Mort: I’m in charge

Mr Logic

Fact? The only fact is that final paragraph is laughable.

All will be revealed eventually. Lets just hope that the "right players" don't go elsewhere while we are more concerned with balancing the books instead.

Indeed. I suppose it's easier to make up assumptions on the future based on nothing though.

No judgement as yet, but you can see certain signs from Morts statement unless you choose to be blind to it.

The fact that they aren't prepared to spend money in January

it suggests they are happy with our current displays and don't appear to want to attempt to get into europe

Look like pretty clear judgements to me.

Of course there are perhaps worrying signs in the comments. Let's see what happens first, eh?

Indeed. I hope Allardyce is the person who signs the players, and not Mort though. And I hope they are better quality than most of those who came in during the summer.

Bobby Robson also set out to look for promising young players, who would maybe become top players.

Needless to say, it didn't work, and there is absolutely no grounds to think it would work again

Welcome back BUT we did get in the CL with them some of them kids, two of them won young player of year & one of them was Bellers.

Forgot to add this line in:

"Sam's not pitched to me that we need to sign players because of that tournament."

Changes things further.

Didn't realise SA was a telesales pro.

You disappoint me greatly lately, Parkster. :-[

Bobby Robson also set out to look for promising young players, who would maybe become top players.

Needless to say, it didn't work, and there is absolutely no grounds to think it would work again

Welcome back BUT we did get in the CL with them some of them kids, two of them won young player of year & one of them was Bellers.

oh yes, good points. I agree completely, and I understand what you are getting at. Some of them flopped though. I'm not saying its a good path to follow, but I think its naive to concentrate ONLY on this. You can't turn your back on younger players any more than you can turn your back on the big name player who will raise expectation and profile of your club. At the end of the day, its about good judgement, whatever the age.

We've never recovered from losing Bellamy, actually, or replaced him adequately.

It only adds weight to the fact that we were in fact doing quite well for a canny few years........

oh yes, good points. I agree completely, and I understand what you are getting at. Some of them flopped though. I'm not saying its a good path to follow, but I think its naive to concentrate ONLY on this. You can't turn your back on younger players any more than you can turn your back on the big name player who will raise expectation and profile of your club. At the end of the day, its about good judgement, whatever the age.

We've never recovered from losing Bellamy, actually, or replaced him adequately.

It only adds weight to the fact that we were in fact doing quite well for a canny few years........

As young as we thought Bobbys Boys were, we had Shay, Speed, Solano & Shearer in the mix as well.

Also missing Bellamy is so 3 years ago, it is all about missing Gary Speed in the midfield now.

Forgot to add this line in:

"Sam's not pitched to me that we need to sign players because of that tournament."

Changes things further.

Didn't realise SA was a telesales pro.

You disappoint me greatly lately, Parkster. :-[

Come on just a throwaway comment sweetie.

You can't turn your back on younger players any more than you can turn your back on the big name player who will raise expectation

are you saying that raising expectation is good? if so why? not spoiling for a fight, just seems like a strange thing to say

You can't turn your back on younger players any more than you can turn your back on the big name player who will raise expectation

are you saying that raising expectation is good? if so why? not spoiling for a fight, just seems like a strange thing to say

of course raising expectation is good. Why shouldn't it be ? Thats the whole idea. Would you rather support a club who would be happy to just stay up, for instance ? If so, you should have supported NUFC through the 1960's, 70's and 80's. For instance.

NUFC and expectations have raised and changed completely since 1992, and not a single NUFC supporter would say otherwise [or maybe there is, there's always one, or two, or three.............]

As young as we thought Bobbys Boys were, we had Shay, Speed, Solano & Shearer in the mix as well.

Also missing Bellamy is so 3 years ago, it is all about missing Gary Speed in the midfield now.

We are missing a few players mate

of course raising expectation is good. Why shouldn't it be ? Thats the whole idea. Would you rather support a club who would be happy to just stay up, for instance ? If so, you should have supported NUFC through the 1960's, 70's and 80's. For instance.

