African Nations Cup is casting a shadow over him.

Oba Martins links up with Nigeria on January 3, with Senegal claiming Habib Beye and Abdoulaye Faye over the weekend of January 10-11.

Allardyce’s skipper Geremi is also off, although Cameroon have not told United when.

The United boss does not have that much strength in depth, and to lose four key players for anything up to six weeks is a big worry to him.

Big Sam told me today: “We need two or three players and we are on the ball over this.

“But we do need quality players and I just hope we can find them.”

Allardyce woke up this morning to headlines linking him with a £6m move for Barcelona striker Eidur Gudjohnsen, whom he brought through in his time at Bolton Wanderers, but I don’t believe he will have this kind of money to spend in January.

Meanwhile, The Chronicle revealed last week that Manchester City boss Sven-Goran Eriksson had gone cool on Michael Owen – and the reason is now clear.

For City have taken Mexican international striker Nery Castillo from Shakhtar Donetsk on a year’s loan.

City and the player have split the 5m fee the loan is costing.

I can reveal United were also interested in doing business for Castillo, but they were put off by the loan fee.

I have had a few discussions with big Sam about the January transfer window and get the impression that in normal circumstances he would be happy enough to let it slip by and concentrate on bringing his new men in during the close season.

But these are not normal circumstances and when United’s quartet head off to Ghana then the manager will just about be down to the bare bones.

People in the game say that January is a bad time to buy, and the trio of defenders United themselves have brought in during this period in recent seasons – Celestine Babayaro, Jean Alain Boumsong and Oguchi Onyewu – did not exactly cover themselves in glory.

Why does everyone want owen out. The money's been paid, he says he's commited. Why on earth should we go -7m. The lads mustard. 

Because he's played 20 league games & only scored 9 league goals in two & half years.

Not a bad goal:game ratio that then.