Alan Smith

tmonkey

If he was fit,I'd be selecting him up front ahead of Lovenkrands.

Yup, quality always conquers and given a run of games like Besty, he'll be banging them in like nobody's business. :thup:

Delighted he's signed a new contract. Check my Avatar to grasp how his appetite for a bulging onion net is, quite simply, insatiable!

If he was fit,I'd be selecting him up front ahead of Lovenkrands.

Yup, quality always conquers and given a run of games like Besty, he'll be banging them in like nobody's business. :thup:

Delighted he's signed a new contract. Check my Avatar to grasp how his appetite for a bulging onion net is, quite simply, insatiable!

??? :frantic:

If you can find evidence to the contrary, which suggests my figures are incorrect, then please do so.

The club have never refuted that at any point, as far as I am aware.

Chris, I really like you dude, but these kinds of statements to back up your facts are very far off-base.  You can't claim something and then say "well if you can't prove otherwise then it's fact" - that's not how the world works.

Now you're just having a debate around the difference between fact and opinion, What Chris and I have said is being argued for arguments sake.

We signed Alan Smith for £6m, on a five-year deal. His wages are reportedly between £50-60k a week. Don't you work for Football Manager, ObiChrisKenobi? What are they on there for example?

Let's say we paid Man Utd in installments of £1 million a season, which would mean we've paid £4 million of his £6 million transfer fee. This coupled with wages of £60k a week, or £3.12 million a year, for 3 and a half years equates to just under £11 million. Which gives us a grand total of around £15 million, before bonuses and appearance fees etc.

Correct?

Johnny Hall and ObiChrisKenobi in pedantic, tedious argument shocker ...

If you can find evidence to the contrary, which suggests my figures are incorrect, then please do so.

The club have never refuted that at any point, as far as I am aware.

Chris, I really like you dude, but these kinds of statements to back up your facts are very far off-base.  You can't claim something and then say "well if you can't prove otherwise then it's fact" - that's not how the world works.

We're working with these figures because they've been suggested in a wide array of newspapers for years.  As much as we hate the press they do have sources.  If they really were that wrong, surely the club would dispute them.

If someone murders someone in the street, and the jury finds him guilty, they do so because there's evidence.  There's never proof unless a member of the jury saw the incident themselves.  But if twelve people give evidence saying they saw it, the jury weighs that it is beyond reasonable doubt that the person committed murder.

So, if we're being pedantic, it may not be proof that Smith is on high wages, but everything we have suggests that it is beyond reasonable doubt that he is on high wages.

Therefore I don't really see anything wrong with the calculations.  I'll take the point that I threw the word 'fact' around a little too loosely, but it's pretty damned close, I'd argue.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest neesy111

Just watched a clip of him scoring for us in the friendly against Sampdoria (2007) on youtube. Cracking header..........

I was there, thought he was gonna be a good signing after he played that game :(

He was very good last session. (2009/10)

oh no he wasn't. he was very good at cardiff and thats about it (he was good at home to villa this season)

He wasn't bad against WBA on the first day of the season either.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

He was very good last session. (2009/10)

A few good games, but even there he was so limited.

I thought he was pretty good for the first half of last season when we were insistent on playing for narrow victories. He pretty much became surplus though for the second half of the season when we realised we were actually too good for most of the teams in the division and started rolling them over.

Guest Stephen927

Find it hard to hate Smudger like, it's not his fault he's quite a lot below average.

I still feel a bit sorry for him that Fergie ruined his career by making him a midfielder.

The leg break and dislocated ankle he suffered at Anfield is more to blame, really.

Find it hard to hate Smudger like, it's not his fault he's quite a lot below average.

I still feel a bit sorry for him that Fergie ruined his career by making him a midfielder.

The leg break and dislocated ankle he suffered at Anfield is more to blame, really.

Aye, probably, can't really remember what he was like before that TBH.

Guest Stephen927

Aye, probably, can't really remember what he was like before that TBH.

6 league goals up front in his first season there, 10 in all competitions. Had a fair bit competition though with Rooney and Van Nistlerooy. His big injury was in 2005 so didn't have that much time to get used to his new role. Think he played more as a striker for them when he did come back from injury cos Van Nistlerooy had left.

I thought he was pretty good for the first half of last season when we were insistent on playing for narrow victories. He pretty much became surplus though for the second half of the season when we realised we were actually too good for most of the teams in the division and started rolling them over.

He's never been 'pretty good' at any stage of his NUFC career. His contribution ranges from shite to absolute fucking holocaust.