NUFC and expectations have raised and changed completely since 1992, and not a single NUFC supporter would say otherwise [or maybe there is, there's always one, or two, or three.............]

i think that the raising of expectations should go hand in hand with progress though, and by that i mean higher league finishes, you seem to be getting the cart before the horse there, i think trying to raise expectation in any other way is a very dangerous game to play, dont you? surely expectation and whats ACTUALLY happening should be directly related, that way you acheive a greater harmony around the club. i'm not saying dont be ambitious, just dont be daft.

Bytheway, where has Mort actually said that we wont be signing any players this jan? I've heard him say he's not looking to sign replacement players for the ANC, and ive also heard that he's looking to sign younger players for the future, i also heard him say that as of yet SA hasnt "pitched" anything to him.

I'm struggling to see any definitive negatives from that article. In fact it makes complete sense to me, and people with a bit of intelligence will see the same thing.

The january transfer period is such a silly idea, it automatically adds a premium to players prices because it is slap bang in the middle of the season, i think that Mort realises this and has come out and openely said he's not looking to try and sign more defender because (and rightly so) he believes the ones we have at our disposal are more than adequate to do an excellent job. There can be no arguments there, all have shown glimpses of being excellent players.

He's also come out and said that he doesnt intend to replace the players he's losing to the ANC, which i agree with as well. If that position is adequately filled then just because you are going to lose the player for a few weeks it doesnt make business sense to try and fill that position at premium prices.

I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that if a player is required because the position he plays is a weakness for the side, then Mort will release funds for the transfer.

i think that the raising of expectations should go hand in hand with progress though, and by that i mean higher league finishes, you seem to be getting the cart before the horse there, i think trying to raise expectation in any other way is a very dangerous game to play, dont you? surely expectation and whats ACTUALLY happening should be directly related, that way you acheive a greater harmony around the club. i'm not saying dont be ambitious, just dont be daft.

Expectations are totally different to when the old board took over the club in 1992 mate. Thats a fact. It's proven by the fact that 52000 people go to home games, whereas before that it was less than half. And people actually demand to qualify for europe, whereas people used to just be happy to be in the top league [and I'm not just talking about the fans here]

Bytheway, where has Mort actually said that we wont be signing any players this jan? I've heard him say he's not looking to sign replacement players for the ANC, and ive also heard that he's looking to sign younger players for the future, i also heard him say that as of yet SA hasnt "pitched" anything to him.

I'm struggling to see any definitive negatives from that article. In fact it makes complete sense to me, and people with a bit of intelligence will see the same thing.

The january transfer period is such a silly idea, it automatically adds a premium to players prices because it is slap bang in the middle of the season, i think that Mort realises this and has come out and openely said he's not looking to try and sign more defender because (and rightly so) he believes the ones we have at our disposal are more than adequate to do an excellent job. There can be no arguments there, all have shown glimpses of being excellent players.

He's also come out and said that he doesnt intend to replace the players he's losing to the ANC, which i agree with as well. If that position is adequately filled then just because you are going to lose the player for a few weeks it doesnt make business sense to try and fill that position at premium prices.

I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that if a player is required because the position he plays is a weakness for the side, then Mort will release funds for the transfer.

Sean Wright Phillips ?

For example.

Expectations are totally different to when the old board took over the club in 1992 mate. Thats a fact. It's proven by the fact that 52000 people go to home games, whereas before that it was less than half. And people actually demand to qualify for europe, whereas people used to just be happy to be in the top league [and I'm not just talking about the fans here]

why cant i have a discussion with you without feeling like your just out on a crusade to vindicate the old board? you're ignoring what i'm saying and responding to points i haven't made, i didnt say expectations haven't risen, i'm not saying people didnt used to be happy just being in the top league, i'm saying expectations should correlate with how the TEAM and CLUB is progressing. not with how much money we spend, although at some point these things are going to be related, obviously, i think its a much more delicate balance than just throwing money at it

Sean Wright Phillips ?

For example.

Why not? Although i dont think Allardyce would have him, too inflexible, not really adept at playing different positions. On the flip side though, you'd be paying an extortiate price for him, i personally dont think that right wing is the essential position to fill, but is very high up on the list, i'd honestly like to see a DM, then a right winger. Then the "final" piece to the jigsaw, an AM.

