Obafemi Martins

Kev

Criticism is pretty harsh tbh, today how many bad first touches did he have? hardly any that i can think of, in fact this whole season i can only remember one horror first touch that he did.

Today he looked disinterested on the right but when he was moved up front with the 4-4-2 he set up our second goal and put emre through, Zoggy through with a back heel and got himself through too but some good defending stopped his shot, and this was all in 15 minutes of being moved up. He's a good striker but not a good right winger.

He is not a bad footballer but at the moment he's lacking in confidence but we should be fair he has improved as a player this season, compared to last season.

People on this forum are doing what they always do when a player isn't on great form just criticising them making them out to be alot worse than they really are.

He'll never fit into a 433 system.

Agreed. To play effective 4-3-3 you need clever adaptable players. Oba is very instinctive and totally unflexible. Play him as a striker in a 4-4-2 or not at all.

Agreed. To play effective 4-3-3 you need clever adaptable players. Oba is very instinctive and totally unflexible. Play him as a striker in a 4-4-2 or not at all.

Yep. In a 4-4-2 he could basically be played as a luxery striker. Alongside someone who is guaranted to score goals, Martins could provide the 'special' and 'unpredictable' touch.

In a 4-3-3, with Martins always wanting to come infield, it in effect nullifies half of any potential width for us, putting more pressure on the left flank.

Yep. In a 4-4-2 he could basically be played as a luxery striker. Alongside someone who is guaranted to score goals, Martins could provide the 'special' and 'unpredictable' touch.

In a 4-3-3, with Martins always wanting to come infield, it in effect nullifies half of any potential width for us, putting more pressure on the left flank.

But he has scored the most goals for us this season, while being played out of position alot. Doesn't this make him the automatic starter in a 4-4-2? i think he is the main striker in a 4-4-2 that gets those goals. Another player should support him imo.

But he has scored the most goals for us this season, while being played out of position alot. Doesn't this make him the automatic starter in a 4-4-2? i think he is the main striker in a 4-4-2 that gets those goals. Another player should support him imo.

I've just said, yes, i'd play him in a 4-4-2.

Will Allardyce ever play Owen on the right wing with Viduka and Smith (the striker who never scores because he never shoots) upfront? Will he bollocks.

Martins is our top scorer so why does he get shunted to the right wing to accommodate Smith up front?

Only in the last 15 minutes when Martins was up front with Viduka, Milner on the right and Duff on the left did we ever look threatening.

But as the luxury striker. Since he has scored the most this season, he is guaranteed to score goals, why shouldn't he be the main striker.

But as the luxury striker. Since he has scored the most this season, why shouldn't he be the main starting striker?

Does it really matter if I call him a luxury if he's still playing? :lol:

But as the luxury striker. Since he has scored the most this season, why shouldn't he be the main starting striker?

Does it really matter if I call him a luxury if he's still playing? :lol:

Well no actually, it doesn't  ;D. I thought you meant he should not always start, be brought on for luxury, unpredictable touches. My mistake  :blush:

I have to laugh.

A couple weeks ago according to many on here, including the thread starter, big bad Michael Owen was keeping the best striker and Geordie saviour, Obafemi Martins out of the team, with Sam ignoring the fact that theadorable Little Oba would score several goals a match while simultaneously rescuing orphans from burning buildings if he was playing.

How things change very quickly.

The team is the most important thing but i really couldn't see big sam asking owen to do that wide role could you? I definetely couldn't!

Martins seems happy to do a job and doesn't seem to complaining about it one bit...... but if i was him i'd be pissed!

I'm a fan of Martins' and would rather see him in the team than out of it, but I think he has been very poor recently. I can appreciate that he's been playing out of position, but he is struggling with really simple things at the moment like bringing the ball down and passing it. I can't remember the last time he took on an opponent and beat him, he seems to beat himself most of the time lately. I dont think you can really put these simple faults down to him playing out of position.

Another thing I've noticed as well is that when he has a bit of time on the ball waiting for an overlapping run, he seems to telegraph what he's going to do to the whole stadium before he does it.

He's such an infuriating player, because you know he has so much more to offer.

He was very poor today, doesn't look like the same enigmatic exciting player of last season. Hardly surprising when the poor bugger is a left footed centre forward playing on the right wing. :lol: It'd be funny if it wasn't tragic.

He was very poor today, doesn't look like the same enigmatic exciting player of last season. Hardly surprising when the poor bugger is a left footed centre forward playing on the right wing. :lol: It'd be funny if it wasn't tragic.

What you fail to realise, Wullsten, is that the game has never been so cat and mouse. It's a game of chess now more than ever. So what if Martins isn't a winger? I want hard-working wide players, not wingers.

What you fail to realise, Wullsten, is that the game has never been so cat and mouse. It's a game of chess now more than ever. So what if Martins isn't a winger? I want hard-working wide players, not wingers.

He's not a proper player like. Get City of London nick on the phone, see what they want for Amdy Faye.