SBR: NUFC has suffered ever since I was sacked

Dave

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/sport/football.html?in_article_id=502036

Sir Bobby Robson will tonight stir the pot further by claiming the club's problems can be traced back to his departure from St James' Park.

Robson was in charge for five years before being sacked after a poor run of results at the start of the 2004-05 season.

Graeme Souness and Glenn Roeder followed but failed to live up to expectations and now Allardyce, appointed in the summer, is the latest to feel the pressure.

'I took the club over when it was bottom of the league and in the last three years I was there it was third, fourth and fifth,' said Robson, 74, in an interview to be shown on on Setanta's Friday Football Show.

'We were in the top five for the last three years. I lost my job rather abruptly, I couldn't believe it. I didn't lose two consecutive matches and I lost my job, it was crazy. Without being egotistical, the club has suffered ever since.'

Hard to disagree, though the timing/handling not the actual decision was my issue with the whole debacle.

We'd have only probably finished 8th-10th that 2004-5 season had we kept Robson imo. Obviously better than what Souness did but we were already on the decline long before he finally went. We only finished 5th that last season because sides such as Bolton & Aston Villa weren't quite upto it. If the league had been as strong then as it is now with the likes of City, Blackburn, Everton, Villa, etc. as good as they are now, we'd have been nowhere near top 5.

We'd have only probably finished 8th-10th that 2004-5 season had we kept Robson imo. Obviously better than what Souness did but we were already on the decline long before he finally went. We only finished 5th that last season because sides such as Bolton & Aston Villa weren't quite upto it. If the league had been as strong then as it is now with the likes of City, Blackburn, Everton, Villa, etc. as good as they are now, we'd have been nowhere near top 5.

Agreed, hence my comment. Right decision, abysmal handling and timing.

http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php?topic=47813.msg1105978#msg1105978

:blush: :blush: :blush:

With my first glance at the title, I thought it was going to say "SBR has suffered a stroke" or something.

Fucking hell. :lol:

That's reading a little too much into a glance, not even close! :laugh:

Well, from the main forum index (latest posts), I just saw SBR and "has suffered"! Don't judge me!

http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php?topic=47813.msg1105978#msg1105978

:blush: :blush: :blush:

With my first glance at the title, I thought it was going to say "SBR has suffered a stroke" or something.

Fucking hell. :lol:

That's reading a little too much into a glance, not even close! :laugh:

Well, from the main forum index (latest posts), I just saw SBR and "has suffered"! Don't judge me!

Why did I imagine a 60 year old African American woman saying that and not our Wullbert?  :idiot2:

Agreed, hence my comment. Right decision, abysmal handling and timing.

Even then though, Robson's contract changed that pre-season from a one-year rolling contract to a one-year contract. Shepherd said before the season started that it was Robson's last year in charge, and for some reason he seemed shocked. I don't disagree with the sacking, the problem was who we replaced him with.

We were definitely on the slide. 5th or not, that last season was poor. It was only thanks to the form of Laurent Robert over the time leading up to Christmas that we finished where we did.

As has been said a million times, the timing and the replacement were abysmal, not to mention the unnecessary humiliation of a great man.

Appointing Souness set this club back fucking years. He alienated the good players we had and replaced them (at great cost) with absolute shite.

I now fucking hate the arrogant cunt (sorry Cath) with a passion you can only imagine.

shocking decision, he should've gone either the summer before or the end of that season. even worse was the decision to hire souness tho who would touch us after the way the chairman had undermined robson. impossible to say where we would've finished, but we had bad starts in the previous seasons and still finished top 5, while a marcus bent led everton finished 4th that season, wasn't exactly a vintage year for the premiership. with robert and bellamy kept in the side unlike under souness, bobby able to use shearer sparingly and keep kluivert-bellamy as the first choice partnership, i think we would've finished 6th.

It was the lack of dignity that was shown to Bobby that was my main bug bear.He should have been offered an upstairs job at the nd of the season he was sacked,and not sacked but just not had his rolling contract renewed.Then we wouldnt have had the kneejerk appointment of Souness,and who knows where we'd be now.

But Shepherd listened to the anti-Newcastle press,who were happy we sacked him,as he was our main popularity point.Shepherd should have walked for his complete incompetence in that matter,pity our current owner hadn't got involved then tbh.