Good post.

Our club is being rebuilt, like it or not but in reality it had to be.  Mort is starting off from a low position, he took over as chairman of a club that had no money, the pot of cash that he has to work with was a negative, we were massively in the red and that has been sorted thanks to Ashley who has invested £75 million, £75 million doesn't wipe out the debt, it leaves us with a level of debt which can be managed unlike the £100 million plus that we had in the summer.

I don't want to be relying on a rich benefactor dipping into his pockets to buy the next player, I want the chairman to have a pot of cash that he can use without having to go begging.  I don't know how the TV money is paid and when but I know most, if not all is paid at the end of the season and is based on league position.  I'm sure the top club gets £50 million with the bottom club getting £30 million.  Mort will not spend future income like we've done in the past, he'll spend what the club can afford and that is exactly the right thing to do if we want to have a long term future.

Last July/August we had a very thin squad after releasing so many players who had either been on loan or were not good enough so we had to pad the squad and virtually change the whole defence.  We brought in 9 players that we needed and because of that we've had a first team that has changed far too often, the manager hasn't helped but he's done what he's thought right.  We've got 9 new players who need to learn to work with each other and bringing in more new faces is only going to make things worse. 

If we spend our cash, however much that is, we'll bring in players who are not expected to play too often so they will not add to the problem which was created when we brought in so many new faces, that decision looks sound to me.

I hate writing off a season but all I want now from this one is to improve on last season and to be able to see signs of progress, signs that next season will be better than this one.  If we can do this year on year then we can't really complain too much.

I wouldn't say no to a bit more creativity in midfield in January but will not be slashing my wrists if it doesn't happen.

So far Mort has done everything right, so much for him not knowing how to run a football club.  He's come in and made decisions based on his past experience and his experience hasn't let him down yet.  He's bound to make mistakes, we all do, and at least we can be sure that if he does make a mistake it will be an honest one while he's trying to do his best for the club and the fans.

why cant i have a discussion with you without feeling like your just out on a crusade to vindicate the old board? you're ignoring what i'm saying and responding to points i haven't made, i didnt say expectations haven't risen, i'm not saying people didnt used to be happy just being in the top league, i'm saying expectations should correlate with how the TEAM and CLUB is progressing. not with how much money we spend, although at some point these things are going to be related, obviously, i think its a much more delicate balance than just throwing money at it

Spot on, yet again.

Guest kevin carrs gloves

I honestly cant understand why you would expect a rational debate with him TBH.

why cant i have a discussion with you without feeling like your just out on a crusade to vindicate the old board ? you're ignoring what i'm saying and responding to points i haven't made, i didnt say expectations haven't risen, i'm not saying people didnt used to be happy just being in the top league, i'm saying expectations should correlate with how the TEAM and CLUB is progressing. not with how much money we spend, although at some point these things are going to be related, obviously, i think its a much more delicate balance than just throwing money at it

its nothing of the kind mate. I realise you have a point - unlike some - and I'm trying to discuss it with you. I'm not vindicating anybody, the very fact you think that suggests you don't fully understand how expectations were raised under the old board. I shouldn't need to point this out at all, it is obvious. People aren't happy that we are only halfway in the top league just now, and last season, but that is because they expect higher placings because they are used to it.

While spending money is no guarantee of absolute success - the reason for that is because there are only 2 major trophies - but ask yourself if the teams that have won the trophies spent more. The answer is yes. Draw your own conclusions.

One thing is for sure, if we aren't prepared to bring in players to this club that the current top 4 want themselves, we will NEVER join them.

Thats not vindicating anybody. Its a stone cold fact.

I honestly cant understand why you would expect a rational debate with him TBH.

Well, I have attempted to have a rational debate with you elsewhere. But you don't respond with anything other than the moronic "I hate Shepherd" type quotes. As usual. Because your knowledge of the club doesn't extend beyond that.

You can attempt a discussion anytime you like, but the fact is, I've left you standing, you can't dispute the facts I've posted,  and you know it.

Spot on, yet again.

Its a decent post, to which I've replied, but you just agree with anybody who disagrees with me Mick.