The problems can be traced back to Robson not being able to control wankers like Dyer and others. Harsh, but true.

I blame the players (and generally society, because..oh bollocks, can't be arsed) for being arseholes but Robson can't escape without taking some (major) responsibiltiy given his position within the club. Robson's inability to control the arseholes is what caused the travesty of appointing the incompetent souness.

After saying that, I've nowt but respect for Robson. Great manager. Very unlucky to have suffered wankers like Dyer.

I dont understand why people thought that this was the correct decision to sack him. Was it the supposed lack of discipline in the dressing room? Is a sacking for supposedly losing the dressing room justifiable? I understand that missing out on CL for 2 seasons was hertbreaking but we had a great run in the UEFA cup. We were finally back on the right track. Why would anyone change a winning side on the basis of a supposed "lost dressing room".

To this day I still can't see any justification for the sacking or any logic in it for that manner. Ipersonally believe that SBR would of stepped down in his own time and would of helped in gettin a new manager as well.

The last season SBR in charge was the maximum limit he can bring the team, we can't go higher. And his maximum limit wasn't good enough, the evident is the FA Asian Cup against Chelsea, when we practically totally dominated by them in 90 minutes, and although drew 0-0, we lost on penalties (when Jenas sky-highed his chip penalty).

Sir Bobby shouldn't have been sacked, he should have been backed.  If he'd been backed financially as well as Allardyce has so far then I'm sure he would have done a lot better.

Remember, we were 13th the season before he arrived and he took us to European qualification so the money he brought into the club was massive. 

Sir Bobby spent something like £6 million net per year, Allardyce has been given £10 million so far in 6 months, and Bobby had a net spend of £1 million in his first year.  It took Bobby until his second anniversary to get to a net spend of just over £12 million which turned out to be his average net spend.  It just goes to show what you can do when you've got a very good manager, you don't have to splash the cash as if it's going to go out of fashion.

Sacking Sir Bobby was so short sighted that it defies belief, he was undermined, hung out to dry then sacked only to be replaced by Souness who was seen as a better manager than Robson.

The last season SBR in charge was the maximum limit he can bring the team, we can't go higher. And his maximum limit wasn't good enough, the evident is the FA Asian Cup against Chelsea, when we practically totally dominated by them in 90 minutes, and although drew 0-0, we lost on penalties (when Jenas sky-highed his chip penalty).

I'd take "his maximum limit" at this moment in time.  And his "maximum limit" was the season before his last when he finished 3rd, he finished 3rd then 5th and was then sacked for starting the season the way he had for the previous 2.

Wasn't it agreed that it was SBR's last season? Also was it not true that SBR said he will look for his successor using his global links in football to take Newcastle to the next level? Shepherd was a bastard for sacking Robson a season early for seemingly nothing. If we kept him another season, finished mid-high table then who knows where we would be now if we put in a SBR-chosen successor as manager. SBR was meant to look for his successor in his last season, Shepherd didn't give him this time, sacked him and made a pathetic attempt of an appointment in Souness.

As much as I love Bobby, he's got to give up the grudge.  Put it in the past, Sir Bobby and walk away from football, mate.  Enjoy the rest of your life as one of the best we've had.  Regardless, he is and always will be a legend.  :thup:

that said, we'd have played Kluivert and Bellamy up top, Robson knew Shearer was no longer a force in the premiership

6th is where we'd have finished in 04-05 imo

I dont understand why people thought that this was the correct decision to sack him. Was it the supposed lack of discipline in the dressing room? Is a sacking for supposedly losing the dressing room justifiable? I understand that missing out on CL for 2 seasons was hertbreaking but we had a great run in the UEFA cup. We were finally back on the right track. Why would anyone change a winning side on the basis of a supposed "lost dressing room".

To this day I still can't see any justification for the sacking or any logic in it for that manner. Ipersonally believe that SBR would of stepped down in his own time and would of helped in gettin a new manager as well.

You obviously weren't watching us play, then. 

We were not on the right track, we had been on the right track but had left it 18 months earlier, which is when Robson should have been nicely moved to one side. He was sacked too late.

Sir Bob is entitled to a little bit of smug self-satisfaction here. The fact is we are struggling to get back to the point where he left us.

The problem started when we failed to push on after the season before, when we finished 3rd. There was no money for new players, and the process of replacing Shearer was fudged. If you don't keep moving forward, you slip back.